Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Monaghan have had some poor results in the qualifiers the last decade but reckon this is the first time they've gone in a qualifier game where their the underdogs. If Ryan O'Donoghue doesn't make it then I'd have it down as a difficult game to predict and there's rumours James Carr is struggling too so that takes all the pace out of that Mayo forward line. If neither O'Donoghue or Carr  fail to make it then Monaghan at 5/2 is a brilliant price.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 31, 2022, 11:43:06 AM
I think Mayo will win this, cant understand the negativity from their supporters.... it's not like them to talk their team's chances down lol.

Monaghan are the type of team that should suit Mayo especially with Banty as manager.

Plenty of Mayo supporters talked themselves up prior to the All-Ireland final against Tyrone last year and few haven't posted since out of embarrassment after their pre-match talk?

Tubberman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 31, 2022, 05:12:21 PM
I think Mayo will win this, cant understand the negativity from their supporters.... it's not like them to talk their team's chances down lol.

Monaghan are the type of team that should suit Mayo especially with Banty as manager.

Plenty of Mayo supporters talked themselves up prior to the All-Ireland final against Tyrone last year and few haven't posted since out of embarrassment after their pre-match talk?

It's not embarrassment.  People genuinely thought Mayo would win last years final, and I don't think that was some crazy belief - there were plenty of arguments that could be made in their favour, and some obvious ones against!
But the aftermath of that loss has been long and isn't over yet. The appetite for it seems to be gone from a lot of supporters, and certainly the belief that we will get over the line any time soon seems to be buried.
I'm not quite as pessimistic and the general consensus could change with a couple of good wins in the next few weeks, but I doubt it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Whishtup

I'm sure we'll see all the heart from Mayo on Saturday that we have become accustomed to. They light up the championship every year and I'm sure the players will be bursting out of their skin for another crack at Sam. You'd expect the supporters to be quiet and it may do no harm to keep under the radar for a bit.

whitey

Quote from: Tubberman on May 31, 2022, 09:29:43 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 31, 2022, 05:12:21 PM

It's not embarrassment.  People genuinely thought Mayo would win last years final, and I don't think that was some crazy belief - there were plenty of arguments that could be made in their favour, and some obvious ones against!
But the aftermath of that loss has been long and isn't over yet. The appetite for it seems to be gone from a lot of supporters, and certainly the belief that we will get over the line any time soon seems to be buried.
I'm not quite as pessimistic and the general consensus could change with a couple of good wins in the next few weeks, but I doubt it.

At this stage I don't care if they win or lose

I just can take the heartache any more

Between goalkeeping mistakes, stupid red cards, own goals, missed penalties, you'd find it hard to invent new ways to lose a final

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tubberman on May 31, 2022, 09:29:43 PM

Belief  v overconfidence this is some of the talk I'm referring too

Mayo players wont just match Tyrone intensity they'll murder them . Some of these bucks like o hora and mullin are off the scale in this department , you'll see . No fear of Tyrone,  pure bananas talk that . What's to fear,  they've done nothing in recent times to suggest mayo should fear them , they got a victory over a badly set up kerry

I dont believe any of the narrative spun about this been close , we are a far better outfit than Tyrone,  a possible hb line of oisin , paddy and eoghan if fit with Leroy pushing up from the last line as we get a foothold is unstoppable , nothing and I mean nothing is going to stop Mayo winning the all Ireland.  Who the fook are Tyrone anyway ,last time I seen them in a final they were attroslcious . Nobody mentioned Tyrone all year, now all of a sudden cause they got a sloppy victory over a disorganised disjointed poorly set up kerry they are world beaters . Mayo by 7-9 points easy

That overconfident chap hasn't posted on here since the All Ireland final defeat, because of embarrassment at what he posted or has lost his great belief in Mayo?

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 31, 2022, 10:12:00 PM

That overconfident chap hasn't posted on here since the All Ireland final defeat, because of embarrassment at what he posted or has lost his great belief in Mayo?
Now you've gone from plenty of Mayo fans to just one chap who hasn't posted here since last year's AI defeat.

highorlow

QuoteNow you've gone from plenty of Mayo fans to just one chap who hasn't posted here since last year's AI defeat.

Be careful the captain doesn't like been caught out.... He'll go back through old posts now and find some objectionable you have said.

The over confident one is in fact one of Mayos best supporters, he goes to every single match, I'd say the lad is still coming to terms with last years defeat rather than any embarrassment for what he posted.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Captain Obvious

Just one example given Main Street

Highorlow i don't need to go over old posts to remember you are the chap that was downplaying covid and told us all it would be over in a matter of weeks in March 2020.  When he does come to terms with that defeat will he return with sensible posts or continue the similar cocky attitude? 

highorlow

QuoteHighorlow i don't need to go over old posts to remember you are the chap that was downplaying covid and told us all it would be over in a matter of weeks in March 2020.

There we go, only a gobdaw would bring up Covid in a Mayo v Monaghan thread. Your a sad case and likely to be still one of those going around masked up in the fresh air.

Main Street

Quote from: highorlow on May 31, 2022, 11:36:53 PM
QuoteNow you've gone from plenty of Mayo fans to just one chap who hasn't posted here since last year's AI defeat.

Be careful the captain doesn't like been caught out.... He'll go back through old posts now and find some objectionable you have said.
Looks like you have been nailed by our very own Gaagatha.

Though it is noticeable that the pre-match chat is low key for an important game involving Mayo, usually weighty tomes would be pouring in by the hour.

highorlow

QuoteLooks like you have been nailed by our very own Gaagatha.

Though it is noticeable that the pre-match chat is low key for an important game involving Mayo, usually weighty tomes would be pouring in by the hour.

True, at least the Captain is getting his kick for the day anyhow.

I think many Mayo fans that were on here have drifted over to the Willie Joe blog instead.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2022, 12:18:37 PM

I think many Mayo fans that were on here have drifted over to the Willie Joe blog instead.

Yes. That's true. I even saw there that if Mayo beat Monaghan the pathway opens up to get to the All-Ireland final. There are of course doom-mongers who are predicting eternal damnation for Horan since the All-Ireland final last year too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2022, 06:03:12 PM
Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2022, 12:18:37 PM

Yes. That's true. I even saw there that if Mayo beat Monaghan the pathway opens up to get to the All-Ireland final. There are of course doom-mongers who are predicting eternal damnation for Horan since the All-Ireland final last year too.

A few Mayo posters on boards.ie are hoping Mayo lose on Saturday as it will mean a management change. I'll never understand how some Mayo supporters don't realise the great job that Horan has done and  that he won't be easily replaced. Monaghan journalist Malachy Clerkin was spot on in the recent podcast in regards to Horan and the job that he's done.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

full moon

Horan is a good manager and won't be easily replaced.