Prince Philip at it again!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, November 04, 2009, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Doogie Browser

Its always good to read his back catalogue of gaffes each time a new one comes up  :D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

prince phillip gaffes
also known as the 'consort's clangers'

(1967 - When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union) "The *******s murdered half my family.."

(1981 - A comment during the UK's recession) "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed.."

(1982 - To Solomon Islanders, on being told that their population growth was 5% a year) "You must be out of your minds.."

(1984 - On receiving a gift from a Kenyan native woman) "You are a woman aren't you?.."

(1986 - To a group of British students in China) "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed.."

(To a Cayman Islander) "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?.."

(c. 1990 - To a British ex-pat in Hungary) "You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot-belly yet.."

(1995 - To a Scottish driving instructor in Oban) "How do you keep the natives off the booze for long enough to pass their test?.."

(1998 - To a student who'd trekked in Papua New Guinea) "You managed not to get eaten then?.."

(1999 - On seeing a fuse box while being shown around an Edinburgh factory) "It looks as though it was put in by an Indian.."

(2002 - To a school band in Cairns, Australia) "You were playing your instruments weren't you?, or do you have tape recorders under your seats?.."

(2002 - To an Aboriginal man on Australia's Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park) "Do you still throw spears at each other..?

(2002 - Commenting during the Jubilee tour) "If you travel as much as we do you appreciate how much more comfortable aircraft have become. Unless you travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.."

(2002 - Commenting on the London traffic debate, after mayor Ken Livingstone forced through his plan to charge motorists £5 to enter the city) "The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.."

(Summer 2002 - Aboard the floating restaurant 'Il Punto' on the river Orwell in Ipswich, after thoroughly enjoying an excellent full English breakfast) "French cooking's all very well, but they can't do a decent English breakfast.." (Il Punto is owned by Frenchman Regis Crepy..)

Tbc....

BennyHarp

I think Philip is the greatest of all the Royals (hardly a big claim to fame!) and should be applauded for highlighting the absurdity of the fact that the English actually rever these people!!
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 04, 2009, 12:51:51 PM
I think Philip is the greatest of all the Royals (hardly a big claim to fame!) and should be applauded for highlighting the absurdity of the fact that the English actually rever these people!!

Actually I think the greatest Royal is Harold Hewitt.
Testing Accessibility

stew

There is no great royal people.

Phillip is an ignoramous and a hateful one at that. he is possibly the worst of them and that takes some doing over lizzy.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: stew on November 04, 2009, 03:57:28 PM
There is no great royal people.

Phillip is an ignoramous and a hateful one at that. he is possibly the worst of them and that takes some doing over lizzy.

She probably writes the script & then stands back & watches him let rip. Bit much of him complaining about tourists, since he's a feckin bubble himself.

Bogball XV

Why would anyone be remotely offended by what he said (in this instance)?  I thought maybe this thread would be highlighting the utter ludicracy of people making an issue of this.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 05, 2009, 11:37:07 PM
Why would anyone be remotely offended by what he said (in this instance)?  I thought maybe this thread would be highlighting the utter ludicracy of people making an issue of this.

Lighten up, we're having a laugh at his expense. Think Derry and Gregory.  ::)
Tbc....

Aerlik

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 04, 2009, 11:58:23 AM
(1967 - When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union) "The *******s murdered half my family.."

To which I would retort: You bastards have murdered half my country.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Aerlik on November 06, 2009, 04:56:25 AM

To which I would retort: You b**tards have murdered half my country.

If Joe Stalin had been in charge at the time, he'd have taken the lot of them out.

Aerlik

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 06, 2009, 08:44:27 AM

If Joe Stalin had been in charge at the time, he'd have taken the lot of them out.

Ah yes, Stalin...another of Her Majesty's esteemed allies.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Aerlik on November 06, 2009, 04:32:42 PM

Bit of the Basil Fawltys - I think I mentioned the Romanovs, but I got away with it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Aerlik on November 06, 2009, 04:32:42 PM

He was dead before she was Queen.

ziggysego

Royal Gaffe: 'Does One Work In A Strip Club?'
10:54am UK, Friday March 12, 2010
Huw Borland, Sky News Online

The Duke of Edinburgh asked a sea cadet if she worked at a strip club, according to reports.

Prince Philip had joined the Queen on a visit to Wyvern Barracks in Exeter on Thursday when he asked Elizabeth Rendle what she did for a living.

The 24-year-old, a member of the Barnstaple Sea Cadets, told him she worked in a nightclub.

Philip, 88, then asked if it was a strip club, before joking that it was "probably too cold for that anyway", she told The Sun.

Miss Rendle added: "We were all laughing and I didn't take any offence. I think he was just putting people at their ease."

The Queen talking to Rifle cadets during her visit to Wyvern barracks

The incident was the latest in a long line of Royal gaffes by the Duke.

He once told Paraguayan dictator General Stroessner: "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

He also dashed a 13-year-old boy's ambitions when he told him: "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

And he once told a group from the British Deaf Association who were standing near a band: "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf."

In 2002, Philip asked an indigenous Australian: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

The same year he asked a driving instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

Back in 1986, he commented to a group of British students in China: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed."

Sourced Sky.com
Testing Accessibility