Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: Mort on April 03, 2017, 05:07:05 PM
I'm new to this so have patience. In my opinion I think the lack of competitiveness in Laois over the last ten years is the real problem. Portlaoise won nine in a row and fair to them. The rest of the club teams put out 15 players with some of them not fit to play junior but clubs had no choice. In days of old when there were bigger families clubs could field no problem but now most families are smaller and not everyone wants to play GAA anymore. So would it not be better to have parish teams to try raise the competitiveness in the county and reduce the championship to 8 teams??

With their total domination one would think they would backbone the country team not so.
The reason the local championship is poor is because of lack of quality.
Good players =good championship not the other way around.

No. 5

Quote from: No. 5 on April 01, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
Lads, as with last game I think we'll win tomorrow. On paper it's a decent team (I acknowledge match fitness amongst our bigger names may be lacking). I'd be happy with Creedon if we can scrape survival in Division 3, setting us up for promotion to Division 2 next year. Division 4 is unthinkable. A Leinster title is out of reach for foreseeable future due to Dublin dominance. Division 3 survival with goal of Division 2 is acceptable for the moment.

What in the name of all that's holy suggests that we are "set up" for promotion next year?!

My post does seem ridiculous now but my hope was for us to scrape survival, Creedon would have more time to get his methods in place (assuming he knew what he was doing), and hoping for a less freaky run of injuries to our best players. In short I was being optimistic ahead of our most important game in a long time. Relegation to Division 4 is barely believable.

Unison

Is Jack Nolan right when he suggests that no one seems to care? Do the county board give a damn about the plight of Gaelic Games in the county. Even if they do, are they capable of doing anything about it?

Dave like the tv channel

Read the posts on here, Unison. It's clear what the view on the CB is. They need a clear vision of the future and they don't have one. Nero fiddled, while Rome burned. They should have stepped down, in embarrassment, after the SFC debacle a few years ago.

The GDAs (Begley excused) are not working out. Is that a job for life, or do they actually have targets? Can they just churn out year after year of muck and be allowed to continue?

O moore parklife

The GDAs (Begley excused) are not working out. Is that a job for life, or do they actually have targets? Can they just churn out year after year of muck and be allowed to continue?
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more donnie brennan and james kelly have turned into council workers appointed through nepotism lazy no vision but untouchable should be a clean sweep every 3 -5 years

OTF

Quote from: O moore parklife on April 04, 2017, 08:42:23 AM

Couldn't agree more donnie brennan and james kelly have turned into council workers appointed through nepotism lazy no vision but untouchable should be a clean sweep every 3 -5 years
[/quote]

A few years ago the clubs call for an EGM I think to discuss the type of football McNulty was imposing on the senior team.
What are the clubs doing now .... why are they not now calling for the removal of the people who have presided of the debacle that is Laois football (all levels) right now.

As for the GDA's  well I wouldn't fire them if the were any good there should certainly be a yearly review..... but who's would carry out such  a review  ?? 

redsetanta

There's plenty of people who could carry out a review. Ex players like Colm Browne or someone like Cheddar who only wants the best for Laois Gaa.

Ask someone like Mick Dempsey to have a look and give his opinion, pay him for his time. He could look at it in comparison to how things are done in KK.

Plenty of people could step in and give a review and it wouldn't have to be the likes of Deloitte or KPMG.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on April 04, 2017, 09:58:43 AM
There's plenty of people who could carry out a review. Ex players like Colm Browne or someone like Cheddar who only wants the best for Laois Gaa.

Ask someone like Mick Dempsey to have a look and give his opinion, pay him for his time. He could look at it in comparison to how things are done in KK.

Plenty of people could step in and give a review and it wouldn't have to be the likes of Deloitte or KPMG.
Can I suggest, with the greatest of respect to the man, that given Mick Dempsey was the head hunter who appointed Mick Lillis, he may not be the silver bullet he's made out to be at times? Also, and again, respect for his past endeavours, but Colm  Browne was head of Games Development during a time when our decline continued unabated, possibly not the best man either. Individual thinkers are needed, and as we've seen with Cheddar, they're at times very much unappreciated.

Its at times like this, that perhaps, someone from Deloitte or KPMG is the answer. We have plenty living in the county who could offer their services. We need to think outside the box, doing the same thing, and going back to the same people over and over, will leave us where we always have been.

clonadmad

I would suggest that we get no one from within the county in to to do this.

We need 2/3 people who would look at this completely dispassionately and make recommendations without fear or favour.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on April 04, 2017, 10:16:35 AM

We need 2/3 people who would look at this completely dispassionately and make recommendations without fear or favour.
I'd be content to get nobody from with the usual GAA circles, but I have no doubt we have plenty of professional people in the county who could easily carryout such a task. Thats the thing, we have lots of untapped potential in this county, but sadly we see the same faces in front of us at Conventions year in year out.

Either way, I wouldn't go to either of the two mentioned above. This needs to be done immediately as well, and ensured that it is returned and published asap, and not mothballed like Offalys was for months and years.

Only the clubs can ensure this happens.

clonadmad

If it's an operational review of the County board's practices and structure,fair enough I'd have no issue with getting management consultants in.Peter Quinn would be top of my list here.

If its a review with recommendations as to best practices in terms of coaching and development across all cohorts in the county then it's a horse of a completely different color.

Setting the terms of reference early on would be key to defining the scope.

Also there would need to be a binding agreement that there a.would be the finance made available to implement change and b.agreement to put the findings of the report in place.

The reason why the Offaly one was shelved was due to all available funds going to service the debt on Oconnor park,Micheal Duignan also submitted 2 brilliant youth development plans for Offaly underage hurling which are gathering dust somewhere.

Doing a report for the optics of being seen to do something anything is a waste of time and resources.

Laoisguy

Sick from that performance

Is Creedon able to sufficiently get through to the Laois psyche I don't know

Panel is happy seemingly but Offaly were just so up for that game
Laois skillset is just so poor that's the reason why we are in Division 4

Decisionmaking and discipline at times was mindblowing

OTF

Quote from: clonadmad on April 04, 2017, 10:16:35 AM

Agree

ILikeStrawberryJam

When some posters were saying that Division 4 would be a disaster they werent joking but to be honest i think we'd be heading that
way in the next couple of years anyways if we had survived

looking at the team from Sunday there are so many over 30+

DStrong
D Booth
P McMahon
K Meaney
D Conway

Subs
Gary Walsh
Niall Donoher

Injured but certain starters if fit
Mark Timmons
B Quigley
C Begley

Thats 10 of the likely best 15 starters that could retire this year or next ..

Then there are players like Dillon and O'Connor in their late twenties, will they commit to Division 4 football?

Players like Donie and JOL who've been carrying us for years .. will they have the appetite for it.

It used to be a huge honour to play for Laois, i dont get that feeling anymore ..

It really is time to stand back and start from scratch .. sometimes you have to hit rock bottom .. and thats where we are ..

I dont know what the story is with the CB or any of that as I'm based in Dublin but there was at most 300 at the longford game
so there could be less than 100 at the matches next year .. surely that has to hit home financially and will force change ?

Unlaoised

To sick to even post after that defeat Sunday....

I don't know where to start.

Beating Longford now will be a hard task and if we do would we really be able to put it up to Kildare?

Thing is I still think there is the basis of a decent outfit there but something isn't right.

I also know we have taken the eye off the ball regarding coaching for a number of years now and are light years behind your Kildares Monaghan's and Tipps of this world who we should be competing with.

I'm usually positive and I respect everyone that tog's for this proud county but I just feel empty this week.
LAOIS ABÚ