WestMeath v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, March 30, 2015, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That full forward's name is annoying me now. Any Westmeath lads remember him?

Rossie11

shark

Ger Haevin is from Moate, and could hardly be described as a lunatic. If you mean Athlone GAA AZ then I'm guessing you mean Dobsy Prendergast, although I don't think he was a regular with the county team. Can't think who else you could be thinking of.

AZOffaly

That's him. The red roaring lunatic :)

Heavin was a grand lad.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2015, 11:36:26 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 31, 2015, 10:41:34 AM
Uh, huh?
Maybe it's because I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet but, whatever the reason, I'm afraid that the above is about as clear as ditch water.
Even Rossfan, when he loses the run of himself, couldn't come up with less intelligible stuff.  :D
It seems odd to me that, while most Rossie GAA folk are sore about Ballagh refusing to play with you, nobody seems too worried about the land grab on your eastern front.
Are you a biteen "academically challenged" Lar??
The built up area on the "Connert" side ( as D'Atloane townies say) in 1898 was transferred to Westmeath. The Western areas that became built up since are in Co Roscommon - both Council and GAA.
As for no rows - Athlone ( good oul garrison town) is so soccer ridden that they hardly know there are such things as Gaelic games.
Nah, not at all but I was checking to see how long it was going to take you to rise to the bait, that's all. ;D

Bedad, I envy lads like you that have jobs to go to.Ye can afford to spend someone else's time but I have to waste my own when I come on here so I don't hang around- much.
But all joking apart, wtf was Syferus on about when I quoted him?
Since the pair of ye spout a load of shite talk the same kinda language anyway, I figure you are probably the only one on two feet who could make some sense of that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

giveballaghback

A thread about ros v westmeath and not a word about the game, im going to the f........ pub.

Shrewdness

Saw a couple of things in the local media about the Galway game that i thought worthy of mention... It was mentioned that Roscommon gave possession away no fewer than 35 times during the game. That was an average of giving it away once every two minutes.. Based on that, how did we even manage to get within 4 points of Galway....Another line that caught my eye was about the second half substitution of Cathal Shine. He had scored two points from play in the first half. He is the only player to hold down his place in our midfield all year.. I presumed he had a knock when he went off. Now we read where John Evans has said that the decision to take Shine off was ''tactical''. I don't understand the logic of that move, in much the same way that some of the team selections and positioning are getting more baffling by the week.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 31, 2015, 02:40:22 PM
Saw a couple of things in the local media about the Galway game that i thought worthy of mention... It was mentioned that Roscommon gave possession away no fewer than 35 times during the game. That was an average of giving it away once every two minutes.. Based on that, how did we even manage to get within 4 points of Galway....Another line that caught my eye was about the second half substitution of Cathal Shine. He had scored two points from play in the first half. He is the only player to hold down his place in our midfield all year.. I presumed he had a knock when he went off. Now we read where John Evans has said that the decision to take Shine off was ''tactical''. I don't understand the logic of that move, in much the same way that some of the team selections and positioning are getting more baffling by the week.

Looked very much like Johneen had planned giving the panel a run out on Sunday no matter the score. We'll see if he decides to chase after promotion this weekend.

AZOffaly

I wonder would he be quietly happy to not get promoted, and give a few more lads a blooding or more game time.

Rossfan

We seem to be using 5 or 6 half backs nowadays no matter where they might be lining up at the throw in
We still can't defend properly  apart from Collins and Murray.
Marking space is all very well but how about marking the forward standing 10 m away from you?
Lar - I always spout here in my own time ;) As for Syfín's ràiméisin...... Sure them lads that broke the Nazi codes couldn't decipher (desyfer :D) that. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 02:56:18 PM
I wonder would he be quietly happy to not get promoted, and give a few more lads a blooding or more game time.

With an armageddon of Ulster teams coming to D2 next year I'd be happier losing in D1 and returning to D2 in 2017 with some top level experience (if needs be, we wouldn't be seeing ourselves are far off Monaghan) than winning in D2. If John Evans doesn't fancy D1 he's not got the county behind him on that one.

Shrewdness

Syferus, Rossfan etc, if we fail to get promoted, how will it be viewed by the Ros Gaa public, considering the position we were in with 2 games left. Imo, they would have missed a great opportunity to get to Division 1, because saying that they are better off in Division 2 next year is defeatist bullshit. Last Sunday's performance suggests that it could be a brief stay in Division 1, but you'd still like to give it a go.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 31, 2015, 03:05:54 PM
Syferus, Rossfan etc, if we fail to get promoted, how will it be viewed by the Ros Gaa public, considering the position we were in with 2 games left. Imo, they would have missed a great opportunity to get to Division 1.

If we were offered top three in D2 heading into the league we'd have been delighted. With the position we've made for ourselves even this week not getting the job done would be a bit of a disappointment. The worst thing that could happen is we lose to Westmeath and head into the championship off the back of two losses.

Rossfan

The Ros GAA public was split on whether we should relax when safe or continue to push for D1.
Being safe after 5 games most were then opting for the latter scenario and hoping it would be achieved against the arrogant ones from across the Suck. Some of their lot were back to their annoying worst on Sunday evening - poking Rossies with umbrellas etc asking them what did ye think of that eh? Ye can't bate Galway when it counts etc.

Both points of view still being debated - Playing in D1 would be great/ What damage could 7 tankings do?
We need to win Sunday firstly and see what happens after that. If we don't win Sunday then we remain in what is now our rightful place - Div 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2015, 04:38:46 PMBoth points of view still being debated - Playing in D1 would be great/ What damage could 7 tankings do?
We need to win Sunday firstly and see what happens after that. If we don't win Sunday then we remain in what is now our rightful place - Div 2.

Pretty sure the teams that go up from Division 2 tend to have decent enough championships in the same year ; the big problem is that teams that get relegated from Division 1 tend to have pretty abysmal championships that year. 

When a team gets relegated its possible that they might have a knock-on affect. What would happen if Roscommon got relegated from Division 1 and then lose in the first round of Connacht and went out early in the qualifiers? How would this affect morale/sponsorship/ability to attract decent management?

Another issue is the U21s - Roscommon are among the favourites for the U21 championship and it would surely help the U21s cause (depending on when the matches are scheduled) not to be involved in a Division 2 Final.

The big question is what sort of chance the teams that go up from Division 2 would have in terms of avoiding relegation.

Based on the way Division 2 has gone this year, it's very hard to make the case that whoever goes up is well prepared for the step-up in class. The two who go up would be competing with Dublin, Mayo, Cork, Monaghan, Donegal and one from Tyrone and Kerry to avoid relegation which looks to be a serious task