Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

In hiding

tiempo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 03, 2017, 08:53:10 AM
Its easy to keep blaming Harte and ignore the players but in reality we have lots of issues that go beyond the manager. Yesterday we tried to push up a bit but our defenders got ran all over. We lack top quality defenders and I'm not sure of to many outside of who is already involved. We also lack top quality full forwards who can win their own ball and score. Last week everyone was crying for Bradley in the full forward line. He played there a lot yesterday but couldn't win the ball. He is better in a role allowing him to go in and out so he can find space easier.

It's been a very poor finish to the league and we don't seem fit and lack leaders on the pitch. Our best players like Harte and Mattie (missing yesterday) have been poor enough. Harte's 2-4 yesterday looks much better on paper than his actual performance. Teams have also made Colm Cavanaghs role redundant by not kicking the ball in near in him.

We seriously need to look at our strategy ahead of the championship. Maybe 6 weeks of hard training now will make all the difference and we will see much more energy for the championship and better performances. If that's the case we will soon forget about a bad end to the league. But it has been a worrying few weeks. The worst thing about it is that very few of our squad members who have been given chances have shown anything at all. Thought McNulty actually did ok breaking the ball yesterday and could be an option if we our going to push up on kickouts. I'm not sure after yesterday we'll see Conall McCann involved again this year.

A standard MH move. Take someone who hasn't seen much action and throw him into a bear pit, then use it to justify no further action for the rest of the season. Training session fodder no doubt though living the dream on GPA food parcels.

Mickey also tried this with Ricey in 2003, put him on to mark Colin Corkery in the league against Cork in Dungannon, a mismatch in terms of size etc. Ricey fronted up and did very well, still wasn't enough to start in the Championship against Derry though. Mickey was trying to get him roasted so as to justify the decision.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tiempo on April 03, 2017, 10:58:35 AM
Its easy to keep blaming Harte and ignore the players but in reality we have lots of issues that go beyond the manager. Yesterday we tried to push up a bit but our defenders got ran all over. We lack top quality defenders and I'm not sure of to many outside of who is already involved. We also lack top quality full forwards who can win their own ball and score. Last week everyone was crying for Bradley in the full forward line. He played there a lot yesterday but couldn't win the ball. He is better in a role allowing him to go in and out so he can find space easier.

It's been a very poor finish to the league and we don't seem fit and lack leaders on the pitch. Our best players like Harte and Mattie (missing yesterday) have been poor enough. Harte's 2-4 yesterday looks much better on paper than his actual performance. Teams have also made Colm Cavanaghs role redundant by not kicking the ball in near in him.

We seriously need to look at our strategy ahead of the championship. Maybe 6 weeks of hard training now will make all the difference and we will see much more energy for the championship and better performances. If that's the case we will soon forget about a bad end to the league. But it has been a worrying few weeks. The worst thing about it is that very few of our squad members who have been given chances have shown anything at all. Thought McNulty actually did ok breaking the ball yesterday and could be an option if we our going to push up on kickouts. I'm not sure after yesterday we'll see Conall McCann involved again this year.

A standard MH move. Take someone who hasn't seen much action and throw him into a bear pit, then use it to justify no further action for the rest of the season. Training session fodder no doubt though living the dream on GPA food parcels.

Mickey also tried this with Ricey in 2003, put him on to mark Colin Corkery in the league against Cork in Dungannon, a mismatch in terms of size etc. Ricey fronted up and did very well, still wasn't enough to start in the Championship against Derry though. Mickey was trying to get him roasted so as to justify the decision.

Or perhaps Conall McCann was showing up well in training and Harte thought he deserved a go. It is difficult coming into a team but would expect bit more hard work and appetite to get on the ball than he showed yesterday. He has been a good club player for Killyclogher and did rightly in the sigerson final but so far not shown anything to suggest he can step up at county level which is unfortunate.

Dire Ear

Quote from: outinfront on April 03, 2017, 09:48:04 AM
Will Tyrone retain Ulster championship?
No.  Players have had any confidence in their own ability , drained out of them.

longballin

Can't see them win Ulster. The system of play is killing them. 

In hiding

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 03, 2017, 11:25:25 AM

Or perhaps Conall McCann was showing up well in training and Harte thought he deserved a go. It is difficult coming into a team but would expect bit more hard work and appetite to get on the ball than he showed yesterday. He has been a good club player for Killyclogher and did rightly in the sigerson final but so far not shown anything to suggest he can step up at county level which is unfortunate.
If, as you say he has been showing well in training surely 35 mins in killarney would not be sufficient to condemn him for the rest of the year. You are very gracious to accept he "did rightly in the sigerson final". 🙁
I don't know whether he is good enough to play county football regularly but you seem to be able to make the harsh call easily enough

Helpline

The Tyrone teams of the last 5/6 years have been vastly overrated and didn't and won't beat the likes of Dublin,Mayo & Kerry in championship or informant games. Need to change the root up at this stage.
The first half was even, the second half was even worse

seanmc123

I agree that we did try and push up but i thought we where a bit naive as Kerry played very defensively and caught us on the counter attack time after time. I thought we looked very tired. Maybe the break has come at a good time. The journey down to Kerry in all fairness is not easy, so maybe the had a bearing on our first half shwoing. Our midfield was run ragged, our half back-line was all over the place. Full forwards for Kerry didn't seem to do much from play but over all poor enough showing.

Draw a line under the league, we stayed up which was our main aim and now to retain the ulster championship.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: In hiding on April 03, 2017, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 03, 2017, 11:25:25 AM

If, as you say he has been showing well in training surely 35 mins in killarney would not be sufficient to condemn him for the rest of the year. You are very gracious to accept he "did rightly in the sigerson final". 🙁
I don't know whether he is good enough to play county football regularly but you seem to be able to make the harsh call easily enough

What I said wasn't purely based on 35 minutes in Killarney though. He has now appeared for Tyrone in over 20 games and has yet to convince in the majority. For a player coming into the team surely you'd expect to see a bit of fight and trying to prove themselves. He had chances to get tackles and hits in but for whatever reason didn't do it and only remember him winning one ball. Don't want to be too negative about him because he is a decent club player.

GaelTheGael

I find frustrating its the same core group of players that Harte has used over the past three four weeks.
McClure played in tyrones first 7/8 games this year and looked excellent around the middle, then got dropped for a few weeks brought back in hooked at half time and not seen since.
McNulty, Conall McCann, Rory Brennan. Its always the easy targets that harte takes off even though a number of more established players are unperforming. These players never get touched.
McCullagh, Cassidy, McHugh, Loughran (bar 15 V Mayo) are all bound to be questioning staying on the panel, called up and not been given a fair crack at it and will be missing club games over the head of it.
Likewise HP McGeary hasnt seen game time but Aidan McCrory is continually given chances. Ronan O'Neill, Cathal McShane also given chance after chance at the expense of other players on the squad.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GaelTheGael on April 03, 2017, 02:18:32 PM
I find frustrating its the same core group of players that Harte has used over the past three four weeks.
McClure played in tyrones first 7/8 games this year and looked excellent around the middle, then got dropped for a few weeks brought back in hooked at half time and not seen since.
McNulty, Conall McCann, Rory Brennan. Its always the easy targets that harte takes off even though a number of more established players are unperforming. These players never get touched.
McCullagh, Cassidy, McHugh, Loughran (bar 15 V Mayo) are all bound to be questioning staying on the panel, called up and not been given a fair crack at it and will be missing club games over the head of it.
Likewise HP McGeary hasnt seen game time but Aidan McCrory is continually given chances. Ronan O'Neill, Cathal McShane also given chance after chance at the expense of other players on the squad.

At least two of those new players you mentioned were injured for a good chunk of the league.

The Trap

What I don't understand is how a Kerry team that started with 6/7 players most people would never have heard of can be leading a Tyrone team, almost at full strength by 1-11 to 0-3? Things must really be at a low ebb in the panel. How long of a break from county training are they getting to enjoy a bit of league football with their clubs and get away from the bubble?

I see a lot of people slating Harte on here, Barton on the Derry page, McGleenan in Cavan, Burns in Down, Fitzsimmons in Antrim, McGeeney in Armagh, McGrath in Fermanagh.......only Gallagher and O'Rourke are ok for now......there aren't many men out there able and willing to do these jobs......Ulster could back in the doldrums for a while.

omagh_gael

Quote from: longballin on April 03, 2017, 04:09:52 PM
Interesting from Brolly.... probably true: http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=268566&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Clearly discontent within the camp. It's very rare that you hear anything like this from 'insiders' on the panel, taking into account the finance issue earlier this year. I could write off the Donegal game as a bad day at the office but what really opened my eyes was the lack of fight in the Mayo game as I was sure the team would blow them away in response to the Ballybofey debacle.

Sounds to me like there has to be a lot of work done between now and championship as the last three defeats (the manner of the defeats more so than the lost points) have left a dark cloud over a previously excellent start.