Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: tothetop03 on October 25, 2016, 09:31:29 PM
Was Conner Meyler not injured most of the year and only back around club champioship time...

His first game available after long term injury was the QF against Mayo. Even county players take a while to get back into the swing of things. Personally, I thought he looked excellent for us in 2015 and would hope he'd get a good shot at a HF role next year.

superstar_

Personally id have Frank Burns and Niall Sludden as my two wing forwards but I would have meyler as one of my first subs and ahead of McGeary, Richie and McShane as my wing forward option.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 25, 2016, 09:25:52 PM
Did Frank Burns get any time with the seniors this year? As far as I am aware he was on the panel all year. Thought he looked like the standout potential senior from the AI u-21 win.

Burns only joined up after the conclusion of the U21.

Think he got some time against Cavan in the league final but that was the height of it.

I would expect Justy to give it another year but Joe to call it a day, Joe has barely played any football over the last three years and I think he knows himself that he will have a big job to force his way into the side. A great player for us down through the years.

Tyrone95

If mcgeary, hampsey, burns etc are to push on this year would J munroe be in contention for a starting place after featuring regularly as a sub last year.  If so what positions would be up for grabs?

rrhf

I think he needs to, The entire pace of the play for the Tyrone senior team has to change. That involves youth.

Tyrone Gaa

Seen Burns play quite a few times this year, while he is a talent I don't see who he can claim a position ahead of in the team.  He tends to generally slow the play.  Will watch this space but for me he will be a panel member next year.  I hope he can make the progression but from what I've seen to date he wouldn't get in my 15.

Bradley absolutely has to play in the Full Forward line and stay there as an outlet maybe with Sean Cavanagh if he stays on, but Cavanagh also needs to stay inside not in his half back line making clumsy tackles.  Cavanagh is most dangerous when he is in shooting range.  I'd also let Bradley hit free kicks

Living the dream!!!

tothetop03

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 25, 2016, 11:22:33 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on October 25, 2016, 09:31:29 PM
Was Conner Meyler not injured most of the year and only back around club champioship time...

His first game available after long term injury was the QF against Mayo. Even county players take a while to get back into the swing of things. Personally, I thought he looked excellent for us in 2015 and would hope he'd get a good shot at a HF role next year.

When in his best condition both in fitness and form he would be in my team every week...

Fuzzman

I'd say Burns is well down the list of new faces who we will see next year unless he has made great strides at club level since last year.
Meyler was flying this year in the league games, looking very strong and fast running with the ball in hand. He looked to be ahead of McShane and Bradley before he got injured. I would expect them three plus Rory Brennan to be the main lads to become regulars from that u21 team. McGeary & Lee Brennan you would imagine will be next in line although young Kavanagh looked good from that team too as Norf said.
I'll be shocked if Mickey makes a space for Hampsey this year unless someone is out injured. He is very loyal to McCrory, McNamee and McCarron but I believe Hampsey played very well in the Tyrone championship.

Richie Donnelly is the player I was most disappointed with last year although I'm being quite hard on him as he and his brother have set the bar high. He shows glimpses of some amazing catches, point scoring and pieces of skill but he seems to fade out of matches a lot. He's 24 now I think so should be one of our better players rather than being in and out of the team but again maybe our system of play isn't bringing out the best in him.

I'm looking forward to the league and hopefully Mickey will try out a few of these lads and play a bit more attack minded but I doubt it. I think most of us were disappointed how we approached the Mayo game and despite the good wins over Derry and Cavan we didn't show so much of our pace from changing from defence into attack in the Donegal and Mayo games.

redhandofgod

Id have Burns ahead of McShane (Shoot from anywhere) every day of the week. Could even push Burns into Mid-field role similar to the one he had with the U21's and push Matty Donnelly further forward.

Gonzalo15

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 26, 2016, 11:15:15 AM
I'd say Burns is well down the list of new faces who we will see next year unless he has made great strides at club level since last year.
Meyler was flying this year in the league games, looking very strong and fast running with the ball in hand. He looked to be ahead of McShane and Bradley before he got injured. I would expect them three plus Rory Brennan to be the main lads to become regulars from that u21 team. McGeary & Lee Brennan you would imagine will be next in line although young Kavanagh looked good from that team too as Norf said.
I'll be shocked if Mickey makes a space for Hampsey this year unless someone is out injured. He is very loyal to McCrory, McNamee and McCarron but I believe Hampsey played very well in the Tyrone championship.

Richie Donnelly is the player I was most disappointed with last year although I'm being quite hard on him as he and his brother have set the bar high. He shows glimpses of some amazing catches, point scoring and pieces of skill but he seems to fade out of matches a lot. He's 24 now I think so should be one of our better players rather than being in and out of the team but again maybe our system of play isn't bringing out the best in him.

I'm looking forward to the league and hopefully Mickey will try out a few of these lads and play a bit more attack minded but I doubt it. I think most of us were disappointed how we approached the Mayo game and despite the good wins over Derry and Cavan we didn't show so much of our pace from changing from defence into attack in the Donegal and Mayo games.

Was Richie Donnelly not one of our best players thoughout the league last year until he got injured? Didn't really make it back in after that tbf

sambostar

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on October 26, 2016, 12:35:29 PM

Was Richie Donnelly not one of our best players thoughout the league last year until he got injured? Didn't really make it back in after that tbf
Yes, Richie was really good during the league but then got injured after the Derry championship game & never really recovered fully. I'd have him in ahead of McShane - especially for his ability from long-range, remember he kicked 4 beauties from play against Derry in the league

redhandefender

You obviously don't see much club football. Burns will be well up the list this year. fantastic player. Meyler has had torrid time with injuries. Richie Donnelly exceeded expectations last year which was a welcome surprise. You can hardly be disappointed with a fella for getting injured

tiempo

Quote from: redhandefender on October 26, 2016, 01:38:30 PM

You obviously don't see much club football. Burns will be well up the list this year. fantastic player. Meyler has had torrid time with injuries. Richie Donnelly exceeded expectations last year which was a welcome surprise. You can hardly be disappointed with a fella for getting injured

The lesser spotted Meyler seen here a week ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPeUAhOsDKA

Fuzzman

I see zero club football any more as I live in Dublin so only going on league and championship matches.

I forgot Richie had an injury as well so that could explain it alright but I just thought he was a big strong lad and we would have seen more driving forward from him. Hopefully next year he can kick on.

That's great to hear people rate Burns that highly and expect him to push hard for a place next year but you gotta wonder who's place this lads are gonna take?

redhandefender

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 26, 2016, 02:42:25 PM
I see zero club football any more as I live in Dublin so only going on league and championship matches.

I forgot Richie had an injury as well so that could explain it alright but I just thought he was a big strong lad and we would have seen more driving forward from him. Hopefully next year he can kick on.

That's great to hear people rate Burns that highly and expect him to push hard for a place next year but you gotta wonder who's place this lads are gonna take?

He gets better every time I see and has ran the show in every championship game for pomeroy. If he was a bit taller would have him at midfield but for a bit of a leftfield one which I doubt mickey would try I would stick him in full forward. He stood out more than both mc gearys for pomeroy. Beast of a cub. McShane, who I rate highly place is very much in the balance with so much competition. Mc Curry, mc caliskey and o'neill have all had plenty of shots now and yet known are guaranteed. Says it all