Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on October 29, 2019, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 29, 2019, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2019, 03:17:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 29, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 29, 2019, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2019, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 11:49:14 AM
How many football teams are there in Derry? There are only 8 hurling teams? I guess I never thought about it but seems very low. St Pats Maghera have had some cracking teams over the years - must be some drop off rate.

NaMagha have been going in antrim for years so fair play to them.

We could not have survived without Antrim. Last year proved to be toughest year in last 20 id say. Personal tragedy, games away from home and emigration almost put us under at senior. But we will be back again hopefully next year. Relegated to Div 4, but maybe that is what is needed, rebuild from there.

Na Magha has been a constant in the Antrim leagues now and i think it should be something of an importance to Derry GAA that hurling is kept going in the city. They should be doing all they can to support the game rather than pay lip service to it.

There was a stage in our club where football struggled and we didnt field at minor level. Camogie was on its knees for a while but is now back on a healthier footing. Hurling was at times pretty tough throughtout the years and only seen sucess after many many years of set backs.

If you stay the distance you will get there. every club has really poor periods and see lows that question whether its worth it but it always comes out on the other side.

Would Na Magha not play in Derry league?

We play mid season, senior would be counter productive at the minute.

It is sometimes easy to criticise Antrim GAA but when it comes to hurling Antrim deserve an awful lot of credit for supporting hurling in other counties in Ulster as IMO a lot of other CB's are AWOL and the Ulster Council don't seem to have any joined up thinking when it comes to developing hurling in weak areas.

You'll get an invite to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt for January or February and then nada for most of the rest of the year.

Down have the three Ards clubs and now Bredagh and Carryduff in the Antrim leagues as like us they know there isn't enough fixtures of sufficient quality to sustain development for hurlers in Down.

We decided to put a minor team in Antrim this year and whilst it was a big ask with such as small panel it was a worthwhile venture as I certainly could see improvement in some of the younger lads on that panel and that league is smattered with Derry clubs and Eoghan Rua from Tyrone in there as well.

Where would they have played if it wasn't for this league?

I presume, with Antrim being so competitive, that they don't need an Ulster league.  The Antrim league, by defsult, is the Ulster leaguw with Tyrone , Derry and Down teams in it.

A lot of Derry and Dungannon are in the Antrim U16 and minor leagues.  It must work well as I think the other counties have no leagues of their own. 

It can only improve the standard of hurling.

Derry has no minor league now, u16 nw league exists though.. We played u16 and minor in Antrim last year. U16 last 3 years actually. We combined with colersine  last year. We had 9 lads travel to Portaferry on a Friday night.. Derry city to Portaferry and back. Was worth it though. But hard to sustain.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2019, 07:55:28 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 29, 2019, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 29, 2019, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2019, 03:17:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 29, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 29, 2019, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2019, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 11:49:14 AM
How many football teams are there in Derry? There are only 8 hurling teams? I guess I never thought about it but seems very low. St Pats Maghera have had some cracking teams over the years - must be some drop off rate.

NaMagha have been going in antrim for years so fair play to them.

We could not have survived without Antrim. Last year proved to be toughest year in last 20 id say. Personal tragedy, games away from home and emigration almost put us under at senior. But we will be back again hopefully next year. Relegated to Div 4, but maybe that is what is needed, rebuild from there.

Na Magha has been a constant in the Antrim leagues now and i think it should be something of an importance to Derry GAA that hurling is kept going in the city. They should be doing all they can to support the game rather than pay lip service to it.

There was a stage in our club where football struggled and we didnt field at minor level. Camogie was on its knees for a while but is now back on a healthier footing. Hurling was at times pretty tough throughtout the years and only seen sucess after many many years of set backs.

If you stay the distance you will get there. every club has really poor periods and see lows that question whether its worth it but it always comes out on the other side.

Would Na Magha not play in Derry league?

We play mid season, senior would be counter productive at the minute.

It is sometimes easy to criticise Antrim GAA but when it comes to hurling Antrim deserve an awful lot of credit for supporting hurling in other counties in Ulster as IMO a lot of other CB's are AWOL and the Ulster Council don't seem to have any joined up thinking when it comes to developing hurling in weak areas.

You'll get an invite to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt for January or February and then nada for most of the rest of the year.

Down have the three Ards clubs and now Bredagh and Carryduff in the Antrim leagues as like us they know there isn't enough fixtures of sufficient quality to sustain development for hurlers in Down.

We decided to put a minor team in Antrim this year and whilst it was a big ask with such as small panel it was a worthwhile venture as I certainly could see improvement in some of the younger lads on that panel and that league is smattered with Derry clubs and Eoghan Rua from Tyrone in there as well.

Where would they have played if it wasn't for this league?

I presume, with Antrim being so competitive, that they don't need an Ulster league.  The Antrim league, by defsult, is the Ulster leaguw with Tyrone , Derry and Down teams in it.

A lot of Derry and Dungannon are in the Antrim U16 and minor leagues.  It must work well as I think the other counties have no leagues of their own. 

It can only improve the standard of hurling.

Derry has no minor league now, u16 nw league exists though.. We played u16 and minor in Antrim last year. U16 last 3 years actually. We combined with colersine  last year. We had 9 lads travel to Portaferry on a Friday night.. Derry city to Portaferry and back. Was worth it though. But hard to sustain.

Great committment there - fair play.

imtommygunn

Yeah great to hear that. I'm sure there are some people in the club putting in some effort to make that happen too.

ciaran1988

The week leading up to the biggest games in Ulster hurling. How do we see these games going? I can't wait for Sunday Dunloy v Slaughtneil will be a cracker. St Endas should beat Dungannon but have just been scraping through in Ulster

imtommygunn

Dunloy by 10 or slaughtneil by 1/2.

Dungannon to upset the odds and win.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 04, 2019, 08:11:27 AM

lol id take that.

I think truthfully it will be a very tight game with very little in it at the end. im confident in our ability and having good options on the bench that we could get over the line this time.

last time we played i knew we wouldnt win, they were much better than us and were a team aiming for an all ireland whereas we were just happy to have won Antrim against the odds.
hurl like f**k boi!

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 04, 2019, 08:38:08 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 04, 2019, 08:11:27 AM

lol id take that.

I think truthfully it will be a very tight game with very little in it at the end. im confident in our ability and having good options on the bench that we could get over the line this time.

last time we played i knew we wouldnt win, they were much better than us and were a team aiming for an all ireland whereas we were just happy to have won Antrim against the odds.

It should be a great battle - a bit crowd in for the double header.

Big thing for me is the shape of pitch.  Was watching Cross V Clontibret game on Saturday evening and the pitch was in poor shape.  Cut up really badly after the football double header.  Won't be conducive to good hurling but hopefully it'll improve.

Dunloy have great ability in the ff line - great movement with pace.  Slaughtneil have the physical power and will have that experience of playing in Armagh.

Should be a cracker.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i was surprised it went to Armagh as they didnt want the game. it had been rumoured that it was for Omagh as a double header with the Intermediate final before hand.

but the camogie ones had their final set for the same day so id say it made sense for the Sneill club than making their supporters go on two different days.

that being said its a joke of a set up in the camogie. the Antrim camogie final was over a month ago yet Lgiel have to wait till now to play a final. the game should of been played weeks ago as a stand along fixture rather than waiting till now.
hurl like f**k boi!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Dunloy by 3
Dungannon by 3
Eoghan Rua by 10

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 04, 2019, 09:45:36 AM
i was surprised it went to Armagh as they didnt want the game. it had been rumoured that it was for Omagh as a double header with the Intermediate final before hand.

but the camogie ones had their final set for the same day so id say it made sense for the Sneill club than making their supporters go on two different days.

that being said its a joke of a set up in the camogie. the Antrim camogie final was over a month ago yet Lgiel have to wait till now to play a final. the game should of been played weeks ago as a stand along fixture rather than waiting till now.

I agree re: camogie.  Too long to wait as the weather and pitches get worse.  I understand that they'd want to play before a good crowd also but as you say, a stand alone fixture a few weeks ago would gather a good crowd.

My take is Dunloy won Antrim 'too early' a few years ago if you understand - very young team but won it unexpectedly in my opinion.  This year, they are ready - the young lads are physically stronger and more experienced.  Shorty is still a star around the middle.

I'm sticking my head out....and going for a draw....then extra-time. Could be penalties!!

imtommygunn

Hurling wise I think Dunloy are a good bit more capable but in terms of physicality etc, especially at this time of year, that is the big question for them. They look much bigger so hopefully they will have adapted that part of their game too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on November 04, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

I agree re: camogie.  Too long to wait as the weather and pitches get worse.  I understand that they'd want to play before a good crowd also but as you say, a stand alone fixture a few weeks ago would gather a good crowd.

My take is Dunloy won Antrim 'too early' a few years ago if you understand - very young team but won it unexpectedly in my opinion.  This year, they are ready - the young lads are physically stronger and more experienced.  Shorty is still a star around the middle.

I'm sticking my head out....and going for a draw....then extra-time. Could be penalties!!

Final goes to replay.... The game will be a lot tighter for both teams thats for sure.. The camogie game should also be a goodin, have seen Sneil and they are pretty decent team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2019, 01:17:31 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 04, 2019, 11:50:47 AM

Final goes to replay.... The game will be a lot tighter for both teams thats for sure.. The camogie game should also be a goodin, have seen Sneil and they are pretty decent team

going for 4 AI's in row
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Na Glinntí Glasa

Seen sneil camogs this year a few times. they are not the team they were last year.

they had a lot of girls take time out ,which you can understand, and they werent hitting the heights of last year so woody was back on board and they have the likes of Louise Dougan back again playing.

seen their semi final v Swatragh and they didn't impress me at all. Louise dougan was her usual outstanding self but the rest of them seemed to struggle with Swatragh.

Loughgiel will see them for the taking but both sides are missing good players through travelling and life. will be a good game
hurl like f**k boi!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 04, 2019, 02:28:21 PM
Seen sneil camogs this year a few times. they are not the team they were last year.

they had a lot of girls take time out ,which you can understand, and they werent hitting the heights of last year so woody was back on board and they have the likes of Louise Dougan back again playing.

seen their semi final v Swatragh and they didn't impress me at all. Louise dougan was her usual outstanding self but the rest of them seemed to struggle with Swatragh.

Loughgiel will see them for the taking but both sides are missing good players through travelling and life. will be a good game

Always think it is very difficult for women to keep at it past minor, which is real pity