Iar Mhí v Dún na nGall

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 24, 2009, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Cusack PK 2.30pm Iar Mhí v Dún na nGall
Referee: Aidan Mangan (Ciarraí)

Well was last weekend a flash in the pan on the way to divison 2 or can the men from the hills actually win this weekend and go along way to securing their divison 1 status for another year?
Tbc....

RMDrive

With all due respect to WM, we have to take 2 points from this weekend. Then lets hope that Mayo or Tyrone do the decent thing and slip up in their last two games. That way I can delay for another while before I accept the fact that we are terrible this year.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

RM have you heard any news about the squad and the injuries?
Are they gonna manage to get 15 fit players out?
Is it two go down from Div 1 this year?
Tbc....

RMDrive

Afraid not GDA. I'm living in Mayo so TBH I depend on the web and the auld fella for the word on the ground. What have you heard? Is Bonner a gonner?

2 go down all right. I'd expect us to win at the weekend and then lose to Derry leaving us on 5 points.
I reckon Dublin will beat WM and then lose to Kerry leaving them on 5 points also. Dublin are only 1 point better of than us in scoring difference at the moment so it will be interesting to see if we can put a few points on the board as that could end up being crucial.
Will Mayo beat Galway and will Tyrone beat Derry? Ideally neither would and as long as there was a winner in their game (Mayo v Tyrone) that would leave the loser going down with WM.

All we can aim for is to try to beat WM and rack up as much scores as possible in both games. It'll be an interesting few weeks.

Croí na hÉireann

McDaniel in for Westmeath
26 March 2009

Thomas McDaniel returns to the Westmeath starting XV for Sunday's NFL encounter with Donegal at Mullingar.

The Ballinagore teenager replaces Paul Bannon in the only change from the side that lost to Kerry last weekend. There is one positional change which sees Francis Boyle and Alan Claffey swap places in defence. Kieran Gavin, meanwhile, has recovered from injury to take his place at full back. The team is once again notable for the absence of several regulars, including Martin Flanagan, Dessie Dolan, Donal O'Donoghue and Fergal Wilson.

Westmeath (SF v Donegal): G Connaughton; F Boyle, K Gavin, J Keane; A Claffey, D Heavin, D Harte; N Kilcoyne, D Duffy; M Ennis, J Smyth, C Reidy; T McDaniel, D Glennon, C Lynam.

Still relying on the young lads. Have to win last two games to have a chance of staying up. Wouldn't be as near a mission impossible if it wasn't for that last minute goal against Tyrone. What's working in our favour is the fact that absolutely everyone has been writing off our chances this weekend, I hope the lads read the papers. If we could win this, get a few lads back for the next game and give the Dubs a right go it could set up the summer. Would be surprised to see Boyle & Claffey stay where they are & McDaniel has to start getting back on the scoresheet. What was wrong with Kieran Gavin does anyone know? Could explain his poor performance in the U21s...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Westmeath v Donegal (Sun) 

Donegal have made one change in personnel for Sunday's crucial Allianz NFL Division 1 game against Westmeath at Mullingar (1430 BST).

Stephen Griffin drops out of the forward line with Ryan Bradley coming into the side.

Donegal go into the game on three points while Westmeath are odds-on for the drop after losing their five games.

However, Westmeath were narrowly defeated by Tyrone at Cusack Park so it is unlikely to be easy for Donegal.

Mathematically, Westmeath could still avoid relegation if they win their final two games although they would need other results to go their way.

Even if Westmeath defeat Donegal on Sunday, they will definitely be relegated if Dublin overcome Kerry.

By the same token, Donegal will still be in the relegation mix going into their final game against Derry on 12 April, even if they win on Sunday.

Donegal claimed an encouraging win over Tyrone last weekend, even though the Red Hands appeared to be going through the motions for most of the contest.

Griffin scored five points in the win over the Red Hands but he appeared to have paid the price for a couple of missed frees which almost let Mickey Harte's side back into the game at Ballybofey.

Westmeath make one change from last weekend's defeat in Kerry with Thomas McDaniel replacing Paul Bannon in the full-forward line.

Kieran Gavin is passed fit to start at full-back after being an injury-doubt earlier in the week.

Martin Flanagan, Dessie Dolan, Donal O'Donoghue and Fergal Wilson all remain out for Westmeath.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Westmeath : G Connaughton, F Boyle, K Gavin, J Keane, A Claffey, D Heavin, D Harte, N Kilcoyne, D Duffy, M Ennis, J Smyth, C Reidy, T McDaniel, D Glennon, C Lynam.

Donegal : P Durcan; J Gallagher, N McGee, P McDaid; C Byrne, B Monaghan, M Maguire; B Boyle, C Toye; David Walsh, Conal Dunne, R Kavanagh; B Roper, R Bradley, M Doherty.

Tbc....

AN other

If we can reproduce our second half performance against Tyrone and the first half performance against Kerry we would get a result from this. Hopeful enough really with the U21's fresh this week. Desperately need some sort of a result.