Cookstown Incident

Started by oakleaflad, March 18, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2019, 04:30:24 PM
Also is it just me being paranoid or on occasions like this do people use social media to hype up how amazing their family are.

Since Cookstown I've seen numerous family photographs with hold them tight etc etc....as if somehow glorifying their circumstances.

Maybe its just me!

Don't bother with facebook for reasons close enough to this. Such a false social media tool - Good for keeping in touch if you live abroad, that's about it.

toby47

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2019, 04:30:24 PM
Also is it just me being paranoid or on occasions like this do people use social media to hype up how amazing their family are.

Since Cookstown I've seen numerous family photographs with hold them tight etc etc....as if somehow glorifying their circumstances.

Maybe its just me!

Agree with you 100%, social media coming down with this type of nonsense this past week or so.

BennyCake

Don't use FB but I've seen others posts on occasions such as Mother's Day, Christmas, birthdays etc. Posts like "happy birthday to the greatest mum in the world. You mean so much, etc etc". And it's maybe been posted while their ma is in the next room. Can you not just pop your head around the door and tell her face to face? Ffs

Public display of affection, I think they call it. Load of balls.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyCake on March 26, 2019, 05:40:26 PM
Don't use FB but I've seen others posts on occasions such as Mother's Day, Christmas, birthdays etc. Posts like "happy birthday to the greatest mum in the world. You mean so much, etc etc". And it's maybe been posted while their ma is in the next room. Can you not just pop your head around the door and tell her face to face? Ffs

Sure doing it in person doesn't drum up any likes or shares. Why would you bother.

markl121

Quote from: BennyCake on March 26, 2019, 05:40:26 PM

Deleted it for this reason over a year ago and have t looked back. It's ridiculously false and a sad state of affairs for society as a whole. Have you ever been on a night out where everyone is on their phones and then take pictures and videos to show how good a time they're having? Then back to the phones.

JimStynes

The social media complainer group are as annoying as the 'best mum in the world' types.

general_lee

Social media benefits outweigh the negatives in my view, but stuff like this just seems to cause people to jump on the grief bandwagon and then plaster it all over their profile.

toby47

Quote from: WT4E on June 13, 2019, 01:37:40 PM
http://www.tyronecourier.co.uk/news/2019/06/13/news/greenvale-hotel-to-be-demolished-4948/

:o

The Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown - where three young people died in March - is to remain open and continue trading after plans were revealed to demolish the building.

Lauren Bullock (17), Morgan Barnard (17) and 16-year-old Connor Currie, died outside the Cookstown hotel before a St Patrick's day disco on March 18.

Police said around 600 people were in the queue at the time.

Three months on from the tragedy, the venue's owner Michael McElhatton has submitted a planning application to bulldoze the hotel.

The proposal, received by Mid Ulster District Council on Tuesday, seeks to replace the Greenvale Hotel with five new detached houses and garages.

In a statement, the Greenvale Hotel said: "The owner of the Greenvale Hotel, Mr Michael Mc Elhatton, has today confirmed an application has been made for planning permission for the redevelopment of the Greenvale Hotel site. The application was placed yesterday with the Mid Ulster Council.

"There are no immediate plans for a change of use of the premises which will continue with its current operations for the foreseeable future.

GetOverTheBar

Knocked down for houses - probably the best business decision you could make at this stage really.

tyrone girl

Fake news. Not being demolished.

trailer

Quote from: tyrone girl on June 13, 2019, 04:30:40 PM

You do know what fake news means? This is probably the direct opposite to fake news.

square_ball

Quote from: tyrone girl on June 13, 2019, 04:30:40 PM

The report says it has plans in for demolition and houses to be built. Nothing more or less so nothing fake about it. Whether it happens now or in 5 years or never at all. It's in black and white the plans have been submitted for approval.

RedHand88

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62740190

2 being charged with corporate manslaughter, including hotel oowner Micky McElhatton

quit yo jibbajabba

Mmm. None of the police tho eh....
Ah i dont know enough about it overall...