Time for a post-catholic Ireland

Started by Feckitt, May 31, 2018, 09:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Poor Syf. Getting it on here from Rudi and Rossfan, guveballaghback over on the GAA side. All Rossies, is he really that bad on stolensheep?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Rudi on June 02, 2018, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 01, 2018, 11:34:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 10:55:39 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on June 01, 2018, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 10:31:13 PM
I know exactly one person my age that are religious. The show is over I'm afraid.

That could be a reflection of your circle of friends moreso Syf? I have a group of about 10 close friends, 7 never miss Mass, 2 are 50/50 and 1 never darkens the doors. So in my opinion the show ain't over.

Plus it's not as if you'd be an exemplar representative of today's society.

It's very much a reflection of society in this case. A very pointless and adversarial post from you. I usually don't take the bait but this one was just daft.
And you're more representative than therealdonald why and/or how?

In the land of Sufferus he is the Alpha, Omega, King, Queen even God. Their is no one like him not even Sid. He is the highest power.

Are you saying that young people don't have little to no engagement with the church, or did you just post this to have a go? You talk about me acting superior, yet it's posts like this that display in no uncertain terms your own obsession with appearing superior. You're the one who tries to mount the high horse rather than act like an adult.

If you don't have a good argument, shout. Seems to be yourself and Rossfan's MO on this board. I don't think you actually realise that it's your views that exist on the fringes of the mainstream and not mine.

bennydorano

Returning to the OP & the idea of 'A post Catholic Ireland'. It actually makes me think more about the influence of 1916 and it as a factor in the direction & influence on modern Ireland more so than the RCC. While the RCC was obviously a huge factor in Irish life before it, it ultimately was a huge beneficiary of the Rising. Without 1916 Ireland, unfettered by the Constitutionally guaranteed influence of the RCC, may have developed as a more Liberal nation in line with the rest of the UK/Europe.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 02, 2018, 04:18:28 PM
Returning to the OP & the idea of 'A post Catholic Ireland'. It actually makes me think more about the influence of 1916 and it as a factor in the direction & influence on modern Ireland more so than the RCC. While the RCC was obviously a huge factor in Irish life before it, it ultimately was a huge beneficiary of the Rising. Without 1916 Ireland, unfettered by the Constitutionally guaranteed influence of the RCC, may have developed as a more Liberal nation in line with the rest of the UK/Europe.

Quite the reverse in my opinion. The Catholic church gained influence under colonial rule, and because the unionists created an association between being a Protestant and wanting the country to be a colony. Without independence Ireland would have been something like NI is today. What might have lead to a different path would have been a measure of Home Rule from the time of Parnell, leading to independence with everyone on board.

However, the Irish Catholic Church as a product of its people as much as the people were a product of the Catholic Church.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Good point about Home Rule, if it had've been implemented on an All Ireland basis as originally intended it could have been a real game changer.

Still think my point stands tho, whereas the OP refers to a post-catholic Ireland it could quite easily be framed as the need to be a 'post 1916 influenced Ireland', the Rising and all that followed gave ROI the culture that the RCC exponentially increased (and subsequently abused) it's power in. Huge swathes of that culture are being unpicked, I just think it's much bigger than an RCC issue as the OP would suggest.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 02, 2018, 04:57:31 PM
Good point about Home Rule, if it had've been implemented on an All Ireland basis as originally intended it could have been a real game changer.

Still think my point stands tho, whereas the OP refers to a post-catholic Ireland it could quite easily be framed as the need to be a 'post 1916 influenced Ireland', the Rising and all that followed gave ROI the culture that the RCC exponentially increased (and subsequently abused) it's power in. Huge swathes of that culture are being unpicked, I just think it's much bigger than an RCC issue as the OP would suggest.

The unionists would never have accepted Home Rule. Their mistake was to include Fermanagh and Tyrone in their statelet.
The only thing that will finish NI is a nationalist majority.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: Rudi on June 02, 2018, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 01, 2018, 11:34:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 10:55:39 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on June 01, 2018, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 10:31:13 PM
I know exactly one person my age that are religious. The show is over I'm afraid.

That could be a reflection of your circle of friends moreso Syf? I have a group of about 10 close friends, 7 never miss Mass, 2 are 50/50 and 1 never darkens the doors. So in my opinion the show ain't over.

Plus it's not as if you'd be an exemplar representative of today's society.

It's very much a reflection of society in this case. A very pointless and adversarial post from you. I usually don't take the bait but this one was just daft.
And you're more representative than therealdonald why and/or how?

In the land of Sufferus he is the Alpha, Omega, King, Queen even God. Their is no one like him not even Sid. He is the highest power.

Hi Rudi!

Any more unsubstantiated lies you want to add to this discussion like you did the referendum one? If so, I'll be happy to call you out on them and send you packing with your tail between your legs again.

sid waddell

Fine article by Fr. Liam Power in the Waterford News and Star here

His columns are worth a read in general

Good to see progressive and reasonable voices like him in the Catholic Church

QuoteFR LIAM POWER: THERE MUST BE LIMIT TO APPEASING ULTRA-CATHOLICS

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/15/fr-liam-power-there-must-be-limit-to-appeasing-ultra-catholics/#.X2O9PGhKg2w

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on September 17, 2020, 08:51:23 PM

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/15/fr-liam-power-there-must-be-limit-to-appeasing-ultra-catholics/#.X2O9PGhKg2w

WTF is wrong with these people?

Do they have a screw loose?

Sad to see US religious right-style yahooism now cropping up in Ireland.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: J70 on September 17, 2020, 09:05:55 PM

WTF is wrong with these people?

Do they have a screw loose?

Sad to see US religious right-style yahooism now cropping up in Ireland.

It is. It was shocking to see the abuse hurled at Fr. Stephen Farragher a few weeks back in Ballyhaunis.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eamonnca1

Christ. Sad to see toxic American far-right ideology crossing the Atlantic. It still sounds stupid when I hear Irish people bleating about "liberals destroying our society," but god help us if those poisonous fact-averse ideas take hold in Ireland. Election results are heartening though. The Gemmaroids never seem to get much support when it comes to voting time and they usually lose their deposits.

Rossfan

I wonder what's their reaction when they discover Chrustianity was founded by brown skinned people from the middle East??!

And that Jesus lad wouldn't get much hearing from them hanging about with prostitutes, tax collectors and the like preaching about loving all sorts of people including foreigners and equality and forgiveness etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LCohen

I wonder what the reaction would be if the nut job evangelists preaching through megaphones etc in town and city centres weren't Christian but some other religion. Surely if it's a good idea for Christian maniacs to roar at the citizenry it must be a good idea to let Islam and the Jedi to have a rattle?

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 18, 2020, 04:27:35 AM

Christ. Sad to see toxic American far-right ideology crossing the Atlantic. It still sounds stupid when I hear Irish people bleating about "liberals destroying our society," but god help us if those poisonous fact-averse ideas take hold in Ireland. Election results are heartening though. The Gemmaroids never seem to get much support when it comes to voting time and they usually lose their deposits.
Toxic far right ideology in Ireland is Irish  and wasn't imported here from the USA.
Gemma hasn't got the mass support because generally that particular conspiracy rhetoric she uses  doesn't resonate with the passive ordinary Irish racist and perhaps Islamophobia is not such a thing just yet. Peter Casey was much more cute when it came to tapping into Ireland's racism,  his poll went from 1% to 22% overnight.

Perhaps instead of Gemma, a right wing campaigner like Dana moaning about Travellers would have hit the richter scale of ultra right wing support.
Being prejudiced/racist  against Travellers is acceptable in Ireland, it's so ingrained in the dna that it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Angelo

Quote from: Main Street on September 19, 2020, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 18, 2020, 04:27:35 AM

Toxic far right ideology in Ireland is Irish  and wasn't imported here from the USA.
Gemma hasn't got the mass support because generally that particular conspiracy rhetoric she uses  doesn't resonate with the passive ordinary Irish racist and perhaps Islamophobia is not such a thing just yet. Peter Casey was much more cute when it came to tapping into Ireland's racism,  his poll went from 1% to 22% overnight.

Perhaps instead of Gemma, a right wing campaigner like Dana moaning about Travellers would have hit the richter scale of ultra right wing support.
Being prejudiced/racist  against Travellers is acceptable in Ireland, it's so ingrained in the dna that it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Do travellers as a whole have much will to better themselves and integrate with society as a whole?

I think a lot of the traveller rights group do their people too much of a disservice at times. There is definitely a racism element to travellers but surely they also need to take on board there is a sizable majority of their community who consistently let them down and without addressing that first of all its pointless
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL