Laois County Football Leagues all chat in here

Started by Unlaoised, February 18, 2016, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

One solution would be to have only first teams playing each other as happens in Kildare.
Let the second and third teams play each other in "reserve" leagues.

SpeculativeEffort

Can I ask what was the problem with the leagues before?

It seems to me that the problems are in the c'ship structures but they hadn't the liathroidi to tackle them so decided to mess up the league instead.

BallyroanAbu

The problem is second teams very few clubs can do it but we nearly all have them.  I know from our own experience that their is no rhyme or reason to the way things work out with them.  Last year we were very competitive got promoted in both leagues this year we are a million miles off.  Simple factors have changed maybe costing both teams 4-5 players making getting teams together a huge job.  On our own front Division 1A & 1B seem to be very competitive and run smoothly enough.  But I am still not over Ballyfin yet who I feel should be trying to get promoted but decided not to play any games which is madness.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 08, 2016, 09:07:27 PM
The problem is second teams very few clubs can do it but we nearly all have them.  I know from our own experience that their is no rhyme or reason to the way things work out with them.  Last year we were very competitive got promoted in both leagues this year we are a million miles off.  Simple factors have changed maybe costing both teams 4-5 players making getting teams together a huge job.  On our own front Division 1A & 1B seem to be very competitive and run smoothly enough.  But I am still not over Ballyfin yet who I feel should be trying to get promoted but decided not to play any games which is madness.

Ballyfin decision was/is disgraceful and shortsighted.

Also I think the change from over 16 to over 17 to play adult grades is having a negative once off effect. The totally unnecessary change meant that no club in the country gained a single new player from their juvenile ranks in 2016. 3/4 players would make a big difference to the strength of many second and third teams.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

BallyroanAbu

But in reality it's a 1 year issue from next year the supply chain will be normalised.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 09, 2016, 09:49:16 PM
But in reality it's a 1 year issue from next year the supply chain will be normalised.

Yes, and in reality it has having a negative affect this year. That is all I said.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

ACFL Div1 1A
15/05/2016

Arles/Killeen  1-9   
Stradbally     2-13

Portlaoise      0-12 
The Heath     2-15

St Joseph's      1-16
Arles Kilcruise  1-5 

ACFL Div1 1B
16/05/2016

Emo            2-19
Crettyard     0-8

15/05/2016
Ballyroan Abbey  3-11
Killeshin              3-8

Mountmellick   2-18
Timahoe          1-8
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

St Josephs have a decent young team there and were motoring well, certainly better than what I saw last year in the championship. Kilcruise are down on numbers with injuries and lads missing as well as being minus the county lads. They are playing their goalie out field at the moment and have a couple of lads in there only because they are short. Age profile is becoming an issue for them now when you consider there won't be many more years left in Padge and Chris Conway.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Kilcruise will be in trouble when the Conways and Ross retire which can't be too far away now, maybe they should be reconsidering the split with Killeen and join up again. It might be their only hope of survival as a senior team.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 17, 2016, 11:04:02 PM
Kilcruise will be in trouble when the Conways and Ross retire which can't be too far away now, maybe they should be reconsidering the split with Killeen and join up again. It might be their only hope of survival as a senior team.

So should most of the county. Portlaoise is laughing at the rest of us, with our bitter divisions over some pig or a fence knocked down by someone's grandad in 1932. 28 parishes. 16 senior football clubs, 40-something clubs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/laoisrc.htm

You take from Rosenallis down to Durrow are all hurling/junior football areas. That means we've 16 senior clubs in about 11/12 "senior football"  parishes.

Reduce the amount of clubs, reduce the size of the SFC, replace the CB. Get some forward-thinking individuals who can change where this county is going, rather than just tag along for the ride. The CB should be leading, not following.

This needs a huge sea-change in how Laois GAA is structured but all the small-mindedness of people who care more about their patch of grass than the bigger picture of the health of Laois GAA is killing us.

In hurling areas, there should be no junior clubs and the same for football. Consolidate the whole lot of them. Junior hurling clubs should come from the football part of the county and vice versa.

Ballyroan Abbey

Goodluck going into the likes of ,kyle, trumera, slieve bloom, ballypickas, kilcavan, barrowhouse, cortwood and telling them they need to fold for the greater good of the county, ill look out for you in the obituaries.
The county board brought in a rule that alllowed lads from these clubs a chance of playing senior so what harm are junior clubs doing
As regards championship make the football into 8s like the hurling and relegate the teams out of senior who dont makke q/f, regardless of pristige or size, unlike stradbally and joesphs in 2014

SCFC

What's gone wrong with Crettyard? Thats a bad beating.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on May 18, 2016, 02:31:37 PM
Goodluck going into the likes of ,kyle, trumera, slieve bloom, ballypickas, kilcavan, barrowhouse, cortwood and telling them they need to fold for the greater good of the county, ill look out for you in the obituaries.
The county board brought in a rule that alllowed lads from these clubs a chance of playing senior so what harm are junior clubs doing
As regards championship make the football into 8s like the hurling and relegate the teams out of senior who dont makke q/f, regardless of pristige or size, unlike stradbally and joesphs in 2014

Change is never easy. It's not my job to tell anyone anything - the CB should be leading this change,

Key word is "allowed".
Caveat: if the club let them.

Too much resistance from the smaller clubs. 10-in-a-row is coming and no-one's going to stop Portlaoise with this b.s.

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on May 19, 2016, 01:02:58 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on May 18, 2016, 02:31:37 PM

Change is never easy. It's not my job to tell anyone anything - the CB should be leading this change,

Key word is "allowed".
Caveat: if the club let them.

Too much resistance from the smaller clubs. 10-in-a-row is coming and no-one's going to stop Portlaoise with this b.s.
im assuming your from a big club as am i or not affiliated with one at all, the reality is that people take great pride in playing for their area, take ben conroy for example, was willing to give up senior hurling as possibly even an inter county carrer because he  would rather win a junior with slieve bloom than a senior with castletown.  i know that football basically died for a decade in abbeyleix after we joined in 06, you ask any person from ballyroan who do they play for they will never mention abbey its like a dirty word
A rule has been put in place that allows lads from any club in the county to play senior while allowing them to also play for their own community at junior, so really what benefit do amalgamations really bring?
The only amalgamations i would like to see would be ones of hurling clubs joining to form football clubs like st fintains and visa versa like slieve margy

Dave like the tv channel

Funny. I heard different about Ben.

Ballyroan is fine. Apart from Ballypickas pulling some players in from your parish, the parish is united. It's different for other parishes. Arles, Mountmellick and Portarlington are three who, if they copped on, would be far stronger. The days of pride of the parish are dying and if clubs continue on with this, they might fold before they make the right decision.

You're right about hurling clubs combining for football and vice-versa for the football clubs, but unless we strengthen the club scene as a whole, we're at nothing.

Having Portlaoise winning 9, 10, 11, 15 in a row will do nothing for the rest of Laois. There is a definite feel that Portlaoise now want to recruit and what young lad wouldn't want to win something, possible everything the whole way up?

There should be no parish in the county not offering senior hurling and senior football to any player who wants it, whether by virtue of being there themselves, or through amalgamations/isolated players etc. The answer is NOT to have so many senior clubs that there's no bite to the championship at all. At the moment, Laois SFC is where 16 teams play 27 or so matches and Portlaoise win in the end.

The county needs a strategy and I don't think the current CB are good enough to provide it. I don't know how they screwed up the SFC so badly in 2014? but they should have stepped down for the debacle. And what was the solution? No relegation. Save Joes or Strad or Arles from relegation and everyone's happy.

This ruling that players from junior/intermediate clubs can play with senior clubs is fine, but the problem is that the junior club had to agree with it. Turkeys voting for Christmas. Change the rule so the player can go, if asked, or if he wants to.

Hurling changed a few years back and we have clubs going from finalists to relegation finals from year to year. It's dog-eat-dog and if you're not prepped, you're fecked.

Football? A bloated obese fatarse competition, where the real challenge is to avoid Portlaoise and get as far as you can in the competition, before you meet Portlaoise and go out.

Reduce the amount of teams in the SFC, reduce the amount of clubs in Laois.