The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

See the players named as having a 'club', what's the story there, would any of those guys Ever tog out for their real local club?

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2018, 11:13:39 PM
See the players named as having a 'club', what's the story there, would any of those guys Ever tog out for their real local club?

No

bennydorano

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2018, 11:18:04 PM

No

Sometimes they would coming back from injury or whatever. Paul O Connell played for the cookies a couple of times after injuries.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2018, 11:37:27 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2018, 11:18:04 PM

No

Sometimes they would coming back from injury or whatever. Paul O Connell played for the cookies a couple of times after injuries.

That happened years ago, would be A games now, the club affiliation is just so senior clubs can feel important plus if a player is affiliated to them they get extra international tickets. It's all about the tickets for the senior clubs. Take Joey Carbery his club should be Athy  8 years with Athy, 1 year Blackrock College, 1 year Clontarf. He will get referred to in the media more often as a Clontarf player and product of Blackrock than he will product of Athy RFC, bolloxolgy really.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Chris Henry says signing the steroid South African is unacceptable. But look at the size of Henry. He reminds me of those cheap chickens bred for their fillets. Size FF . Organic chickens might be a B.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/it-is-unacceptable-ireland-international-hits-out-at-signing-of-gerbrandt-grobler-36501599.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2018, 08:24:50 AM
Chris Henry says signing the steroid South African is unacceptable. But look at the size of Henry. He reminds me of those cheap chickens bred for their fillets. Size FF . Organic chickens might be a B.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/it-is-unacceptable-ireland-international-hits-out-at-signing-of-gerbrandt-grobler-36501599.html

How big was Chris Henry when he was 20? I doubt he took any shortcuts, I say doubt because who the f**k knows really! Look at the size of some of the Galway hurlers!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2018, 08:34:25 AM

How big was Chris Henry when he was 20? I doubt he took any shortcuts, I say doubt because who the f**k knows really! Look at the size of some of the Galway hurlers!!!
I think rugby is grotesque at this stage  . It is a freak show .
Pro sports are always going to be more extreme.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

Freak show I don't know, backs are getting bigger sure but forwards now need to be more athletic as the ball is in play longer and too much bulk is causing an issue. Suspect more Rugby players will test positive for EPO or any PED than can improve aerobic and anaerobic performance.

Does society reflect Pro-Sports or does Pros-Sports reflect society? Go to any gym and have a look around at the size of some of the guys in there and remind yourself these are just guys who want to look good!!
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2018, 09:16:49 AM

Freak show I don't know, backs are getting bigger sure but forwards now need to be more athletic as the ball is in play longer and too much bulk is causing an issue. Suspect more Rugby players will test positive for EPO or any PED than can improve aerobic and anaerobic performance.

Does society reflect Pro-Sports or does Pros-Sports reflect society? Go to any gym and have a look around at the size of some of the guys in there and remind yourself these are just guys who want to look good!!
What proportion of people go to gyms? How many rugby players would look normal in a suit ??

magpie seanie

I think rugby is heading for serious issues down the road. They've really done little to nothing to address head injuries and I fear the power these professional players possess is doing huge damage.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2018, 09:22:17 AM
I think rugby is heading for serious issues down the road. They've really done little to nothing to address head injuries and I fear the power these professional players possess is doing huge damage.

That's bollox, every rugby club in Ireland has been invited to or held concussion seminars for coaches, players and parents, referee's are now more strict than ever on high tackles which is changing the culture of tackling. Any young under age player with a concussion or a suspect concussion cannot play for 3 weeks plus 1 day after the incident.

In the Professional game independent doctors are appointed to oversee HIAs with strict return to play guidelines.

The IRFU are away ahead of concussions compared to any other sport apart from boxing. Granted two sports that are probably affected the most but a recent report showed 15% of league of Ireland players have had a concussion during one season of football and more worryingly 40% of them were not stopped from training or playing a competitive game.

I would suspect similar figures for GAA.

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2018, 09:21:10 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2018, 09:16:49 AM

What proportion of people go to gyms? How many rugby players would look normal in a suit ??

21%

https://twitter.com/SportforBusines/status/953911297363664896

Seriously you mustn't know many rugby if you think they are all behemoths

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Why do young players have a 3 week to return to play protocol but older (who you'd imagine are getting hit harder) players don't? While there has been some steps to address high tackles it's nowhere near strong enough. It's not just about direct impact to the head.......the brain can get a fair jolt from a collision also. Tackles aimed at stopping the offload will have to be outlawed.

The NFL was forced into taking radical steps. Money was the thing that made it happen. Rugby will be the same at some point. Guys are going into car crashes multiple times and then doing it again the following week.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2018, 10:13:52 AM
Why do young players have a 3 week to return to play protocol but older (who you'd imagine are getting hit harder) players don't? While there has been some steps to address high tackles it's nowhere near strong enough. It's not just about direct impact to the head.......the brain can get a fair jolt from a collision also. Tackles aimed at stopping the offload will have to be outlawed.

The NFL was forced into taking radical steps. Money was the thing that made it happen. Rugby will be the same at some point. Guys are going into car crashes multiple times and then doing it again the following week.

Young players are still developing physically, so they get a month out. It's 21 days for an adult player before they can play. Every concussion is reported to the IRFU at every level. Referees will remove a player if he suspects any kind of head injury and he will report that as well.

In the professional game they have strict return to play protocols, player cognitive responses are bench marked at the start of the season and are used as a guideline when returning to play but by no means only requirement to pass before you can play.

The choke, wrap tackles are being addressed at every level and if you make any contact with the end even if initial contact is below the shoulders it's a penalty and a good chance of a yellow card, it's a change in culture it doesn't happen immediately. Anecdotally speaking there has been a lot less head injuries this season at all levels, however it will take a few years of collecting data before a proper trend can be identified.

#newbridgeornowhere