Mayo v Sligo CSFC 21st May 2017

Started by Farrandeelin, May 08, 2017, 08:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I counted 12 steps, shocking referring.  Better team won, our naivety let us down, but Sligo gave a good account of themselves and tackled hard.  Mayo will improve big time after this.

Well done sligo, good honest performance and the stain of 2015 is banished, I think we are a team on the up
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Farrandeelin

A win is a win. The match probably wasn't pretty to watch on tv as it didn't look pretty at the game itself. Hard to know where Mayo are at (again), they won by 9 in the end, but if Sligo had taken a few chances that went wide in the first half, and if Sligo got a goal when Boland got the ball over his head, then it would have been different. All said and done, I thought Mayo had Sligo at arm's length all through the match.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 21, 2017, 02:45:17 PM
Cant believe Carew started same team as NY, just such poor management, we are playing not to get hammered but with the wind against us now we are going to get massacred, some of the Sligo team arent fully fit, started Kyle cawley on wing forward is just stupid, its a inside man, mcdonnell and d kelly not starting ::), no real forward plan, lots of men back to but offering little, mayo in 2nd gear

Going to be a long second half, Only good thing about this summer is if we get rid of Carew, hope we fluke getting a good replacement,

Shocking bad u17 result too, was alot closer against the wind??????
I think we had to take a defensive approach considering what happened in 15 when we were too open and our 2 best forwards were injured. Having said that if we were playing defensive why did we start so many scoring forwards in defensive positions ( coen, cawley, marren) we're square pegs in round holes while McDonnell sat on the bench. Again Mayo got some dodgy referee in decisions against us. Overcarrying foe the first goal and pick off ground for second.

ballinaman

Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2017, 11:02:42 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2017, 10:48:27 AM
Any predictions? I'm going with a Mayo win by 5 or 6 or 7 points.
The usual. Play poorly and win, written off.
8)

galwayman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 21, 2017, 06:15:20 PM
A win is a win. The match probably wasn't pretty to watch on tv as it didn't look pretty at the game itself. Hard to know where Mayo are at (again), they won by 9 in the end, but if Sligo had taken a few chances that went wide in the first half, and if Sligo got a goal when Boland got the ball over his head, then it would have been different. All said and done, I thought Mayo had Sligo at arm's length all through the match.
Yeah thought the same myself. Mayo never really looked in any danger of not winning that game.

ballinaman

A few of the Sligo haircuts very questionable....*stares at number 4 McHugh in the corner*

seafoid

It's the middle of May. Mayo did the needful. They can do a lot more.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2017, 09:04:51 PM
;D

ballinaman

With the tar melting and the cuckoos singing...ah sure isn't it great...

GalwayBayBoy

Il Bomber Destro

I always have to laugh at the Mayo supporters.

The amount of times Sligo would get a pretty obvious free and it would be followed by a massive chorus of boos at the decision.

You wouldn't mind but it was Sligo in the first round of the Connacht Championship, surely they shouldn't need the ref to be doing their bidding at this stage of the Championship. It's that kind of outlook which I think explains why they have came up that bit short over the years.

Wouldn't read too much into how abject Mayo were today as they'll be aiming for early August but the age profile of the squad must be a bit worrying. 6 of the team that started today are now in their 30s and are probably past their best, there's a lot of mileage there now and they really need some fresh blood to come in and start contributing in a big way.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 21, 2017, 10:41:22 PM
I always have to laugh at the Mayo supporters.

The amount of times Sligo would get a pretty obvious free and it would be followed by a massive chorus of boos at the decision.

You wouldn't mind but it was Sligo in the first round of the Connacht Championship, surely they shouldn't need the ref to be doing their bidding at this stage of the Championship. It's that kind of outlook which I think explains why they have came up that bit short over the years.

Wouldn't read too much into how abject Mayo were today as they'll be aiming for early August but the age profile of the squad must be a bit worrying. 6 of the team that started today are now in their 30s and are probably past their best, there's a lot of mileage there now and they really need some fresh blood to come in and start contributing in a big way.

A lot of the booing is from kids. Who have little notion of what is going on. If this puts off the players or Referee, then they are in the wrong place!

From the Bunker

Very biased coverage in the highlights! Making Mayo look a lot better than they were. And not doing Sligo justice!

Ringfort

13 steps I counted. Wrecks my head that practice of getting free steps just cos a tackle is coming in. That's the f**king game. You can risk barreling through all you like but you still have to play the ball under physical pressure from the backs. And I used to be a forward.