Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Bit of a ' how long is a piece of string' one I know, but what is the ball park figure at the minute per sq ft for building in the north. standard builders finish. story & a half.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hereiam

For basic external finishes you would be looking at £60-70/sq.ft

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on September 16, 2015, 10:12:00 AM

Seems a bit expensive...You thinking of the Ritz?. I would have said £45 - £50
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on September 16, 2015, 10:12:00 AM

Seems a bit expensive...You thinking of the Ritz?. I would have said £45 - £50

your hired  :P

That's more the answer I was expecting / hoping for.

Does 'builders finish' always mean the same thing to all contractors or does it differ?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hereiam

illdecide u will do well to get it in for that let me tell you.

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on September 16, 2015, 01:54:59 PM

Ohh i'll get it in alright ;) but enough about that what about the build...

Well £70 def seems high and the £45 would be on the lower scale but i'd def be expecting it for no more than £55. It does of course depend on what spec you want the house and heating systems etc
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: illdecide on September 16, 2015, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on September 16, 2015, 01:54:59 PM

Ohh i'll get it in alright ;) but enough about that what about the build...

Well £70 def seems high and the £45 would be on the lower scale but i'd def be expecting it for no more than £55. It does of course depend on what spec you want the house and heating systems etc

what stage does  'builders finish' usually get you to?

macdanger2

In my parents' sitting room, they have recessed 12V spotlights (GU5.3 type) and one of them won't work – I'm thinking that the transformer is broken. Is replacing this something I can do myself or is it safer to get a professional to do it?

macdanger2

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 05, 2015, 02:04:22 PM
In my parents' sitting room, they have recessed 12V spotlights (GU5.3 type) and one of them won't work – I'm thinking that the transformer is broken. Is replacing this something I can do myself or is it safer to get a professional to do it?

Anyone??

johnneycool

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 06, 2015, 09:00:52 AM

Anyone??

It depends on your competency around AC mains electrics.

Would you know which circuit breaker to trip to isolate the electrical lighting in that room? Do you know AC colouring scheme for wires, would you know what end of the transformer is what?

If its a yes for all them, then go for it, otherwise call in a spark.

macdanger2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 06, 2015, 02:41:34 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 06, 2015, 09:00:52 AM

Anyone??

It depends on your competency around AC mains electrics.

Would you know which circuit breaker to trip to isolate the electrical lighting in that room? Do you know AC colouring scheme for wires, would you know what end of the transformer is what?

If its a yes for all them, then go for it, otherwise call in a spark.

Yes for all of those Johnny. Was just wondering if there's anything tricky about installing these - sounds like it's pretty straight forward so I'll drive on and do it myself

HiMucker

Moved house 18 months ago across the border.  Previous owner said she had the septic tank emptied only a few weeks before we moved in.  I think my solicitor actually needed confirmation certificate for this before completion but cant really remember.  I now need it emptied but basically doubt very much it was emptied 18 months ago as access  to the main tank in buried  about 3 foot under the grass!  Why?  Anybody able to give me any advice on this or how much it should cost to get emptied?.  Getting hard to flush the toilets at this stage? Guy said he will empty it for 150 euro.  Sounded reasonable to me.;

balladmaker

QuoteBit of a ' how long is a piece of string' one I know, but what is the ball park figure at the minute per sq ft for building in the north. standard builders finish. story & a half.

Built 3 years ago, not with a contractor, subbed it out to different trades and eventually got it completed.  When I divide the total build cost to when it's ready to move in, by the square footage, it works out at £63 per sq ft for what I built.  That's with the full ground floor with underfloor heating, as well as underfloor in bathroom and ensuite upstairs.  Also has a slate roof.  Standard block build with concrete slabs on first floor rather than joists.

BTW moving in = kitchen fitted, one bathroom completed, house fully trimmed with doors, skirting, floor coverings in main living areas.

blewuporstuffed

Can anyone recommend someone that can do site inspections for suitability of ground conditions for building?
I'm not sure exactly what needs done, whether its just a case of getting an architect to look at it or is it a structural engineers job?

Hereiam

Have used a company in Belfast a few times called Stratex.