National Hurling league round 2

Started by slow corner back, February 26, 2010, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Here we go for another week
Limerick V Cork Last years strikers V this years. Although Justins team appear better than Geralds last year they still will not be able to match Cork who should win with a bit to spare
Dublin V Tipp: Last week was very poor for Dublin. Anthony Daly will be looking for a reaction from his players. He may well get one but not enough to beat Tipp IMO. Tipp by about 5
Galway V Waterford: May well be the match of the weekend. Waterford were impressive against Dublin and Galway did just about enough against Limerick. I think Galway will improve this week a nick a tight one Galway by two
Kilkenny V Offaly : Offaly must have annoyed someone in Croke Park. Trips to Leeside and Nowlan park for your first two games is a bit unfair. Offaly did beat KK in the walsh cup and put up a decent show for about 55 minutes against Cork however the Cats will want revenge for the walsh cup and should get it.
Whoever Offaly annoyed Down must have upset also because they follow up a trip to Ennis with one to Wexford. After a hiding last week this week things will be similar but maybe not so clinical. Wexford with a bit in hand
Carlow still hurting from a one point reverse in Belfast wil be looking to get a win under their belts against westmeath. This will be a close one but home advantage might swing it for westmeath.
Kildare get to host Antrim who are a long way from being world beaters but should have too much for Kildare
The last match in Div 2 is Laois against Clare. This could be a close exciting game if Laois can play to the top of their ability but even so I would still expect Clare to edge them.
Lower down wins for London Kerry and Meath fingal and South Down ( maybe)

stevecw

Limerick v Cork - Cork by 10
Dub v Tipp - Tipp by 6
Galway v Wat - Gal by 4
Kilk v Off - Kilk by 9

Div 2
Wexford v Down - Wex by 14
Carlow v Westmeath - Carlow by 5 (slow corner back, its actually Carlow at home this weekend, not Westmeath as u seem to think!)
Kildare v Antrim - Antrim by 4
Laois v Clare - Clare by 4

lilpaulie85

my pick of div 1,
cork tipp wat and kk all to win.
Chase the dream not the competition.

GalwayBayBoy

Limerick 1-14 Cork 2-21

Galway 4-15 Waterford 1-15

Dublin 1-21 Tipperary 1-12

Kilkenny 1-17 Offaly 0-12

seafoid

I thought Waherford would be better than that. Or maybe Galway are simply magnificent..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on February 28, 2010, 05:16:28 PM
I thought Waherford would be better than that. Or maybe Galway are simply magnificent..

What about Dublin? One of the best days I've had in Parnell ;D

slow corner back

The Dubs undoubtedly had the result of the day. Not too many of us saw that coming. In fairness to Laois they came very close to upsetting Clare, Rigney seems to have them moving in the right direction. Surprisingly comprehensive win for Carlow too, fair play to them.

thejuice

Well done to the Dubs, would be nice to see them carry this into the summer and take a big scalp. Meath came away with a draw against Armagh. Happy enough with that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Onlooker

Quote from: INDIANA on February 28, 2010, 06:02:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 28, 2010, 05:16:28 PM

What about Dublin? One of the best days I've had in Parnell ;D
Fine performance by Dublin, probably their best in the NHL for years.  As a Tipp man, I thought we were awful, but I would not take anything away from Dublin.  They could, and probably should, have won by more.  This is a serious wake up call for Tipp and there are serious problems re lack of depth outside the regular starting 15.

orangeman

Where did that Dublin performance come from ???

Did Tipp undersetimate them ?

stevecw

Quote from: slow corner back on February 28, 2010, 06:27:46 PM
The Dubs undoubtedly had the result of the day. Not too many of us saw that coming. In fairness to Laois they came very close to upsetting Clare, Rigney seems to have them moving in the right direction. Surprisingly comprehensive win for Carlow too, fair play to them.

Yes it was a much bigger than expected win for us. I only saw the 2nd half, as for some crazy reason our footballers were playing wexford in O'Byrne shield final at 1.30 in a different part of Carlow. Hurling started at 2.30...so missed 1st half of hurling as did many others who were at the football.
In 2nd half we totally dominated them, and for a change took our chances. 5-17 is a great score to get. Pity we couldn't have had that kind of accuracy last week in Casement.
But encouraging signs, play Down away next..and then Wexford and Clare at home. If we keep playing like today, might manage to pull off a shock v one of the big 2!

imtommygunn

Down -Carlow should be interesting though I'd expect Carlow to win by a few.

Dublin looked a lot fitter than Tipp. While it was a great result I do think it was perhaps reflective of where they were at in their training...

Galway made waterford look very ordinary though the goalie deflecting a point into the net was the beginning of the end for Waterford. A lot of waterford old hands not about. I would think looking at it it'll be a few years before they're a force again in munster. (I would expect a few of them back in the summer though)

AFS

Quote from: thejuice on February 28, 2010, 07:38:15 PM
Well done to the Dubs, would be nice to see them carry this into the summer and take a big scalp. Meath came away with a draw against Armagh. Happy enough with that.

Yis got very lucky it seems, equaliser in the 6th minute of injury time. Another good result for Armagh against a Christy Ring team though, no reason why we can't be playing in that competition next year.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on February 28, 2010, 07:56:07 PM
Where did that Dublin performance come from ???

Did Tipp undersetimate them ?

Dublins was a reaction from last week. I would say Tipp had themselves all geared to play Kilkenny and mentally suffered a bit when it was called off. All respects to ourselves but playing Dublin was probably a bit of  a letdown after that. Sheedy won't worry too much about losing to us. The only thing I'll say is Tipp are still heavily reliant on Eoin Kelly and I would say that more than anything will worry Sheedy. They have some other fantastic forwards but the jury is till out whether they will take up the slack if Kelly was injured.

We were so bad last week hard not to underestimate us. Best we've played probably for about 5/6 years since we beat Kilkennys full team in a Walsh Cup final.  But consistency has always been our problem. So the Offaly game is huge in 2 weeks. And Offaly will feel that is a game at home that is there to be won for them.

deiseach

Cheers for that, Dublin. Are Waterford any good or not? No fecking idea at this point