Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: Helpline on September 26, 2016, 01:15:04 PM
Let sparky play corner for Tyrone and play him the ball,,scores will surely come....simple me thinks!

But whose going to defend you mad man????

Helpline

Quote from: WT4E on September 26, 2016, 01:37:42 PM
Let sparky play corner for Tyrone and play him the ball,,scores will surely come....simple me thinks!

Defenders.
The first half was even, the second half was even worse

WT4E

Quote from: Helpline on September 26, 2016, 04:04:44 PM
Quote from: WT4E on September 26, 2016, 01:37:42 PM

Defenders.

I agree my comment was tongue in cheek!

Fuzzman

Great performance again by Mayo yesterday and showed us how we maybe underestimate them in Tyrone a bit each time we play them.

Yes they fail to get over the line again but I think they were very good defensively against top forwards and held most of them very well as they defended well against us too.
Again Rock and C.O'Connor were the important score getters mainly from frees and couldn't help but think how we would have faired in that dept had we have been there.

The RTE panel named Mattie in their team of the year. I thought Petey might get named in the half forward line.
Do people think we've got better forwards than Mayo? Would we have scored more from play yesterday?

The Trap

I hope the one thing that Tyrone would take out of watching Mayo take on the Dubs is that their forwards can be marked. The 14 man defence does not need to be maintained in 2017. Then we might see if Tyrone have the forwards to challenge or not.......

southtyronegael

i think we have potentially much better all round forwards than mayo but only if the system allows them to play. interestin to see mattie mc gleenan win his 3rd county title in 4 yrs with scotstown. surely we need to be approaching this man and get him lined up at the end of next year?

skeog

Mattie on his way to Cavan is the word on the street.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 06, 2016, 11:45:51 PM
i think we have potentially much better all round forwards than mayo but only if the system allows them to play. interestin to see mattie mc gleenan win his 3rd county title in 4 yrs with scotstown. surely we need to be approaching this man and get him lined up at the end of next year?

I'd agree with this, we have more natural scores there in the likes of O'Neill, McAliskey, Brennan, McCurry, Bradley etc but I think these guys struggle because our attack lacks a physical focal point in there. I don't think Cavanagh likes being in there and I think he has much more influence when he comes out the field - so that's why we need to look at our options for someone to be that focal point, a foil for the scorers to feed off and someone that can vary our attacking play up.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like. As much as some of the pessimists will say, we're not far off, we lost the Mayo game on tight margins and Mayo probably should have beaten Dublin, we had the beating of Kerry in our own hands the prior year but fluffed it.

In essence I would say we should line out something like this next year:

----------------------------Morgan

Hampsey-----------------McNamee---------------McCarron

--------------------------C Cavanagh-----------------------

T McCann-----------------R Brennan------------K McGeary

-------------------S Cavanagh------Mattie

McAliskey------------------Sludden----------------Harte

-----------------N McKenna-------McCurry

WBF

Sparky Bradley should be starting corner forward hands down! Has been untouchable in the club championship this year and tore apart 2 of our starting county defenders!

superstar_

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 07, 2016, 05:50:32 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on October 06, 2016, 11:45:51 PM

I'd agree with this, we have more natural scores there in the likes of O'Neill, McAliskey, Brennan, McCurry, Bradley etc but I think these guys struggle because our attack lacks a physical focal point in there. I don't think Cavanagh likes being in there and I think he has much more influence when he comes out the field - so that's why we need to look at our options for someone to be that focal point, a foil for the scorers to feed off and someone that can vary our attacking play up.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like. As much as some of the pessimists will say, we're not far off, we lost the Mayo game on tight margins and Mayo probably should have beaten Dublin, we had the beating of Kerry in our own hands the prior year but fluffed it.

In essence I would say we should line out something like this next year:

----------------------------Morgan

Hampsey-----------------McNamee---------------McCarron

--------------------------C Cavanagh-----------------------

T McCann-----------------R Brennan------------K McGeary

-------------------S Cavanagh------Mattie

McAliskey------------------Sludden----------------Harte

-----------------N McKenna-------McCurry
My preferred team would be:
1. Niall Morgan
2. Paudie Hampsey
3. Ronan McNammee
4. Cathal McCarron
5. Rory Brennan
6. Ronan McNabb
7. Tiernan McCann
8. Colm Cavanagh (Sweeper role)
9. Mattie Donnelly
10. Niall Sludden
11. Peter Harte
12. Frank Burns
13. Lee Brennan
14. Dan McNulty
15. Mark Bradley

Sub Options:
Sean Cavanagh, Conor Meyler, Conor McAliskey, Darren McCurry, Richard Donnelly, HP McGeary, Kieran McGeary, Johnny Munroe, Cathal McShane, Justin McMahon.
Players i'd like to be brought into panel:
Danny Gorman, Dan McNulty, Ruairi Sludden, Michael McKernan, Shea Hamill.

Scoring Zone

We can debate starting 15's til the cows come home but can't see any major changes next year bar 1 or2 forward positions dictated on weather cavanagh gives it another year

mayo highlighted we need a forward that can score 3-4 points from play against quality sides, and S Cavanagh is the only man consistently can do it and at a push McCurry, this is where the difference is between the top 2-3 teams.

also another point is in 2013 and 2015 in the two semi-finals Tyrone marched into them matched on the back of a very big siege mentality - 2013 the uproar over the cavanagh tackle against monaghan in the quarters and the penrose and gormley yellow and red cards and 2015 - the rte bias and the tiernan mccann bitchfest and they couldn't get over it even with the biggest chips on their shoulder, and compare to this year, although only beaten by a point by a mayo team with no forwards, the performance was very flat after the hype machine of the ulster final and two wonder scores to win it in injury time.

Realistically in the next 1-2 years (given harte is manager) they need to push to an all-ireland final and win ulster again but this will the most I think we will get out of this team unless a top consistent forward comes to the fore

In hiding

Quote from: Scoring Zone on October 07, 2016, 08:41:33 PM
We can debate starting 15's til the cows come home but can't see any major changes next year bar 1 or2 forward positions dictated on weather cavanagh gives it another year

mayo highlighted we need a forward that can score 3-4 points from play against quality sides, and S Cavanagh is the only man consistently can do it and at a push McCurry, this is where the difference is between the top 2-3 teams.

also another point is in 2013 and 2015 in the two semi-finals Tyrone marched into them matched on the back of a very big siege mentality - 2013 the uproar over the cavanagh tackle against monaghan in the quarters and the penrose and gormley yellow and red cards and 2015 - the rte bias and the tiernan mccann bitchfest and they couldn't get over it even with the biggest chips on their shoulder, and compare to this year, although only beaten by a point by a mayo team with no forwards, the performance was very flat after the hype machine of the ulster final and two wonder scores to win it in injury time.

Realistically in the next 1-2 years (given harte is manager) they need to push to an all-ireland final and win ulster again but this will the most I think we will get out of this team unless a top consistent forward comes to the fore
A top consistent forward !!! Seriously ?
As mentioned before a top forward is useless given the system tyrone play. This top forward will be marked by two or possibly three defenders, then has to win his own ball (usually in the corner) where all he can do is recycle the ball back out for someone else to shoot. We can argue all we want the pros and cons of the way gavin devlin makes tyrone play, but don't be silly enough to believe that a good forward would make a difference

southtyronegael

Quote from: skeog on October 07, 2016, 11:56:43 AM
would be a real shame if we let him away. he is deffo the man we are crying out for to take us forward. i love his tactics with scotstown, no sweepers, kick the ball, go man to man in an offensive minded gameplan. mattie is just the type of culture change we need in tyrone.

In hiding

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 07, 2016, 10:59:14 PM
would be a real shame if we let him away. he is deffo the man we are crying out for to take us forward. i love his tactics with scotstown, no sweepers, kick the ball, go man to man in an offensive minded gameplan. mattie is just the type of culture change we need in tyrone.
Mattie would you wise up 😂😂😂

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: In hiding on October 07, 2016, 11:03:56 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on October 07, 2016, 10:59:14 PM
Mattie would you wise up 😂😂😂

If you couldn't win a championship with That Scotstown team you would be safer giving it up