Garda killed in Donegal

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, December 15, 2009, 02:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Shocking story, and even worse if rumours that the driver of the other car intentionally rammed the Garda car!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1214/donegal.html

Witnesses sought after garda dies in crash
  Monday, 14 December 2009 22:10
The Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner have expressed their sadness at the death of a garda from injuries he sustained in a collision in Co Donegal yesterday.

24-year-old Garda Gary McLoughlin died in hospital early this morning following a collision at Lisfannon in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Two garda detectives saw a car drive off at high speed at a filling station near Buncrana in northeast Donegal at around 1.30am.

He pulled his patrol car onto the side of the road, beside a ditch to avoid an Opel Astra coming at him at speed.

The Astra went out of control and crashed into the driver's side, where Garda McLoughlin was sitting.

Garda McLoughlin's colleague and the driver of the other car are in a stable condition.

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern expressed his sincere condolences to the garda's family and colleagues.

In a statement, Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy said that his thoughts and prayers - and those of the entire force - were with Garda McLoughlin's family.

An investigative team from the Garda Ombudsman Commission was at the scene all day yesterday.

The Commission said it is satisfied on the basis of the available evidence that it does not need to lead the investigation, so An Garda Síochána will head the inquiry.

The Garda Ombudsman Commission is appealing for witnesses.

They are looking for anyone who was travelling on the Letterkenny to Derry road between 1am and 2am yesterday morning.

In particular they are interested in a red Opel Astra with the Northern Irish registration AHZ 5912 and a navy blue Ford Mondeo Sedan registration 07 D 8652.

Anyone with information can contact the witness appeal line on 1890-600800.
Tbc....

The Real Laoislad

Also been reported that the guy was banned from driving for 10 years only recently
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

That's awful Gaoth Dobhair Abu, especially if it was intentional. Another sad story after the Garda from Swinford who was killed up in County Donegal last year. While bad everywhere there seems to be a particularly bad boy racer culture up there, esp. around Inishowen. The regs seem to be NI & Dublin, but that doesn't really mean anything.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Think that the regs being looked for were more to do with witnesses.
Buncrana area has a terrible record for car accidents and deaths, with speed only being one of many causes!
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Gaoth Dobhair Abu do you reckon that most of the trouble are local Donegal lads or from across the border?

Doogie Browser

I live about 10/15 miles from this spot and I have to say there are an awful lot of joyriders in this area.  Not so much stolen cars but young lads buying run arounds and horsing the shit out of them.  If you are ever on the dual carriageway into Letterkenny or indeed leaving Letterkenny you can see the doughnut marks these cnuts leave late at night.  They are literally spinning the cars across a dual carriageway most weekend nights.  The problem is they end up killing or maiming someone else and unfortunately not themselves.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 15, 2009, 03:16:09 PM
Gaoth Dobhair Abu do you reckon that most of the trouble are local Donegal lads or from across the border?

Hard to say, would have though it would be a mixture of both, certainly local lads are not blameless.
Tbc....

haranguerer

you're a p***k

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: haranguerer on December 15, 2009, 05:34:07 PM

you're a p***k

Quite possibly, very likely perhaps. However I fail to see what was wrong with what I asked Gaoth Dobhair Abu. I hope that was a personal insult rather than a reaction to that particular post, because if that wasn't purely personal, I fail to see what was wrong with my enquiry!

Goldengreen

Reading between the lines a bit here, but what I think the case was in regards the Regs. The D get would have been the guards and the NI reg the guy they were after. As it is the Garda Ombudsman Commission that is looking for witnesses.

From all reports the Garda car that was rammed had pulled way into the hard shoulder and was even a bit off the road, so have suggested the he went out of control when he seen the Marker Garda car at the side of the road, maybe he thought they had set up a stinger, but whit it being a frosty night he lost control of the car and ended up hitting the Marker Garda car. The driver of the car was from Donegal but driving a NI reg and yea he was banned recently.

Garda Gary McLoughlin had just set up home with his Girlfriend too, May he rest in peace.

Rossfan

R I P and my condolences to his family.
I hope the sc**bag that did this gets what he deserves some day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magickingdom

horrific, that guy should never get out of jail if he gets out of hospital

Doogie Browser

The man due to be questioned about the crash which claimed the life of one garda and badly injured another had been banned from driving for 15 years and should have been in prison.

Martin McDermott of Raphoe had 79 previous convictions and is expected to be questioned by gardai on his release from hospital

Garda Gary McLoughlin who was killed when his patrol car was stuck by another vehicle close to burt in the early hours of Sunday morning will be laid to rest in his native Leitrim later.

Tubberman

QuoteInsert Quote
The man due to be questioned about the crash which claimed the life of one garda and badly injured another had been banned from driving for 15 years and should have been in prison.

Martin McDermott of Raphoe had 79 previous convictions and is expected to be questioned by gardai on his release from hospital

Garda Gary McLoughlin who was killed when his patrol car was stuck by another vehicle close to burt in the early hours of Sunday morning will be laid to rest in his native Leitrim later.

Fcking pr*ck - should have been locked up long ago if he had 79 previous convictions! Revolving door justice system shown up again for the disgrace that it is.  >:(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tubberman on December 16, 2009, 01:27:33 PM
QuoteInsert Quote

Fcking pr*ck - should have been locked up long ago if he had 79 previous convictions! Revolving door justice system shown up again for the disgrace that it is.  >:(

Car crime both north and south is treated shockingly lightly.
Tbc....