Good Friday and Privilege Days

Started by Dinny Breen, April 09, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Seriously why do civil servants/public servants get Good Friday off and and recieve a privilege day as well? My understanding is that this day use to be to allow rural employees of the Civil Service in the 1940s an extra day to travel home from the city for the holidays. Madness and a waste of tax payers money that this still continues today.

In fairness I have no issue with Good Friday and think everyone should have it off but the privilege day just bugs me...
#newbridgeornowhere

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 09, 2009, 03:47:16 PM
Seriously why do civil servants/public servants get Good Friday off and and recieve a privilege day as well? My understanding is that this day use to be to allow rural employees of the Civil Service in the 1940s an extra day to travel home from the city for the holidays. Madness and a waste of tax payers money that this still continues today.
In fairness I have no issue with Good Friday and think everyone should have it off but the privilege day just bugs me...

Dinny

Is that statement relating to the Civil Service in general or the Privilege day?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hank Everlast

Civil servants do not get good friday off.

Dinny Breen

QuoteCivil servants do not get good friday off.

Eh? Fairly sure they do in the south and I support 2 pubic servant bodies and they are bothoff  tomorrow and next Tuesday (privilege day!)

The Privilege day is a waste of Tax Payers money although the Dept of Finance has to be the biggest waste of money in the land, couldn't  forecast a reverse forecast in a dog race with only two dogs...
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

Yep Tuesday is a privilege day as Fairyhouse will be full of Civil Servants who couldn't be bothered going on the Monday!!!

Lecale2

God ye are awful hard on the Civil Sevants all of of a sudden! Why aren't ye all on the back of the farmers as usual?

INDIANA

civil servants do get it off. A family member is one. I get a choice- I prefer to work Good Friday- arguably the most boring day in the world- waste of a day off in my view.

maggie

Quote from: INDIANA on April 09, 2009, 09:38:18 PM
civil servants do get it off. A family member is one. I get a choice- I prefer to work Good Friday- arguably the most boring day in the world- waste of a day off in my view.

I'm sure J.C would disagree with you there.

Puckoon

Im not even gettin 1 bleedin day off work.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 09, 2009, 04:45:41 PM
QuoteCivil servants do not get good friday off.

Eh? Fairly sure they do in the south and I support 2 pubic servant bodies and they are bothoff  tomorrow and next Tuesday (privilege day!)

The Privilege day is a waste of Tax Payers money although the Dept of Finance has to be the biggest waste of money in the land, couldn't  forecast a reverse forecast in a dog race with only two dogs...

Nice one.

mrsandman

Quote from: hardstation on April 09, 2009, 10:58:59 PM
Stations of the Cross tomorrow. Watching The Passion of the Christ here, the stations could be worse. Jesus gets his **** kicked in for the first time.......Snatters come flying out of Jesus' neb.........

Ah, Jaysus, it's a hard aul station.

pardon the pun
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.