China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Anyone hear about the factory in Gwedore RAP. They had stopped manufacturing packaging for the food industry and have come up with a very impressive looking face mask. I got my hands on a few, very impressive design and wait for it they can make 10 million a week.
Well done to the brains behind this.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2020, 09:57:13 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 26, 2020, 09:51:39 AM
This is a really interesting article: https://quillette.com/2020/04/23/covid-19-superspreader-events-in-28-countries-critical-patterns-and-lessons/

The start of it is quite technical, but it's worth bearing with.  In essence the author suggests that the vast majority of super spreading incidents happened through face to face "droplet sharing", ie shouting or signing in close proximity to people.
I think it's a really interesting take and it should be studied more, as if true, it would offer a really clear path to us emerging out of lockdown.  There would be no need to worry about traveling on public transport (as people generally don't talk on it), shopping would be OK, and most forms of work would be OK.

Have a read of it.

So wearing a mask would prevent spreading?

Looks like it - but not enough data to confirm its large or small droplets (the latter necessitating a proper mask rather than scarf etc).

Here's the real article its based on:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

edit: Need to clarify this - a mask would as you say, prevent a carrier spreading it, but it won't prevent someone picking it up from airborne droplets (suspended or not) - for instance a suspended droplet lands on your finger unnoticed and you rub your eye a minute later.
i usse an speelchekor

shantygael

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 26, 2020, 09:48:34 AM
Main Street and Mikhail still in bed id guess. Nursing one..
They are in the queue  at Asda in strabane
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

marty34

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 26, 2020, 01:27:05 AM
The castle catholics of the north will never let go of the UK, even if it kills them. This crisis has shown that.

All about the money for the majority of them, the posters on here never tire of reminding us, sad but true  :(

True - too many garden centre 'nationalists' on the green side.

A lot of Gaa people have no time for culture or the Irish language - just a hobby.  People write the word 'northern ireland' in newspapers and in interviews etc - disgraceful.

Haven't read the Irish News in a while but it was all 'northern ireland' this and 'northern ireland' that: oh, how the policy of colonization has worked.

A state apart....ehhh.

imtommygunn

Yeah radiogaagaa mask stops you spreading it. I do wonder will that come in. Mandatory in Czech Republic and probably quite a few other countries.

Some stats ... 16 in nightingale city hospital(scoped for 230). 90 in Ulster due to virus with 4 on ventilators.

Definitely hasn't hit as bad as expected or planned for although worst case was planned for however as most of us understand that would be due to lockdown... next steps will be very interesting.

There has to be some kind of "new normal". Any attempt to go back to previous normal and massive surge. As people would say the lockdown is probably more to protect the nhs  or health service from being overrun than anything else.

Milltown Row2

I just want back to work safely and for my clients. If it takes another 3 months and full PPE and other measures then so be it.

This being off lark (while I enjoy the time of with family) is not good for the overall economy so while continuing to search for vaccines, ramp up the testing and start the contact tracing, look into ways of getting things right for a phased opening up of our businesses and schools, though the schools one is going to be very difficult to keep social distancing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Nurseries will be impossible.

HiMucker

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 26, 2020, 09:51:39 AM
This is a really interesting article: https://quillette.com/2020/04/23/covid-19-superspreader-events-in-28-countries-critical-patterns-and-lessons/

The start of it is quite technical, but it's worth bearing with.  In essence the author suggests that the vast majority of super spreading incidents happened through face to face "droplet sharing", ie shouting or signing in close proximity to people.
I think it's a really interesting take and it should be studied more, as if true, it would offer a really clear path to us emerging out of lockdown.  There would be no need to worry about traveling on public transport (as people generally don't talk on it), shopping would be OK, and most forms of work would be OK.

Have a read of it.
Read that earlier. Really interesting article. Long but as you say well worth reading.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rudi on April 26, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
Anyone hear about the factory in Gwedore RAP. They had stopped manufacturing packaging for the food industry and have come up with a very impressive looking face mask. I got my hands on a few, very impressive design and wait for it they can make 10 million a week.

Well done indeed. Saw it on the News the other night.
Disappointed that none of our 6 Co posters have commented on this.
They seem to be gone 100% partitionist these days ::)
Must be all garden centre Nationalists.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 26, 2020, 01:14:59 PM
Quote from: Rudi on April 26, 2020, 11:21:04 AM

Well done indeed. Saw it on the News the other night.
Disappointed that none of our 6 Co posters have commented on this.
They seem to be gone 100% partitionist these days ::)
Must be all garden centre Nationalists.

Sure you free staters have it all under control, ever since you started social distancing from the north when you turned your back on your fellow citizens.  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Main Street on April 26, 2020, 12:55:31 AM
Nordies still sucking hard on the subvention tit, don't want a united Ireland tomorrow, yet don't want to be a part of Brexit UK and their dreadful UK Corona virus stats. And now they can ride roughshod at will across the border and create mayhem without fear of retribution from the Gardai, albeit an invisible border, a border that made unseen so they wouldn't start blowing things up again.
Again, you are from Monaghan ;D

Itchy

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2020, 12:08:48 PM
Yeah radiogaagaa mask stops you spreading it. I do wonder will that come in. Mandatory in Czech Republic and probably quite a few other countries.

Some stats ... 16 in nightingale city hospital(scoped for 230). 90 in Ulster due to virus with 4 on ventilators.

Definitely hasn't hit as bad as expected or planned for although worst case was planned for however as most of us understand that would be due to lockdown... next steps will be very interesting.

There has to be some kind of "new normal". Any attempt to go back to previous normal and massive surge. As people would say the lockdown is probably more to protect the nhs  or health service from being overrun than anything else.

I don't know that it is proven that masks stop you spreading anything.

However, what our experts are telling us is that the mask gives people a false sense of security and gets people complacent and they stop to drop our biggest defence, social distancing, becuase the think the magic mask will protect them.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2020, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2020, 12:08:48 PM

I don't know that it is proven that masks stop you spreading anything.

However, what our experts are telling us is that the mask gives people a false sense of security and gets people complacent and they stop to drop our biggest defence, social distancing, becuase the think the magic mask will protect them.

I should have said help stop you spread it but it is for the protection of others not you.

Yeah some places just not hit as bad as expected and some hospitals just not being utilised although they are specked for the worst case. Not as bad as expected due to distancing it should be added...

trailer

Lots of people meeting up this weekend. What the Garda or PSNI going to do? Arrest them all?  The game is up. Restrictions must be relaxed.