Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on February 19, 2015, 11:14:14 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd ask here.

I've bought a load of outdoor rubber tiles(1m x 1m and 50mm depth) to build a play area for the kids.
What's the best way to get a good level ground underneath? Would paving sand be suitable?

Where did ye get these from LL - looking into doing something like this myself atm?

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on February 20, 2015, 03:57:33 PM

I've bought a load of outdoor rubber tiles(1m x 1m and 50mm depth) to build a play area for the kids.
What's the best way to get a good level ground underneath? Would paving sand be suitable?

Where did ye get these from LL - looking into doing something like this myself atm?
Actually bought them from Done Deal. The guy has loads of them. Got them for €13 a square meter.
They are way more expensive than that new.Maybe 3 or 4 times more expensive. These just need a good power wash and they'll be fine.
The guy is in Navan.

Here you go

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenplants-for-sale/rubber-tiles-used/8696933?offset=4
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Another insulation question here lads. I have had a problem with damp and had a guy out to quote on a positive air system. The house has no cavity walls and he has said that the house needs lined inside the exterior walls with 75 mm plasterboard backed insulation. This work plus the installation of the system is £950. Its a small semi detached house. Usual layout for Belfast, 2 double bedrooms and one small box room.

Would any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to do the drylining on its own as I might try that first to see if it solves the problem. The guy i had out is a Positive Air system retailer so he will not quote without this included. Just wondering if anybody has an idea of what the likely split is for the drylining part. (if the drylining is going to be 80% of the cost I woudl probably go the whole lot at once for convenience)

Cheers

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: TabClear on February 24, 2015, 07:12:29 AM
Another insulation question here lads. I have had a problem with damp and had a guy out to quote on a positive air system. The house has no cavity walls and he has said that the house needs lined inside the exterior walls with 75 mm plasterboard backed insulation. This work plus the installation of the system is £950. Its a small semi detached house. Usual layout for Belfast, 2 double bedrooms and one small box room.

Would any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to do the drylining on its own as I might try that first to see if it solves the problem. The guy i had out is a Positive Air system retailer so he will not quote without this included. Just wondering if anybody has an idea of what the likely split is for the drylining part. (if the drylining is going to be 80% of the cost I woudl probably go the whole lot at once for convenience)

Cheers
I had a problem with damp/condensation in a 3 bed bungalow(nothing major, a damp corner in one of the bedrooms and some condensation on the windos/front door in the mornings) and installed one of these in the
roofspace http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuaire-Drimaster-Condensation-Ventilation-Loft/dp/B0074K582E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424770742&sr=8-2&keywords=nuaire+drimaster

sorted the problem and very easy to put in, did it myself just. cost me about £240 and a couple of hours of my time
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on February 20, 2015, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: BenDover on February 20, 2015, 03:57:33 PM

Actually bought them from Done Deal. The guy has loads of them. Got them for €13 a square meter.
They are way more expensive than that new.Maybe 3 or 4 times more expensive. These just need a good power wash and they'll be fine.
The guy is in Navan.

Here you go

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenplants-for-sale/rubber-tiles-used/8696933?offset=4

Good man meeting this boy on Saturday to collect some of these. He said they're fairly dirty did u try power hosing them? Have they came up OK?

laoislad

I gave one a power wash just to see and it came up ok. He told me to dilute some bleach and scrub that on it first but I haven't done it yet.
I haven't got around to laying these down yet but I'm happy enough with them,just be warned they are very heavy and big. I got 11 of them in the back of an Audi A4 estate but wouldn't have fit anymore and the wheel arches were well down over the wheels on the drive home!
For the price though they are very good and I'm confident with a proper wash they'll be fine.

BenDover

Aye I'm getting my hands on a twin axle van to lift the load. With the size and the weight of these things do they need joined up when being laid or is it a case of lay them level and flush to each other and that's it sorted? I priced a firm who put the flooring into my mates gym and for nearly the same tile 1m x 1m x 40mm they were after €36 + Vat, these are a bargain.

johnneycool

Quote from: BenDover on February 24, 2015, 02:53:24 PM
Aye I'm getting my hands on a twin axle van to lift the load. With the size and the weight of these things do they need joined up when being laid or is it a case of lay them level and flush to each other and that's it sorted? I priced a firm who put the flooring into my mates gym and for nearly the same tile 1m x 1m x 40mm they were after €36 + Vat, these are a bargain.

will they not turn up at the corners if they're not stuck down with something?

laoislad

I don't really know. I was just gonna put them on a level base and lay them side by side and hope for the best.They are really heavy so hopefully that should be enough.
I'm not really sure how you would join them anyway.

johnneycool

Quote from: laoislad on February 24, 2015, 03:11:42 PM
I don't really know. I was just gonna put them on a level base and lay them side by side and hope for the best.They are really heavy so hopefully that should be enough.

run a bit of silicone adhesive down the sides I'd have thought!

The Subbie

Quote from: johnneycool on February 24, 2015, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 24, 2015, 03:11:42 PM

run a bit of silicone adhesive down the sides I'd have thought!

liquid nail is your friend.

giveherlong

Lads quick question on planning permission
If planning has been granted, site cleared, foundations dug and concrete for founds (no footings or sub floor work done yet) in will that prevent planning permission from expiring?

mb80b60

Quote from: giveherlong on February 27, 2015, 01:58:06 PM
Lads quick question on planning permission
If planning has been granted, site cleared, foundations dug and concrete for founds (no footings or sub floor work done yet) in will that prevent planning permission from expiring?

No.  In the same boat as yourself and have been advised that the above is all you need.  Has building control been out?

giveherlong

No in that I need to do more work?
Building control would have been out to inspect founds before concrete poured

Hereiam

Has the access being formed along with visibility splays. Its important that a building control application was made and the building control were out to look at the foundations as this is the paper trial needed if there are any problems further down the line.