Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Cargin are after ur man mpabee from france apparently. Hes got pace to burn and would be some addition

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 15, 2018, 09:10:41 PM
Cargin are after ur man mpabee from france apparently. Hes got pace to burn and would be some addition

Needs an end product though  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 15, 2018, 09:10:41 PM

And they thought that was to be under wraps until the deed was done..... 8)

WT4E

Here lads whats the craic - Moneyglass Ticket sellers up our way not getting good press.

Calling in a lot of places twice and being a bit pushy... Do they have a name for this?

Been ticket selling myself in the past not a nice job!!!

paddyjohn

Quote from: WT4E on July 16, 2018, 07:01:04 PM
Here lads whats the craic - Moneyglass Ticket sellers up our way not getting good press.

Calling in a lot of places twice and being a bit pushy... Do they have a name for this?

Been ticket selling myself in the past not a nice job!!!

I've had them at my door and tbh they were decent lads. No bullshit from them.

NatSoSaff

Had them at my door too, Girl and a fella & have to say they were very nice and mannerly, Only had the price of one ticket on me but they were delighted to get it. Definitely not an easy job, fair play to them, see they raised over 300K!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: NatSoSaff on July 17, 2018, 02:23:46 PM
Had them at my door too, Girl and a fella & have to say they were very nice and mannerly, Only had the price of one ticket on me but they were delighted to get it. Definitely not an easy job, fair play to them, see they raised over 300K!

Over 400k
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Na Glinntí Glasa

fair play to them. ive sold more than my fair share of tickets over the years and its not a nice job.

I see Cargins new facility has got well started now.
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

That's serious door knocking Hoof. Not many clubs have broken the 400 mark.

Gold

Anyone else sick of nothingness at Inter County Level?
The size of our County why can we not produce boys who want to compete?
Why do we not have pride to represent our County? Like travel down to Kerry (extreme example I know) and everything is Green and Gold, it's an obsession and a pride. They wouldn't accept Div 4 and nothingness

Here if you go to watch Antrim people laugh and scorn "why bother go and watch them?"
IF we had more pride in ourselves and our place it may change matters.

Getting on a County team is not the same as beating another County team. Why can a boy from Ballymena not be as fit or strong as a boy from Ballymun?

Why accept nothingness? Why are we watching the Super 8s without a proper anger that it isn't us who are there?

We must be one of the few counties at this stage who haven't got to Croke Park since the qualifiers began--who else hasn't? Leitrim, Kilkenny and Waterford (and possibly Limerick) are the only Counties I believe ffs.
Like we've boys and men all over Belfast (black taxi drivers etc) all wearing Antrim Gear/Jerseys/Hats yet how many actually go to matches, SUPPORT and cheer their County on? Or give 1 fcuk? I know ppl who wear the gear but don't do it for anything to do with support of our County Team--it's a joke.

Great work with the Business forum and Vision but money doesn't give you pride to be fitter, stronger and not accept failure, pride does. We have none.

We've no County ground. Not 1 club with a stand and are the laughing stock of Ulster GAA

Baker was our best time in any time I can remember. Aidan O'Rourke etc was interested --I honestly (no disrespect to current team) think we need an outside man to come in immediately and take over the County Senior Team.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

There is such a malaise towards our county teams it is unbelievable. The basic truth of the matter is that 90% of club members don't give a flying fig about the county. This generalisation won't surprise anyone. But the question is WHY is this the case?

We have so many fly by night supporters. We took circa 8 or 10 thousand supporters to an Ulster final in 2009, yet against Carlow in our last home game there wasn't 100 people supporting Antrim.

What really gets me is not the taxi drivers Gold. Where are the many hundreds of ex county players who have donned the jersey over the years. Take minor football alone. In the last 40 years (take 30 as an average sized panel) there is 1200 alone. Or the numbers who have passed through development squads, many looking for and getting their free jersey.

I could name county stalwarts at senior level who represented us with pride, but you wouldn't see the vast majority of them out supporting us. What's that about?

Then there is the Antrim masters team. Great lads out wearing the jersey at 40 years or more.....but is it really about representing Antrim or representing themselves? Most wouldn't think of crossing the road to watch Antrim. What's their reason for this? Are they waiting for their own careers to finish first lol.

Our pathetic support is only one outward sign that there are bigger problems beneath the surface. There's no doubt it is really frustrating supporting Antrim and we really could do with something to cheer about in the next year or two.

playwiththewind1st

I am comparatively lucky. My uncle, who was Co. Treasurer at the time, took me to the U-21 football final in 1974, when Antrim lost narrowly to Mayo. I was at the 1989 senior hurling final, when we lost to Tipperary. I attended a funeral a couple of years ago for an Antrim Gael called Sean McNally, who was in charge of S. Antrim during the height of the conflict. During a eulogy, his son said that his dad's proudest GAA moment was Antrim's All-Ireland U-21 football victory in 1969. The problem is, with all due respect, we won't  compete at those sort of levels, ever again. We had limited national success in the old days, but we had some. It is hard enough nowadays to keep clubs afloat. The county will suffer, as we don't have any success whatsoever.  Nowadays, unless you provide instant & constant gratification,  you're of no real use & interest quickly dies away. Plus, there are so many  other better organised alternative attractions these days. Hence it is with Antrim GAA.

bannside

One thing I don't foresee is instant, that's the problem. The journey Antrim must make from being a bottom eight to a top eight is achievable, but it will take massive leadership, drive, buy-in, financial imput and luck.

Luck being that we need 20 -25 players arriving at the required standard at the same time. And this includes half a dozen players who could for example make a Dublin panel.

I'd settle for seeing a top eight team in my lifetime, that would be a notable achievement, and some good building blocks are being put in place.

Question PWTW1....Do you manage to get to a few county games yourself?

paddyjohn

Nice to see you back BS, hopefully nothing serious kept you off the board as last while. How's things in PG1?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on July 27, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
There is such a malaise towards our county teams it is unbelievable. The basic truth of the matter is that 90% of club members don't give a flying fig about the county. This generalisation won't surprise anyone. But the question is WHY is this the case?

We have so many fly by night supporters. We took circa 8 or 10 thousand supporters to an Ulster final in 2009, yet against Carlow in our last home game there wasn't 100 people supporting Antrim.

What really gets me is not the taxi drivers Gold. Where are the many hundreds of ex county players who have donned the jersey over the years. Take minor football alone. In the last 40 years (take 30 as an average sized panel) there is 1200 alone. Or the numbers who have passed through development squads, many looking for and getting their free jersey.

I could name county stalwarts at senior level who represented us with pride, but you wouldn't see the vast majority of them out supporting us. What's that about?

Then there is the Antrim masters team. Great lads out wearing the jersey at 40 years or more.....but is it really about representing Antrim or representing themselves? Most wouldn't think of crossing the road to watch Antrim. What's their reason for this? Are they waiting for their own careers to finish first lol.

Our pathetic support is only one outward sign that there are bigger problems beneath the surface. There's no doubt it is really frustrating supporting Antrim and we really could do with something to cheer about in the next year or two.

Success won't be built on how many people turn up at a game, My own club got success from a desire to wear the jersey, 10 people watching a club game as no affect on the players turning out for their club, one of Antrim's problems is making it feel that they are representing something special, pride and passion. If a player needs 500 people out watching him before he plays then he's turning up for the wrong reasons, the support is a by product of success, always has been..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea