Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchie11

Jeez lads, stop pancaking about traffic. wudnt like to see u all in around the castlecourt today or tomorrow lol

there was talk at a stage that gaa would acquire ground off the boucher road & make a walkover from there to casement, crossing the motorway. not sure how true though?!

recently for the game for anto, there were shuttle buses from central station, surely something like this will be in service come match day.
u dont really expect to go to any event nowadays with some form of traffic congestion!

anyway these are merely the end of the process, i wud like to c a start happening first & foremost!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 23, 2014, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: tyronemanTrain will easily cover anyone along the Newry to Bangor axis with only a 15min walk at the end. A flyover however would be a great idea.

I'm sure there will be great crowds of people in jerseys on the platforms at Helen's Bay.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2014, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2014, 09:35:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2014, 09:24:15 PM
I was in Casement for the Ros/Antrim NFL game in 2013 and with only 600 at the game I had to park in a narrow enough residential street - 5 or 600 metres away at least - jam packed with cars.
The whole area looked pretty built up to me so where will the 38,000 get room to park?
Comparisons with English soccer are not valid as most of their crowds are local and come by public transport.

One issue with Casement was that big games were few enough and people didn't know their way around. Blacks Road does not have an exit from the south on the M1. Heading through Poleglass might be a plan, but I for one am uncertain about transiting Lisburn in a GAA jersey with flags on my car, I never hesitate to take a shortcut around Clones. 

But action needs to be taken on parking, to identify and publicise parking in schools etc and not just weeping and knashing of teeth. Translink need to provide trains, and services to the park and ride at Sprucefield or other places. In more civilised places public authorities put on public transport for events as a public service, here it seems to regarded as a personal problem. If this review leads to these things then so much the better.

So you regularly drive around Armagh with gaa flags in car? Only place I wouldn't drive through would be Twaddle Avenue lol

Not so regularly in recent years, alas, but of course flags are part of the GAA. So you are saying that there is no problem in Lisburn, only in Twaddle Avenue? Or are you implying some sort of Larne Catholic analysis that there it isn't reasonable to have a GAA flag on your car?

I didn't imply that Lisburn was unsafe to drive through with a Gaa flag on it (Twaddle is), as you are well aware St Patricks Lisburn have been 'flying the flag' for many years and continue to grow, But my point is that you'd find it difficult in some areas regardless of where you are from, Armagh included to drive around with a Gaa flag on it, quite the same if lads were driving up the Falls with an England soccer flag, or support the Poppy stickers on their car, some dicks will have a complaint about it regardless don't you think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 22, 2014, 07:22:23 PM

People seem obsessed with the traffic. How do those dozens and dozens of matches across the water happen every week without the country grinding to a halt. If people are so dumb to park their car on the m1 as implied earlier then I hope their car is taken away and crushed. Said it earlier culchies might have to learn to park a short walk away from the stadium with no stress or hassle rather than trying to park at the front gate!

I travelled down to Limerick this year at Easter for a double header in the hurling national leauge
Got there early and still sat in a very slow traffic que
Got parked then walked for half an hour to grounds
Big guarda presence directing traffic and so on
I didn't have a problem with it all, it's the norm in most county grounds on big days
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2014, 12:27:27 PM

This isn't meant to be taken seriously.  ;D

The arguments are meant to be farcical for entertainment purposes. It is like a poor attempt at Ross O'Carroll-Kelly or a faux Fox News item.

Sarcasm doesn't come over very well in print. I've been known to read rants in the Sindo without having a clue if the writer actually means it or is being serious. We live in an age when it's hard to tell satire from the real thing.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on December 22, 2014, 12:22:01 PMTHE HANDFUL OF RESIDENTS ARE HUMANS JOE...MAYBE EVEN GAA FANS TOO...YET YOU STILL CHOSE TO BE SO CONTEMPTUOUS OF THEIR BASIC RIGHTS

An unobstructed view of open countryside from the middle of the biggest built-up area in the north is not a "basic right." Go and live away out in the wilds if you don't want anything near you.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on December 22, 2014, 01:58:32 PM
Corporate hospitality has been sown up by other venues....

There won't be any demand for conference facilities? That's a bit of a bold claim.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2014, 09:35:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2014, 09:24:15 PM
I was in Casement for the Ros/Antrim NFL game in 2013 and with only 600 at the game I had to park in a narrow enough residential street - 5 or 600 metres away at least - jam packed with cars.
The whole area looked pretty built up to me so where will the 38,000 get room to park?
Comparisons with English soccer are not valid as most of their crowds are local and come by public transport.

One issue with Casement was that big games were few enough and people didn't know their way around. Blacks Road does not have an exit from the south on the M1. Heading through Poleglass might be a plan, but I for one am uncertain about transiting Lisburn in a GAA jersey with flags on my car, I never hesitate to take a shortcut around Clones. 

But action needs to be taken on parking, to identify and publicise parking in schools etc and not just weeping and knashing of teeth. Translink need to provide trains, and services to the park and ride at Sprucefield or other places. In more civilised places public authorities put on public transport for events as a public service, here it seems to regarded as a personal problem. If this review leads to these things then so much the better.

At the risk of saying "I told you so," the Ulster Council sent out an online survey about the Casement development a year or two ago. I added some comments along the lines of:

"What are you doing about parking and traffic? Are you going to do park-and-ride shuttles from nearby car parks that would otherwise be idle on a Sunday? Are you going to run shuttle buses from Great Victoria Street station? If you include that in your plan then you might find it an easier sell to the residents."

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 23, 2014, 06:20:35 PM
Sarcasm doesn't come over very well in print.

You don't say.

Quote from: Eamonnca1Go and live away out in the wilds if you don't want anything near you.

Nicer people out there too, better footballers for the most part, but the broadband is shite.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2014, 06:39:42 PM
And you have to buck your own sister.

If I was yer man Rob Kardashian I'd probably be tempted with about 4 of them!

Eamonnca1

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 23, 2014, 10:44:13 PM

Sorry my apologies must keep it local.
If I was yer man Jim corr I would be tempted with two of them and the other if I squinted a bit.
In fairness there isn't too much else to say on this topic until the GAA resubmit plans

bannside

So you think there should be some space allocated for standing only?

orangeman

Quote from: bannside on December 24, 2014, 01:00:28 AM
So you think there should be some space allocated for standing only?

The other sports that are going to use the new stadium, rugby and soccer like areas for standing in, so it probably is worth consideration.