Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

People are naming players that are missing off the panel from previous years and are just assuming that the players themselves have omitted themselves from the panel, things aren't always as they seem. KMcG needs to take a look at himself...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Feckitt

Quote from: illdecide on May 22, 2018, 09:01:22 AM
People are naming players that are missing off the panel from previous years and are just assuming that the players themselves have omitted themselves from the panel, things aren't always as they seem. KMcG needs to take a look at himself...
A lot of talk about Armagh not having the best players in the county on the pitch.  Would anyone care to name an alternative Armagh 15 that either didn't start on Saturday or are not on the panel.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Feckitt on May 22, 2018, 09:18:29 AM
A lot of talk about Armagh not having the best players in the county on the pitch.  Would anyone care to name an alternative Armagh 15 that either didn't start on Saturday or are not on the panel.

Whatever about an alternative 15 the following players would be on the team in my opinion. Some are out through injury and I'm not including Jamie. James Morgan, paul Hughes, Rian and Oisín O Neill, Decky McKenna, Mickey Murray Cullyhanna and Stefan Campbell. That's half a team and if those 7 were playing the team would be significantly better.

tonto1888

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 22, 2018, 10:40:32 AM

Whatever about an alternative 15 the following players would be on the team in my opinion. Some are out through injury and I'm not including Jamie. James Morgan, paul Hughes, Rian and Oisín O Neill, Decky McKenna, Mickey Murray Cullyhanna and Stefan Campbell. That's half a team and if those 7 were playing the team would be significantly better.

Very hard to disagree with this. You could add O'Hanlon in there too

Cunny Funt

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 22, 2018, 10:40:32 AM

Whatever about an alternative 15 the following players would be on the team in my opinion. Some are out through injury and I’m not including Jamie. James Morgan, paul Hughes, Rian and Oisín O Neill, Decky McKenna, Mickey Murray Cullyhanna and Stefan Campbell. That’s half a team and if those 7 were playing the team would be significantly better.
Many of them expected to be back for the next game?

Throw ball

Just from players who have actually played senior inter county for Armagh

Morrison
Morgan  Lappin Murray
Hughes McKenna Heffron
Oneill Lavery
O'Hanlon White Rafferty
Clarke Campbell Forker

That is only players I can remember of the top of my head. I would say only Lavery Caolan Rafferty Clarke and Stefan Forker are unlikely be asked / available next year.

illdecide

Draw on Monday morning, TBH i hope we get Tyrone or Mayo. A big game that'll finish off the season or it'll kick them up the hole...I just don't want a couple of handy draws so as the fans think everything is not so bad after all.
I know as fans no-one is forced to go but when you're forking out a lot of your hard earned to watch the shite we witnessed last week and then the Co Board to skin you alive for more of your hard earned for the up keep of the Co team and the Athletic Grounds and then to rob you some more with the Club fee's...Fecking Co Board should be jailed FFS...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Patrick-Armagh

[/quote]

Just from players who have actually played senior inter county for Armagh

Morrison
Morgan  Lappin Murray
Hughes McKenna Heffron
Oneill Lavery
O'Hanlon White Rafferty
Clarke Campbell Forker

That is only players I can remember of the top of my head. I would say only Lavery Caolan Rafferty Clarke and Stefan Forker are unlikely be asked / available next year.
[/quote]

When you look at that list of players and add in long term injured players like Kevin Dyas and players not on the panel for whatever reason like Eugene McVerry and Stephen Harrold, there is a massive drop off in talent in many positions. Of that 15 named above I think you could easily pick eight of them that could have started in Sunday's game and made us better in theory. After last year's relatively successful Championship campaign, I think most of us were excited going into this season, but then we had a number of key players drop off the panel for whatever reason and all of a sudden we are looking at the same situation we've found ourselves in for the last few years. McGeeney has been trying to build a strong panel but it's nay on impossible to do when each year you get some players back and then lose other key ones. However, the players that played in the league did very well and we fans thought that the loses could be managed to some extent.

On Sunday I think we saw a mix of things that keep hurting us and over the last number of years. The drop off in players quality really hit us and it's only really in the Championship that you notice it compared to the League, where teams are trying things out and getting fit. We glided through the league and a number of players did very well, but were poor beyond belief on Sunday.

The team looked like they'd been over coached, with players playing out of position and things just being over complicated by McGeeney. The opposition had better tactics than we did and were able to follow their game plan. There have to be major question marks over him at this stage. The turnover in players doesn't help him, as I don't think that at any point he's had his best squad of players to chose from - but that can be said for a lot of counties so that can't be an excuse, especially against Fermanagh and their player resources. This is the fourth year in a row where we've been so bad in the opening round and lost, that it's difficult to make excuses for him anymore. I don't a lot of the players played anywhere near to their ability against Fermanagh and this is another theme that keeps popping up. The basics of the football are forgotten in big games in Ulster.

I do believe that some progress has been made and that some good players have been discovered that wouldn't have gotten near the team had everyone been fit and available. The qualifiers will be seriously tough and should we draw someone like Mayo or Tyrone our season could be over like that and I don't know where we go from there.