Pat Spillane

Started by pedro, August 08, 2009, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

We had an interesting day at the club yesterday. On of our young lads won a Sunday Game competition for Pat Spillane to come down and take them for a training session. We only got word about it on Wed so there was much excitement with the young lads all around the place.

For a fella I wouldn't have had much time for before from watching him on the TV, I have to say I couldn't praise him enough. While everyone was expecting him to come down for a half hour and have a chat with the lads and take them out for a quick kick about, he arrived at about half three and had interviews with various people round the club, took a tour of the facilities, spoke to everyone (at length) both young and old and took the lads out for a good session for well over an hour and a half. It was obvious he had much interest in the history of the club, the people involved and he also had a chat with some of our county players. He didn't leave until around eight with everyone looking for autographs and pictures to which he was very obliging.

He also told us a good few juicy stories from the Kerry camp before the Dublin game (I'm not going to repeat them here though!) and it was clear he has a real gra for the way Tyrone play and how Mickey Harte has them set up (compare that to his 'puke' football analogy!).

There's supposed to be a piece on the Sunday Game after all the football and, while it'll probably only be a 2 minute affair (the Sunday Game don't seem to like showing actual highlights or other interesting pieces), it was a great day for all the young ones around the place and brought a bit of a lift for everyone involved in the club.

After all the begrudgery and running people down on the board over the last couple of weeks, I thought it would only be right to give some credit where it is due.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Shortso79

Fair Play

Whats your club Pedro ?

CĂșig huaire

Was wondering what was going on yesterday, the club was unusually busy yesterday evening. You kept that quiet.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Drumanee 1

spillane fairly talks the talk but he's walked the walk,he has been chairman of his own club (templenoe) managed there underage teams,as well as taking his school teams so the nobody can throw anything in his face about being a big time charlie.of course on television he really plays to the audience and that in my opinion is good craic and good viewing even though he can be way over the top.

Santino

Big fan here too. Him and Brolly's exchanges make for great tv.
He's as passionate as any other analyst we're ever likely to see.
Even if he was wrong about Bellew!

muppet

I played on the undercard on a day where he was playing in the main event, many years ago.

Of all the stars on view that day he was the one who stood out. Afterwards he spoke to every one of us individually and really made our day. Couldn't speak highly enough of the man.

Don't always enjoy him on the box but I''ll never forget him for the above.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2009, 01:44:34 PM
I played on the undercard on a day where he was playing in the main event, many years ago.

Of all the stars on view that day he was the one who stood out. Afterwards he spoke to every one of us individually and really made our day. Couldn't speak highly enough of the man.

What year was that Muppet 1985 ? Didn't realise you played with the minors
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 08, 2009, 01:47:10 PM

I didn't.
MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

muppet playing with minors, thats slanderous !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on August 08, 2009, 01:50:52 PM

as slanderous as hoof playing senior :D

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on August 08, 2009, 01:50:52 PM

I was always more Aurthur Scargill than Maggie Thatcher.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2009, 01:48:06 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 08, 2009, 01:47:10 PM

I didn't.

i give up you have me confused muppett , i'll make no more silly comments  :D :'(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

pintsofguinness

That's good to hear about him, would go up in my estimation after hearing that and I generally can't stand him on the tv. 

Ive heard reports before that the same couldnt be said about O'rourke????
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

sandwiches_in_the_boot

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

DennistheMenace