La Vuelta 2016

Started by bennydorano, August 19, 2016, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

My favourite GT of the year, always the most entertaining. A fair bit of talent at the top of the betting but a few weak looking squads overall.

Contador 2/1
Froome 3/1
Quintana 7/2
Chaves 6/1
Kruijswijk 12/1

Looking forward to seeing how Kruijswijk goes, unlucky in the Giro. I'd expect Contador & Quintana to battle it out for the win as they've the most to prove (& seasons to save),  Froome always seems to want to have a rattle at it, if he stays safe he's an obvious danger.

JimStynes

Any Irish in it? Would love froome to win it.

bennydorano

Not that I can see. No Argon 18, so no Sam Bennett,  no Roche or Deignan for Sky (see Nico is off to BMC).

http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2016/us/teams/tfs.html

bennydorano

Sorry, Argon 18 are there, no Bennett tho.

bennydorano

Typical Vuelta today, no fannying about, stage 3 and up a complete beast of a climb for last 2km - Mirador de Ezaro  (max 30%).

Contador in trouble already 1min 30sec down. Froome, Chaves & Quintana all looking good. Early doors.

JimStynes

Must get onto steephill here and get looking at the highlights. Contador may pack it in or get on the gear again.

JimStynes

No messing about in Vuelta with the amount of climbs they have in the first week! I think it is stage 8 that has an absolute killer finish on it as well. Class race.

JimStynes

The Kenyan is closing in on Quintana!

SHEEDY

serious climb again today, real tough finish to the stage. it was good to see a proper head to head duel between froome and quintana in the mountains for the first time in ages.
nil satis nisi optimum

bennydorano

It always ends up the best GT with Tour drop outs etc... Savage course every year. TDF has been shit for years

yellowcard

Leaving aside any doping issues, the racing so far has been far more exciting in the first half of this race than in the entire tour. All the big riders involved in proper showdowns on mountain top finishes. Far less towing and racing being stifled by team dominance.

Take Your Points

Quote from: yellowcard on August 31, 2016, 10:34:46 PM
Leaving aside any doping issues, the racing so far has been far more exciting in the first half of this race than in the entire tour. All the big riders involved in proper showdowns on mountain top finishes. Far less towing and racing being stifled by team dominance.

Welcome to the Vuelta, same most years.

bennydorano

TDF has become a circus. The race is sterile, the punditry & media side shows are pathetic. Rapidly becoming my least favourite cycling event of the year. It's sad that it is viewed as the pinnacle of the sport and the rest of the year barely gets a mention outside the cycling related media - doesn't compare to the Classics season.

bennydorano

Definitive stage today. Froome caught napping early & paid the price.

SHEEDY

Quote from: bennydorano on September 04, 2016, 07:50:43 PM
Definitive stage today. Froome caught napping early & paid the price.
it was refreshing to see the sky machine being found out today, Froome was badly caught out and missed the break. Quintanas lead of over 3 mins is going to be hard to claw back.
nil satis nisi optimum