Match-Fixing - Soccer

Started by clarshack, February 04, 2013, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

wonder what game it was?

the chelsea v barcelona game at stamford bridge in 2009 was a dodgy one.

was also gonna say everton & villareal but that was in 2005.

muppet

QuoteAt a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:

The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years";

The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits

In total 380 suspicious matches were in Europe and a further 300 in Africa, Asia and south and central America.

Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

That is serious stuff. If we are all up in arms over Lance Armstrong's cheating then we should be the same for this. Although we have very little info to go on yet.

*orders popcorn*
MWWSI 2017

supersarsfields

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2013, 01:14:05 PM
QuoteAt a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:

The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years";

The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits

In total 380 suspicious matches were in Europe and a further 300 in Africa, Asia and south and central America.

Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

That is serious stuff. If we are all up in arms over Lance Armstrong's cheating then we should be the same for this. Although we have very little info to go on yet.

*orders popcorn*

Whew!! That's liverpool in the clear.

muppet

Quote£6.9m in profits

If I fixed 360 games, I'd be hoping for a bit more than that. Something doesn't add up here.
MWWSI 2017

beer baron

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2013, 01:26:42 PM
Quote£6.9m in profits

If I fixed 360 games, I'd be hoping for a bit more than that. Something doesn't add up here.

Presume they were trying to be smart about it and put enough on each game to make a nice profit but not enough to alert the bookmakers e.g Stephen Lee in the snooker  ::)

deiseach

I can think of one Liverpool CL game played just over five years ago that was well dodge.

Franko

Quote£6.9m in profits

These profits were only in 'Germany-based' games, the 380 games were Europe-wide.  Also,  I'd imagine these take into account the bribes paid etc etc.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2013, 02:06:21 PM
Is anybody surprised at this?
I'd be very surprised if an English champions league team was involved in match fixing. But I presume that's not what this is about and that it would be individual players trying to influence first throw-in, yellow card, etc.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on February 04, 2013, 02:18:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2013, 02:06:21 PM
Is anybody surprised at this?
I'd be very surprised if an English champions league team was involved in match fixing. But I presume that's not what this is about and that it would be individual players trying to influence first throw-in, yellow card, etc.

Probably something like that alright, but TBH I think some bookies deserve all they get by taking such stupid bets on in the first place.

muppet

Quote from: Franko on February 04, 2013, 02:04:16 PM
Quote£6.9m in profits

These profits were only in 'Germany-based' games, the 380 games were Europe-wide.  Also,  I'd imagine these take into account the bribes paid etc etc.

Just noticed that, although only 1 game was in England. It would be interesting to see a breakdown.
MWWSI 2017

theskull1

Any chance that national league games could be open to the influence of betting syndicates?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM
Any chance that national league games could be open to the influence of betting syndicates?

Would have thought this would be quite easily done, especially with the spread betting.

muppet

Quote from: NAG1 on February 04, 2013, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM

Would have thought this would be quite easily done, especially with the spread betting.

All right who bet on Kerry not to score in the 2nd half yesterday?
MWWSI 2017