Time for a GAA quiz

Started by Hardy, May 09, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Just clearing out some stuff and came across my answer sheet from a quiz last week. They are not the toughest, but can you get them all (without cheating)

1. What year did Dundalk Schools win the Leinster Colleges football? (this decade)
2. What county play their home games at St Conleth's park?
3. Who scored 1-16 in the fitzgibbon cup final and was on the losing team?
4. Who scored the winning goal in the 1957 AI SFC Final?
5. Who was the last captain before Declan O'Sullivan to lift Sam on two successive years?
6. Name the ground in Omagh?
7. What county lost out to Dublin in last year's O'Byrne cup final?
8. Which was the last county to win a provincial title for the first time?
9. Name Nicky Rackard's county?
10. Who are the reigning AI club football champions?
11. Name the two Ulster county who have won five AI SFC titles each?
12. Name the only twins to have both won all star awards?
13. Who are the current Louth main sponsors?

They aren't hard I know, but get them all, no cheating!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

RedandGreenSniper

. What year did Dundalk Schools win the Leinster Colleges football? (this decade)
2. What county play their home games at St Conleth's park?  Kildare
3. Who scored 1-16 in the fitzgibbon cup final and was on the losing team? Joe Canning
5. Who was the last captain before Declan O'Sullivan to lift Sam on two successive years? Tony Hanahoe for Dublin in 76 and 77?
6. Name the ground in Omagh? Healy Park
8. Which was the last county to win a provincial title for the first time? Westmeath 2004
9. Name Nicky Rackard's county? Wexford
10. Who are the reigning AI club football champions? St Vincent's
11. Name the two Ulster county who have won five AI SFC titles each? Cavan and Down
12. Name the only twins to have both won all star awards? Ben and Jerry O'Connor?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

slow corner back

Quote from: Fear ionad on November 11, 2008, 05:20:45 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 09, 2008, 02:21:45 PM
Already fully answered:
1.   Which county has lost the most AIFs?
- Kerry (18)

2.   Name all counties with a 100% record in AIFs.
- Down, Donegal, Limerick.

3.   Name all counties with a 0% record in AIFs (not counting those who've never appeared).
-  Laois, Monaghan, Antrim, London, Waterford, Clare
(Moysider correct)

5.   Which county has waited the longest since its last All-Ireland win?
- Limerick (since 1896)

6.   What's the highest winning score in an AIF?
- Dublin 1977 (5-12) and Kerry 2006 (4-15)

7.   What's the highest losing score in an AIF?
- 2-13 Galway 1973

8.   What's the highest number of goals scored in an AIF?
(I meant total goals)
- 8 in 1977 and another year not answered

Remaining unanswered:
4.   How many AIF's have been drawn?

Has anyone else any questions? The place is infested with questions about soccer and songs and gayness and more soccer, which is just a form of gayness anyway.

For number 3 above, only two of those answers are true if you count hurling AIFs as well.  (Which two?)

Another question: what is the only county with a 100% record in hurling AIFs?

For q3 part 2 Antrim is definitely one of them with the other being Laois?
Antrim have a 100% loosing record in all ireland finals if that counts?
For a wining record try Kerry?

Louth Exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 29, 2009, 07:14:58 PM
. What year did Dundalk Schools win the Leinster Colleges football? (this decade)
3. Who scored 1-16 in the fitzgibbon cup final and was on the losing team? Joe Canning
5. Who was the last captain before Declan O'Sullivan to lift Sam on two successive years? Tony Hanahoe for Dublin in 76 and 77?
8. Which was the last county to win a provincial title for the first time? Westmeath 2004
11. Name the two Ulster county who have won five AI SFC titles each? Cavan and Down
12. Name the only twins to have both won all star awards? Ben and Jerry O'Connor?

All answered were correct, I think you were deliberately boycotting the Louth questions  :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Ball Hopper

8.   What's the highest number of goals scored in an AIF?
(I meant total goals)
- 8 in 1977 and another year not answered

1948 Cavan 4-5 Mayo 4-4.  And Cavan conceded 4 goals to Louth in the semi-final as well.

bh

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Louth Exile on January 29, 2009, 10:32:41 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 29, 2009, 07:14:58 PM

Simply hadn't a clue of any of those bucko!

All answered were correct, I think you were deliberately boycotting the Louth questions  :D

Louth Exile

Since the AIF final in the polo grounds, which is the only Senior AI football final to have had an official attendance of less than 60,000 people??

overdabar

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 12, 2009, 01:51:43 PM
Since the AIF final in the polo grounds, which is the only Senior AI football final to have had an official attendance of less than 60,000 people??

Down v Dublin 1994

Bensars

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 12, 2009, 01:51:43 PM

Must have been around the time of the redevelopment. If i remember rightly hogan stand completed first. Cusack was being rebuilt  sept 94. So 94' when Down defeated the cheeky dubs

Homer

Homer

Quote from: Bensars on February 12, 2009, 02:10:09 PM
Quote from: Homer on February 12, 2009, 02:08:49 PM
Kerry v Offaly 81/82?

With Kerry going for 5 in a row.   No , the bandwagon was burstn to the seams !

Down, Dublin is probably the right answer but I remember those two finals were fairly low attended.

blanketattack

Which player played senior football for his county before he played senior football for his club?

Doogie Browser

Bensars

Quote from: blanketattack on February 12, 2009, 03:45:02 PM
Which player played senior football for his county before he played senior football for his club?

Peter Canavan. Was a member of killyclogher hurling while playing vocational and minor. As Glencull never played in Tyrone i assume it was prior to the formation of errigal Ciaran

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: blanketattack on February 12, 2009, 03:45:02 PM

There's probably a good few. Fairly certain Ronan McGarrity is one I think. Just back from American basketball scholarship in 2004 when Maughan brought him in from nowhere. Maybe the Ballina lads can confirm?