All Ireland Scór 2009

Started by downgirl, January 18, 2009, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: gaa_phil on April 20, 2009, 06:27:06 PM
I felt sorry for your girl from armagh doing the recitation; she was beat by "The present"; didn't some fella from Cornafean win the Ulster with that 2 years ago?

Indeed, Michael McGibney did "The Present" in the AIF two years ago. I heard that the guy from Moate did a fantastic job of it on Saturday. Well done to him.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

gaa_phil

Indeed, Michael McGibney did "The Present" in the AIF two years ago. I heard that the guy from Moate did a fantastic job of it on Saturday. Well done to him.
[/quote]

Yes your man from Cornafean was excellent at it, I think even better than your man from Moate. He was robbed in the All-Ireland that year!

Ball Hopper

Anyone have the words to "the Present"?

corn02

gaa_phil

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 21, 2009, 02:05:49 PM
Anyone have the words to "the Present"?

No its not the french one, its about a man looking for a woman and he buys her a present, getting it mixed up with her mothers knickers  ;D written by some man Mcgeeney (probably spelt wrong) from Armagh. I think perhaps Ciaran Mcgeeney's father! You'll get it on one of the Bard of Armagh cd's!

Ball Hopper

Was it a pair of gloves he bought her?

That's an old comedy routine alright...I remember Brendan Grace doing it as an impersonation of Monica Carr.

Bonus marks for anyone who can tell me who Monica Carr is.

cornafean

Quote from: gaa_phil on April 21, 2009, 05:57:05 PM
written by some man Mcgeeney (probably spelt wrong) from Armagh. I think perhaps Ciaran Mcgeeney's father! You'll get it on one of the Bard of Armagh cd's!

Yes, Pat McGeeney, who is indeed Kieran's father. Small world.

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 21, 2009, 08:16:33 PM

That's an old comedy routine alright...I remember Brendan Grace doing it as an impersonation of Monica Carr.

Yes, a pair of gloves.

Monica Carr used to appear on RTE agricultural shows and write for the Indo on farming topics

Ball Hopper

gaa_phil

That's hilarious and he took the credit for it at the Bard of Armagh competition, but it was really well written ;D Thanks for that Ball Hooper, I must youtube it or look about somewhere for it! I tried looking up Monica Carr there, couldn't find anything on her...must have been before my time  ;D

gaa_phil

...sometimes I have too muct time on my hands! Cornafean...is there anything you don't know? :) Were you in the Quiz team?

leenie

congratulations to emyvale....

what about the novelty acts? what were they like? i know what killycloghers was about... i'd say they were disappointed..

was a poor yr for ulster as they normally do very well in all ireland scor, sure tyrone had 3 winners last year! but sure congrats to all who won fair play...

slightly jealous ... but one day  ::)
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Ball Hopper

Quote from: gaa_phil on April 21, 2009, 10:22:42 PM

That's hilarious and he took the credit for it at the Bard of Armagh competition, but it was really well written ;D Thanks for that Ball Hooper, I must youtube it or look about somewhere for it! I tried looking up Monica Carr there, couldn't find anything on her...must have been before my time  ;D

Must have been the 70's when that radio show was on...it was hosted by Peter Murphy (of Cross Country Quiz fame). The more "mature" posters like myself will remember that Cross Country Quiz show...inter-county quiz held among Macra na Feirme members.

God, I'm old.  35 years ago or so.

Oldira

Does anyone have a positive opinion on the Trath na gCeist format? Its totally dead as an audience pleaser and the centre was less than half full for Saturdays final. They need to bring back the microphone questions at least for provincial and All Ireland finals. Its fine to have written questions up to county level if but for big finals the written format is a disaster. The teams on Saturday had 32 all Ireland finals appearances between them and I doubt they are scared of the microphone.

cornafean

Quote from: gaa_phil on April 21, 2009, 10:24:38 PM
...sometimes I have too muct time on my hands! Cornafean...is there anything you don't know? :) Were you in the Quiz team?

No, I wasn't on the team.  I wouldn't be able to keep up with those lads :)

cornafean

Quote from: Oldira on April 22, 2009, 09:32:32 AM
Does anyone have a positive opinion on the Trath na gCeist format? Its totally dead as an audience pleaser and the centre was less than half full for Saturdays final. They need to bring back the microphone questions at least for provincial and All Ireland finals. Its fine to have written questions up to county level if but for big finals the written format is a disaster. The teams on Saturday had 32 all Ireland finals appearances between them and I doubt they are scared of the microphone.

The written format is a total turn-off for the audience, and indeed for the contestants. There is zero excitement whatsover.

If you watch an tape or dvd of old Scór quiz finals, you will notice that there used to be great audience participation in the quiz - cheering, applause and sometimes laughter in reaction to a witty comment or facial expression on the part of a contestant. Now things are so bad that the quizmaster doesn't even bother asking for silence anymore, or warn against prompting.

What used to be a highlight of Scór is now more like one of Samuel Beckett's more experimental plays.