NEW LAOIS MANAGER

Started by Unlaoised, August 03, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

How can saying this appointment is a waste of time be stupid, at worst it's a different opinion.  Peter Creedon is  a low profile appointment who will at best keep us in Division 3 at worst relegate us to Division 4.   The County Board by going this way is continually showing short-term behavior when have they stopped and asked what is going wrong with Laois Football ? They have continually kept their heads down and avoided criticism they are volunteers and maybe that is not in their remit.  But under their stewardship Laois Football is now at it's lowest point in over 30 years.  So if you think Peter Creedon is going to sort all this by being a good manager well good for him.  I just think Laois Football is in bigger trouble than just needing a new manager.  I think at this stage we are very much like Offaly which is quite amazing considering where we were over 4 years ago.  It wont be too long before people on here are dancing over a promotion to Division 3 from Division 4.   Laois need to have a strategic look at what they are doing not appointing a manager who at best is low profile to fire fight what is now a disaster.

les Antiques

Interesting  points BallyroanAbu . Who would you like to have taken over the Laois Senior Manager position ?

LaoisHeart

What ever manager comes in he just does not have the pick of players required to compete. If you think about it he has only half a county to choose from as the other half is caught up in hurling and we are to small a county for that. And in fairness to the players that do come in well they put their lives on hold to put on the jersey no matter how bad we think they are. It all leads back to the underage structure where parents coach teams just because their kid is on it. Before we coach the players we need to coach the coach. Also underage football should be non competitive up until a certain age and this would also help as the coach sees not other option but to win and forgets about developing the player.

south Laois

Jesus Ballaroan abu, you sound like you want to run him out of the county before he even starts. Give the man a chance!!!!!

BallyroanAbu

My point is the County Board has done nothing more than put new tyres on a banged out car.  Laois's major problem is money and this comes down to an issue every club in Ireland faces facilities or teams.  Simply put Laois will into the future continue to under perform because they will allocate less and less money towards the senior team.  This has the dual effect of the team not performing well and sponsors/general public allocating less and less towards the county. Centre of Excellence is all very well but it is no advantage as every other county in the country is getting one.  The running costs will I imagine come from other places namely the Senior Teams and as we are not getting more this will be a self defeating circle.   Personally for a small county like Laois the pathway should be clear take the minors or U21's do a good job then your Senior Manager.   We should be bringing our coaches along and also giving them expenses for their time.  If your are a young manager then you should understand the way in which you get the Senior Job.  In real terms Joe Higgins, Chris Conway are no longer young.  Seems to me Laois are happy to bring him 50/50 chances from outside the county but are afraid to take a chance on their own.

BallyroanAbu

He should have never been appointed is what I am saying he is merely the only one that said yes in a list of bad candidates.

Joeythelips

Quote from: LaoisHeart on September 27, 2016, 09:33:38 AM
What ever manager comes in he just does not have the pick of players required to compete. If you think about it he has only half a county to choose from as the other half is caught up in hurling and we are to small a county for that. And in fairness to the players that do come in well they put their lives on hold to put on the jersey no matter how bad we think they are. It all leads back to the underage structure where parents coach teams just because their kid is on it. Before we coach the players we need to coach the coach. Also underage football should be non competitive up until a certain age and this would also help as the coach sees not other option but to win and forgets about developing the player.

"Before we coach the players we need to coach the coach"

Well said LaoisHeart. Instead of bringing in coaches to a hall somewhere in laois to show them powerpoint presentations and the like, the county board should be sending out coaches like a Niall Tully or a Tommy Conroy to the clubs at least once a month to take a training session and help the clubs coaches, showing them drills etc. We may actually produce a decent coach or two as a result.

Peter Creedon seems like a decent coach but you could say the same about Sean Dempsey (in fact Dempsey was more successful), Creedon was Tipp minor manager, then u-21 manager then senior manager. Looking within our county there does not seem to be many potential coaches coming through. I think Derek Conroy has shown potential with the u-21s and he should be appointed selector to gain more experience from Creedon with the long term plan of having him as senior coach further down the line.

I think Creedon will do a decent job once all the players buy into it, people are putting down the appointment but we were hardly going to get Jim McGuinness so its a steady appointment. He will have the team much better prepared than Lillis who was way out of his depth and I can see us winning Division 3.

les Antiques

No local involvement on the line seemingly . Tommy Toomey who guided Tipp u21 s to the All Ireland Final last year and was selector with the Tipp Senior footballers this year has been named along with Michael O'Loughlin who was with Cork u21 s this year .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on September 27, 2016, 10:56:04 AM
No local involvement on the line seemingly . Tommy Toomey who guided Tipp u21 s to the All Ireland Final last year and was selector with the Tipp Senior footballers this year has been named along with Michael O'Loughlin who was with Cork u21 s this year .

This can't be coming cheap?

GAA-SMART

Not surprised with Tommy joining as Peter relys on him big time, only thing surprising that he is willing to leave Tipp. This is basically the management team that beat us in the Qualifiers a few years back in O Mooore park.

south Laois

Looking on the bright side, it could be possible that Liam Kearns benefited this year from Peter Creedons work.

El Jefe

Why only a one year contract? In fairness its going to be a project that's going to take longer than one year

les Antiques

Quote from: Don Draper on September 27, 2016, 11:14:29 AM
Quote from: les Antiques on September 27, 2016, 10:56:04 AM

This can't be coming cheap?

I wouldnt think so Don . I know Tipp were desperate to hang on to Toomey . It seems Creedon did not want to commit to the Laois Job without Toomey guaranteeing his involvement which contributed to the delay of the appointment.

Laoiseabu

It's going to be a tough job as in my opinion this team is not up to much. A lot of the core players such as quigley Timmons strong donoher meaney begley munelly etc are either 30 31 or over and no one capable of stepping into there boots , lack of outstanding young players OCarroll when has his head right is one that springs to mind as being good enough

steven seagal

QuoteThis can't be coming cheap?

If you look at what has happened in Laois in the last week, it must be pricey enough. Talk over the weekend was that both Cheddar and Mark Rooney saw their tenures come to an end because they were costing too much money, and Laois weren't going to continue to foot the bill. Within days, we appoint a new senior football manager who looks to be bringing three of his own selectors with him. Maybe it's all a coincidence, but it doesn't look good.