Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:30:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:24:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:16:58 PM
The UK pays 350 million per week as part of running the EU, it will be interesting to see how the EU plug that hole in there finance if the UK does leave.

It is 11 million per week.  :o :o

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Most of the contribution goes back to farmers and disadvantaged areas in the UK.

It will be interesting to see how London plugs that hole.

I did what you did.

Pulled a number out of my arse.
I read thst article. Where do you get 11 million per week from?
No i didn't do what you did. I googled the cost.  You are just being silly.

Yes you did!

You admitted you read the article which explains, right at the start, that Britain doesn't pay £18bn a year (your £350m * 52 weeks). But you pretended you hadn't read it and posted the anti-intellectual rant anyway.

I posted 30 words.  It was hardly a rant.

I didn't pretend anything, I said I read the article.  The UK pay a lot of money into the EU every year which will leave a huge hole in there finance if the UK leave.

Stick to your crap[tion] competition if you can't argue without being facetious.

This is one of the first 10 lines of the article you said you read:

"The UK doesn't pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

And you accuse me of being facetious.  ;D ;D ;D
I read the article. It said they paid in 350 million per week.  If you want to say they get X amount of this back and being in the EU also brings Y jobs etc. fair enough.  It doesn't change the fact that the UK leaving the EU will leave a huge hole in the EU finances.

No it didn't!

I have already posted the quote that makes a lie of that claim. And it is very prominent in the article you said you read. Are you refusing to read this or what?

"...The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

"The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

The UK pays 350 million per week as part of running the EU, it will be interesting to see how the EU plug that hole in there finance if the UK does leave.
Who will plug the hole in the UKs finances when their economy contracts?
The EU and UK will both be poorer for the decision.

dferg

Quote from: LeoMc on June 26, 2016, 03:58:09 PM

You could well be right.  It's hard to say how it will play out in the next few years.

With France etc calling for a vote on membership of the EU a lot will change in the next few years with this decision.

muppet

Quote from: LeoMc on June 26, 2016, 03:58:09 PM

It looks to me that the UK pays in about a net £9bn a year. Barclays alone lost about £5bn on Friday. The UK will very likely enter a recession now which will be the really expensive cost of Brexit.

The Bank of England has created £375bn via QE since the financial crisis began.

The EU has created over a €1 trillion in QE.

£9bn a year is buttons. The economic contraction will be significant though.
MWWSI 2017

SkillfulBill

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:53:56 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:51:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:30:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 03:24:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 03:20:28 PM

It is 11 million per week.  :o :o

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Most of the contribution goes back to farmers and disadvantaged areas in the UK.

It will be interesting to see how London plugs that hole.

I did what you did.

Pulled a number out of my arse.
I read thst article. Where do you get 11 million per week from?
No i didn't do what you did. I googled the cost.  You are just being silly.

Yes you did!

You admitted you read the article which explains, right at the start, that Britain doesn't pay £18bn a year (your £350m * 52 weeks). But you pretended you hadn't read it and posted the anti-intellectual rant anyway.

I posted 30 words.  It was hardly a rant.

I didn't pretend anything, I said I read the article.  The UK pay a lot of money into the EU every year which will leave a huge hole in there finance if the UK leave.

Stick to your crap[tion] competition if you can't argue without being facetious.

This is one of the first 10 lines of the article you said you read:

"The UK doesn't pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

And you accuse me of being facetious.  ;D ;D ;D
I read the article. It said they paid in 350 million per week.  If you want to say they get X amount of this back and being in the EU also brings Y jobs etc. fair enough.  It doesn't change the fact that the UK leaving the EU will leave a huge hole in the EU finances.

No it didn't!

I have already posted the quote that makes a lie of that claim. And it is very prominent in the article you said you read. Are you refused to read this or what?

"...The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

"The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much."

When i hear and read this sort of guff I find it hard to believe people are taken in by the simple economics of it. Do people believe that the UK have been involved in some sort of charitable donation scheme for the past 40 years. The net contribution the UK make is more than covered out of the profits British companies get from unrestricted access to 27 other European markets and the tax take from this. The net contribution is a the same as the marketing and sales development fee used to increase the standards of living to less developed regions not as a charitable donation but to increase the market for British exports. If markets close (which they will be) exports fall tax take falls and the cost of imports rise as a result of the fall in sterling and import tariffs. Inflation will edge up and interest rates will follow. Unemployement will also rise. NI is the biggest loser in this. What company is going to invest in an area which has a small local market without unristricted access to a slightly bigger market 30 miles down the road. Closed off to the European market by tariffs and removed from the UK market by the Irish sea. It costs £800 to get a 40ft into the south of England which is were the population is. Declining tax take in the UK means less money in the block grant.

johnneycool

Even after the brexit, the UK will have to pay for the privilege of trading with the EU and meet all the associated compliance requirements without having any say in these standards.

The ability to control your own borders might come with a very high price for the little Englanders.

Apart from possible issues around the hard /soft border with the north, the 26 counties could be quid's in with the big multinationals looking a new EU base.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2016, 10:21:08 PM
Even after the brexit, the UK will have to pay for the privilege of trading with the EU and meet all the associated compliance requirements without having any say in these standards.

The ability to control your own borders might come with a very high price for the little Englanders.

Apart from possible issues around the hard /soft border with the north, the 26 counties could be quid's in with the big multinationals looking a new EU base.

It is a lose/lose for the 6 counties. For the 26 counties it is a swings and roundabouts, but not in a good way. Yes, some banks etc might come to Dublin and drive up rents etc there further, but indigenous Irish business might be adversely affected and places like Donegal more than most. So you get a bit of what caused Brexit moved here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Newcastle this weekend:

MWWSI 2017

muppet

I wonder how the DUP would feel about being repatriated?
MWWSI 2017

smelmoth

The No1 most effected economy in this is RoI. And I include UK in this

UK is a key a market for RoI. Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on June 26, 2016, 10:49:23 PM

UK is a key a market for RoI. Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

The ROI is one of the few places the UK has a trade surplus with, owing to the volume of consumer goods from there. Sterling going down is a swings and roundabouts issue too.

muppet

UK is a key a market for RoI.
Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

Is the UK not a key market for the UK?   :D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Fearmongers still at it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/the-eu-will-treat-britain-like-greece/

All the more reason for a formula to get the 6 counties out of this shite.

dferg

Most people on this forum seem to focus on how Brexit will affect the UK economy, I feel it will affect the Euro at least as much if not more.  We have already the leader of the far right in France calling for a free vote for a FREXIT which Hollande says he will not allow.  He can stall this vote but if the already strong Far Right (NF was the largest party in France in 2014 European elections https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(France)) win the election next spring they will push hard for a vote on FREXIT.  Spain for example with 20% unemployment could easily follow and demand a vote on the Euro.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-britain-but-sell-europe-after-stunning-brexit-rebuke-2016-06-24

muppet

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 11:57:59 PM

Most people on this forum seem to focus on how Brexit will affect the UK economy, I feel it will affect the Euro at least as much if not more.  We have already the leader of the far right in France calling for a free vote for a FREXIT which Hollande says he will not allow.  He can stall this vote but if the already strong Far Right (NF was the largest party in France in 2014 European elections https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(France)) win the election next spring they will push hard for a vote on FREXIT.  Spain for example with 20% unemployment could easily follow and demand a vote on the Euro.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-britain-but-sell-europe-after-stunning-brexit-rebuke-2016-06-24

You think Britain leaving the EU will affect the EU 'at least as much if not more' than it will affect Britain?

Seriously?
MWWSI 2017