Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Do you like your neighbour? If not you could get someone to "unstraighten" the chassis! This basically writes of the car. But remember, I asked if you like your neighbour. If you do this you will increase the amount of the claim against your neighbours insurance and this will have consequences for your neighbour when they get their insurance renewal or if they try to get a new quote from another insurance company. As a matter of interest what make/model is your car and how many panels are damaged - it may already be a write off. Of course this is also fraud and you shouldn't even think about doing it.

Also, check the www.revenue.ie website and pretend you are importing your car from the UK. On the results page it will give you a book value for your car which will be very close to what the market book value for your car is. This is what the insurance company will pay you if the car is a write off. They will not pay you the value you insured the car for. The book value of cars has really plumeted in recent months so get all your figures right up front before you do anything rash!

Tony Baloney

As an accountant Rois wouldn't dream of defrauding someone out of their money ;)

As themmuns said above be careful what you wish for as obviously you'll only receive the current book value of your car, not what you insure it for.

Rois

Car isn't worth an awful lot to be honest - a body repair man on the Antrim Rd told me it needs a quarter panel - it's hit the behind the driver's seat and the drivers door as well.  He won't do it, but said it would be between £1k and £1.5k.  They don't make my car any more (MGF - I'm embarrassed to even admit it these days, and the market value is very very low, so low I don't want to say but it still looked nice with the roof down before the big bend in the side of it) so it might even be pretty hard to get a replacement panel.  If the pre accident value is low, it is really within the realms of possibility that it would be cheaper to write it off.  I would gladly take £1.5k cash and dump the car.

Do I ask a garage to take the damaged car as a trade in and go after the insurance themselves (would they bother??).  Or fix it and trade it in, or fix it and try to sell it myself?  I know the market is crap but a few people collect my type of car so someone somewhere might want it.  

The woman who did it is from the south so her insurance will be down there.  

And yes, I do like my neighbours (it was their daughter).  Don't want to be annoying them.  

Rois

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 22, 2009, 04:34:08 PM
As an accountant Rois wouldn't dream of defrauding someone out of their money ;)

Well obviously!   ;D

Tyrones own

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 22, 2009, 03:16:54 PM
Down girl hope you don't mind me ambushing you thread but was looking for a bit of help. Driving a Mondeo about 5 year old. Went to start it today and when i turn the key in the ignition there is a high pitch whirling noise but there is no attempt by the engine to turn over. The battery light is on but the radio etc are all still working grand. Would this be a battery problem or an ignition problem?

All help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds more like a starter solenoid problem or worse case a starter ring gear, the whirling noise you're hearing is the starter turning
it's just not engaging the ring gear to turn the engine.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

under the bar

QuoteDown girl hope you don't mind me ambushing you thread but was looking for a bit of help. Driving a Mondeo about 5 year old. Went to start it today and when i turn the key in the ignition there is a high pitch whirling noise but there is no attempt by the engine to turn over. The battery light is on but the radio etc are all still working grand. Would this be a battery problem or an ignition problem?

Starter ring gear probably.  Put car in 4th/5th and push it about 1-2 feet, no more then engage the engine again to see if it starts to bring you to the garage.. 

Tyrones own

Yes and if it still doesn't start after doing that it def is the starter...don't let where
ever you bring it sell you a battery, alternator, Ign switch etc...believe me some will try.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Down girl hope you don't mind me ambushing you thread but was looking for a bit of help. Driving a Mondeo about 5 year old. Went to start it today and when i turn the key in the ignition there is a high pitch whirling noise but there is no attempt by the engine to turn over. The battery light is on but the radio etc are all still working grand. Would this be a battery problem or an ignition problem?

I had a similar problem years ago with a Mondeo and it was a battery problem somehow combined with the immobilizer. New battery required.
MWWSI 2017

gawa316

Anyone know how much it should cost to replace a draft shaft in a audi a3?

Haven't a clue about cars and it seems like the mechanic has been talking in a foreign language to me about it ???

tyssam5

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 22, 2009, 05:44:23 PM

Sounds more like a starter solenoid problem or worse case a starter ring gear, the whirling noise you're hearing is the starter turning
it's just not engaging the ring gear to turn the engine.

I didn't think it would be a battery problem, but I could be wrong seeing as I don't know shit about cars. I do know when I've let my battery go flat for one stupid reason or another that it makes no noise at all, the turn of the key is met with dead silence.

supersarsfields

Cheers lads.

Actually got advise from a garage near me and they advised that it could be that the starter motor was jamming and that putting it into gear and rocking it would work. So tried that and worked a treat. So hopefully I'll get her to a garage tomorrow and get the starter motor looked at.
But thanks for the help.

downgirl

Anybody got a 04 Corolla and could tell me where the fuse box is?  :-[

Tyrones own

- Walter Lippmann

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: downgirl on January 22, 2009, 09:11:53 PM

Not sure about the Corolla but most are under the steering wheel
You'll Never Walk Alone.

downgirl

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 22, 2009, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 22, 2009, 09:11:53 PM

Not sure about the Corolla but most are under the steering wheel

All that's under the steering wheel is the lever to adust the height of it, checked all around and can't find it anywhere :(