Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: clarshack on August 13, 2019, 12:27:22 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 13, 2019, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2019, 07:32:03 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0812/1068421-dublin-kerry-is-the-final-football-needs/

Such a load o crap

Well it didn't need that debacle last year.

what debacle?

"There was a passage of play on Sunday, just after Jack McCaffrey put Dublin 1-5 to 0-6 ahead about 10 minutes short of half-time. Tyrone got the kick-out away – quickly, as they had to – and Conor Meyler played a ball up to Peter Harte on the Dublin 45. Harte collected it at the right-wing forward position with Jonny Cooper shadowing him. Cian O'Sullivan was in the area but his hamstring had gone by this stage so he wasn't moving freely; so not only was he not threat to Harte but he was no use as a sweeper either.

as Harte collected the ball, Connor McAliskey was one-on-one with Philly McMahon standing on the 20-metre line dead straight in front of the Dublin goal. The only other person inside the Dublin 45 was Cluxton. McCaffrey was still getting back after his point and for once, Dublin were open.
You could tell that Harte knew this. Tyrone had been under the cosh for the previous seven or eight minutes but this was their chance to turn the game back in their favour. Harte is a smart player – one of the real leaders in the Tyrone team – and you could see he recognised the moment. If he could come up with the right ball into McAliskey and if he could deliver it quickly, there was a goal on.

But in his rush to get the ball in, he made a mess of it. He tried to play a bullet ball in with the outside of his boot but got a bad connection and screwed it off out to the side. From a starting point in front of the goals, McAliskey had to sprint after it and ended up sliding like a soccer player trying to put it out for a sideline about four yards from the corner flag. He didn't manage it and, as Cluxton was lining up to take the kick-out, O'Sullivan went off injured. That small window of weakness in the Dublin defence was slammed shut.

Harte was able to do the basics under pressure – make the smart run, draw the defenders to make the space, realise that the big moment in the game was on. But when it came down to it, he didn't execute.
Against the Dubs, you don't get a second go at that. From the kick-out, Cooper went down on a breaking ball, took a push in the back from a helpful Tyrone player, got to his feet and played a quick free as the three Tyrone lads around him switched off and next thing you know, Dublin had their second goal."

Then the Dubs played piggy in the middle . They controlled the outcome from then on. Tyrone had no chance.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 14, 2019, 10:56:18 AM
I like you Farr would be up for the Dubs in the final. It has nothing to do with wanting to prove an argument about unfairness in funding( although there is merit in a debate about the current structure of funding) or football styles as while I like certain styles of football (especially the way Dublin, Kerry, Roscommon, Armagh and now Donegal play) most All Ireland winners I have seen would play great football to win along the way. For me it is to see an exceptional team do something no senior inter county team has done before in the history of the GAA and the fact that while Kerry are underdogs for this game they are not really an underdog in football terms considering they have 36 titles to their name!!

It is no coincidence that the game has veered back towards a much better defence/attack balance since the Dubs have hoovered up All Irelands. Around about the time that Donegal won an AI in 2012 and for a period after that, coaches across the country were trying to ape the Jimmy McGuinness template both at club, county and schools level. The Dubs have helped reverse that trend.

Coaching and management trends tend to ape the tactics of successful county teams and for that reason Dublin have helped to improve the spectacle across the country even though the extreme negative tactics have not completely disappeared.   

TheGreatest

Gough and familiy confirmed as the officiating team for the final. Best of luck to him.

Crete Boom

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2019, 12:16:03 PM
I like you Farr would be up for the Dubs in the final. It has nothing to do with wanting to prove an argument about unfairness in funding( although there is merit in a debate about the current structure of funding) or football styles as while I like certain styles of football (especially the way Dublin, Kerry, Roscommon, Armagh and now Donegal play) most All Ireland winners I have seen would play great football to win along the way. For me it is to see an exceptional team do something no senior inter county team has done before in the history of the GAA and the fact that while Kerry are underdogs for this game they are not really an underdog in football terms considering they have 36 titles to their name!!

It is no coincidence that the game has veered back towards a much better defence/attack balance since the Dubs have hoovered up All Irelands. Around about the time that Donegal won an AI in 2012 and for a period after that, coaches across the country were trying to ape the Jimmy McGuinness template both at club, county and schools level. The Dubs have helped reverse that trend.

Coaching and management trends tend to ape the tactics of successful county teams and for that reason Dublin have helped to improve the spectacle across the country even though the extreme negative tactics have not completely disappeared.

Very true and it is great to see but in fairness to McGuinness, Donegal played great football in 2012 and especially against us in the final to win Sam.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 14, 2019, 12:20:16 PM
Gough and familiy confirmed as the officiating team for the final. Best of luck to him.

Heres David Gough celebrating with Sam 2015 at St Judes club in Dublin .Thats Kevin McManamons club

greatpoint

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2019, 12:16:03 PM

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. In 2014 Gavin was made realise that Dublin had to put some sort of defensive system in place to prevent what Donegal did to them from happening again. They have been clearly very willing to drop players back when needed since then and it's more of a hybrid system that they've helped propagate, rather than just reverse any trend.

Tyrdub

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 14, 2019, 12:38:13 PM

Heres David Gough celebrating with Sam 2015 at St Judes club in Dublin .Thats Kevin McManamons club

Actually its not, its David Gough in his place of work ( a primary school), at which the Sam Maguire was presented to the schoolchildren, as its done in every county every year they win Sam. This is typical shit stirring

fearsiuil

Quote from: Tyrdub on August 14, 2019, 12:56:27 PM

Actually its not, its David Gough in his place of work ( a primary school), at which the Sam Maguire was presented to the schoolchildren, as its done in every county every year they win Sam. This is typical shit stirring
Where are the schoolchildren?

larryin89

Quote from: fearsiuil on August 14, 2019, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on August 14, 2019, 12:56:27 PM

Where are the schoolchildren?

It's still ridiculous either way . You can't have a ref pictured like this and then given an all Ireland final involving the county , no way , that's just not right
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Joe Molloy on Newstalk OTB debunked all the Gough myths yesterday evening. Available on podcast for anyone interested in facts over myths.

The Kerry ex-players are out in force railing against him. I doubt they actually want to replace him, just put that pressure on him not to be seen to be favouring the Dubs, so that 50/50s are more likely to go Kerry.

Chap would have grown up hating Dublin in all likelihood, but now he's an adult and experienced ref, you've got to assume he'll have no bias, deliberate or accidental, and trust him to get on with the job to the best of his ability.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2019, 01:24:06 PM
Joe Molloy on Newstalk OTB debunked all the Gough myths yesterday evening. Available on podcast for anyone interested in facts over myths.

The Kerry ex-players are out in force railing against him. I doubt they actually want to replace him, just put that pressure on him not to be seen to be favouring the Dubs, so that 50/50s are more likely to go Kerry.

Chap would have grown up hating Dublin in all likelihood, but now he's an adult and experienced ref, you've got to assume he'll have no bias, deliberate or accidental, and trust him to get on with the job to the best of his ability.
Molloy based lot of it on poor David Gough deserves the gig. Optics are important but never when Dubs are involved in GAA.

TheGreatest

Hound, iv warned you about this before , stop speaking logic and commin sense, lads on this forum cant compute it.

However, you are right, Dublin wont be able to buy a free in the final now.

dublin7

Are you seriously questioning his integrity???

David Gough could stand on O'Connell Street all day and no one would recognise him. If he was in his home town/club in Slane everyone would recognise him and ask about the game. Far less stressful build up to the game.

Rossfan

I suppose it makes a change to have the Kerry media campaign in full cry instead of Dublin as it was for the last few years. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 14, 2019, 01:43:43 PM

Hound, iv warned you about this before , stop speaking logic and commin sense, lads on this forum cant compute it.

However, you are right, Dublin wont be able to buy a free in the final now.
I'd say Gough is very recognisable in Dublin
Would be best known referee in the country