James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on November 01, 2016, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2016, 03:49:58 PM
What is different about poppy and easter lily? They both commemorate militants and are misused in certain parts of Ireland?

One commemorates people trying to colonise a country, another people trying to end that colonisation.

Christ and I thought the poppy fascists were bad

longballin

Quote from: Orior on November 01, 2016, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: longballin on November 01, 2016, 11:43:58 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2016, 11:31:20 AM
Poppy and Easter Lily are one and the same in my opinion.Wouldn't wear either or attend militaristic commemorations of any kind.But I'm not going to create bad feelings with kindly neighbours over any emblems.Its not worth it and the poppy is automatically ripped and binned when I close the door.

Idiot

Can you elaborate why in this instance?

Donating money to something you don't agree with  :o  as for Tony not want to create bad feelings   :D

Franko

Poppy and Easter Lily are one and the same in my opinion.Wouldn't wear either or attend militaristic commemorations of any kind.But I'm not going to create bad feelings with kindly neighbours over any emblems.Its not worth it and the poppy is automatically ripped and binned when I close the door.

Idiot

He feels he has to buy one to avoid pissing off this aul biddy.  She ain't no "kindly neighbour" if that's the way she takes it.  She's a bigot.  And all he's doing by buying one under duress is placating said bigot.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on November 01, 2016, 12:43:10 PM
This old chestnut again.

James has outlined his reasons and it's about time he is left alone fs.

On a similar note though I have often wondered why players of different nationalities don't refuse to wear it on their top... Argentinians spring to mind.

And Germans, Spanish, French, Chinese, American, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Russian...

foxcommander

Quote from: ashman on November 01, 2016, 04:17:01 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 01, 2016, 03:55:26 PM
Quote from: ashman on November 01, 2016, 01:03:12 PM
To be fair to the English media this story is a very very low priority .

Your pal Gregory is doing his best to make it headline news again. He's got nothing better to do apart from currying yogurt or writing about Celtic fans in Gibraltar on Facebook.

That's how you keep your voting base coming back to the ballot box.

Gregory is no "pal" of mine bucko .

Yeah. Right  ;)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

BennyCake

Re: T's neighbour - I'm not sure why someone would go to a catholic household to sell poppies, given the connotations. I think said neighbour's antics are much worse than T (for buying one), as she's using their relationship to put T in a no win situation, to buy something he's obviously not comfortable buying.

If I was selling GAA flags, I wouldn't knock on a Protestant neighbours door. Not unless they were known GAA fans.

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on November 01, 2016, 06:00:06 PM
Re: T's neighbour - I'm not sure why someone would go to a catholic household to sell poppies, given the connotations. I think said neighbour's antics are much worse than T (for buying one), as she's using their relationship to put T in a no win situation, to buy something he's obviously not comfortable buying.

If I was selling GAA flags, I wouldn't knock on a Protestant neighbours door. Not unless they were known GAA fans.

This is Tony we are talking about.

He is anti-United Ireland, can't post his disgust at the 26 counties enough and wants to live in a bigot's dreamworld of religious intolerance.

Of course he buys a poppy.
MWWSI 2017

keep her low this half

I have worked in a variety of factories in Protestant areas, Newtownards, Castlereagh etc. In all of these poppies have been for sale in the canteen which made me uncomfortable although I have never bought one and never would. It does however make things distinctly uncomfortable when you are the only person in an office/ workshop not wearing one. It is one of the reasons that my admiration for James McClean has risen exponentially each year as he refuses to be brow beaten by these bigots. Good for you James keep setting an example for all of us who have to work in areas where our beliefs make us outsiders.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2016, 06:40:52 PM
It's all down to perception perhaps.The average unionist cherishes Remembrance Sunday,as part of their culture.The average unionist reasons that Irish Catholics and Protestants fought and died side by side in British Uniforms,and sees no reason why she shouldn't approach all neighbouring homes in an attempt to sell poppies.I regard my neighbour as an average unionist.

I am not offended,I make a very small donation,then destroy the poppy whenever she leaves.No big deal.

Yes both religions fought, but the average unionist would have to be totally ignorant/deluded/stupid to think there's no chance whatsoever of causing any offence/embarrassment by knocking on a catholic door.

yellowcard

The easy option for McClean would probably be to 'grin and bear it'. I'd like to think that put in his position that I would do the same but you can imagine that he has been put under serious pressure from establishment figures to bow down and yet he has refused to yield. There is something very noble and principled about that stance. An act of total loyalty.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2016, 07:28:45 PM
Not if its your perception

Anyone unaware of the sensitivities surrounding the Poppy has obviously been living under a rock.

Main Street

Quote from: keep her low this half on November 01, 2016, 06:46:45 PM
I have worked in a variety of factories in Protestant areas, Newtownards, Castlereagh etc. In all of these poppies have been for sale in the canteen which made me uncomfortable although I have never bought one and never would. It does however make things distinctly uncomfortable when you are the only person in an office/ workshop not wearing one. It is one of the reasons that my admiration for James McClean has risen exponentially each year as he refuses to be brow beaten by these bigots. Good for you James keep setting an example for all of us who have to work in areas where our beliefs make us outsiders.
Well done for for maintaining your position in such circumstances.

Itchy

Bit two faced to buy a poppy from poor old dear next door then rip it up as soon as she has left. She might be on the gaaboard Tony and she'll be so mad she will shite in one of your parcels.

Dougal Maguire

Idiot

Indeed, spineless hypocrite would be more appropriate
Careful now

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2016, 06:40:52 PM
It's all down to perception perhaps.The average unionist cherishes Remembrance Sunday,as part of their culture.The average unionist reasons that Irish Catholics and Protestants fought and died side by side in British Uniforms,and sees no reason why she shouldn't approach all neighbouring homes in an attempt to sell poppies.I regard my neighbour as an average unionist.

I am not offended,I make a very small donation,then destroy the poppy whenever she leaves.No big deal.
You could at least destroy it in front of her.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.