Can cramps cause damage?

Started by bennydorano, August 02, 2017, 12:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

On return from holidays I went hard at it on the bike for a week to try and shift the holiday weight. One day I took 3 cramps simultaneously, 1 in my left hammy, 1 on the same leg but at the side of my thigh and another side of the thigh cramp on the other leg. I've never experienced anything like it in my life, I was on the verge of passing out. The hammy hasn't been the same since and is twitching like mad. Could a bad cramp do real damage? Google says no. Can still cycle but doubt I'm helping matters.

Puckoon

Cramp, or pain? Serious overuse of the muscle can cause Rhabdomyolysis which is a muscle tissue break down where some of the degredation protein can be released into the blood stream. Google "spin class and sore legs"... really common in spin class folks, cross fit folks, weightlifters and runners.

You see any brown in the urine - go to the doctor.

Go easy on the bike FFS, you'll get run over by a board member.

EDIT: Just re-reading your post and your comment that you'd never experienced anything like it in your life, as well as being on the verge of passing out just re-enforces this in my opinion as something to think about. Sounds like a couple of cases I've heard and read about this year.

bennydorano

No pain as such (or dodgy urine), just constant twitching in the hammy, feels like it could go into spasm again at any minute.

I'm a gentleman cyclist btw.

Ball Hopper

Electrolyte imbalance possibly?*  Salt deficiency?*

*don't take medical advice from internet gaaheads

JimStynes

Pushing too hard to break red lights could be your problem. Bloody cyclists!

Owen Brannigan

Are there no physios or doctors in Armagh? Please don't resort to advice from us eejits on the Board except for advice to seek proper medical help. You are at an age where you can't afford to take chances with your health, what used to be a minor injury out easily overcame  can now lead to complications.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on August 02, 2017, 12:20:58 AM
On return from holidays I went hard at it on the bike for a week to try and shift the holiday weight. One day I took 3 cramps simultaneously, 1 in my left hammy, 1 on the same leg but at the side of my thigh and another side of the thigh cramp on the other leg. I've never experienced anything like it in my life, I was on the verge of passing out. The hammy hasn't been the same since and is twitching like mad. Could a bad cramp do real damage? Google says no. Can still cycle but doubt I'm helping matters.

What are you drinking while on the bike and how much over how many hours ?

MoChara

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 02, 2017, 01:32:04 AM

Definitely what it sounds like to me, Sodium and Magnesium deficiency will cause everything you're said, but as the other says if you're worried about it get it looked at.

punt kick

Quote from: maddog on August 02, 2017, 08:19:06 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 02, 2017, 12:20:58 AM

What are you drinking while on the bike and how much over how many hours ?

When I saw him he was just ditching the second half bottle of bow over the hedge on the old moy road!

maddog

Quote from: MoChara on August 02, 2017, 08:26:03 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 02, 2017, 01:32:04 AM

Definitely what it sounds like to me, Sodium and Magnesium deficiency will cause everything you're said, but as the other says if you're worried about it get it looked at.

If you have a bottle of diluting blackcurrant drink and put a twist of rock salt into the top of it it works wonders. Doesnt taste salty and keeps the cramps away.

screenexile

Not to proclaim to be an expert but a while ago I got a bad cramp in the calf and it was sore for a few days after.

Went out to training a couple of days later and tore it completely so I'd definitely get to a physio as soon as you can so you don't do any more damage!

Keyser soze

Sounds like u might have Lycracarblocitis, which apparently has been affecting lots of cyclists this summer.

Best thing is to get off the bike for a while. And stay off it.

Some people would even recommend lying down in the middle of a busy trunk road at rush hour to get the comeuppance you so richly deserve.

Tony Baloney

Whilst I wish you no harm, if it's another cyclist off the road for a while, I'll take it  ;D. Get well soon!

And to reiterate the point of others, if you are worried see a physio or GP.

brokencrossbar1

f**k sake man..there's bugger all wrong with you...get back on the bike ye big Jessie and burn through it...you'll get nowhere in the world by giving into it....ride through the pain!!!!

Alternatively you could go to the Physio!!!

bennydorano

I had plenty of those high 5 tablets in my bottles, so I was thinking it wasn't a hydration issue, but I did have a lot of miles in the legs b4 this particular spin and it wasn't a soft one either. If it continues I'll go for a rub and see.

Cheers