National Hurling league Round 1

Started by slow corner back, February 19, 2010, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

This weekend sees the return of the national league and starts with a bang with Tipp V Kilkenny at Semple Stadium on Saturday Night. Kilkenny can be vunerable early in the year and Tipp have had 6 months to stew on the all ireland final loss. I expect Tipp to lay down an early season marker and beat the Cats on Saturday night in a game that may prove spicy.
The following day sees Galway travel to Limerick where anything other than a comprehensive Galway win will be a major surprise. Offaly who started the season well beating the Cats have a tough trip to Leeside to face Cork. With no strike this year and a lot of players in the last chance saloon I expect Cork to have a good season and should begin with a win against Offaly in what could be a decent match. The last match in Division one sees Waterford at home to Dublin. Anthony Daly has a big task this year to avoid suffering second season syndrome. After a good division one campaign and a Leinster final appearance the Dubs will be hoping for big things this year. They may well have a good year but my money is on waterford to see them off on Sunday.
Dropping down a level to Division 2 Clare with a new management team get to start life in the lower reaches against Down in Ennis. Down who also have a new manager are always game but with the long trip and the quality of the opposition I expect them to return empty handed. Elsewhere after an encouraging end to last season Laois start again against Kildare in a midlands derby. While it is good to see Kildare making strides in hurling I fear Divisuion 2 is a step too far and expect Laois to beat them with a bit to spare.
Westmeath welcome Wexford on Sunday and will want to improve on what was a disapointing 2009 for them. The sight of Carlow in the Liam McCarthy must annoy any westmeath hurling supporter who must wonder why it is not them. It is up to westmeath to do something about it starting against wexford. I do not think they will be able to with Wexford winning by a few points. Last in Division 2 is Antrim against the aforementioned Carlow. Having beaten Antrim twice in 12 months Carlow will see this as a possible away 2 points. Antrim with home advantage will think otherwise. This will be the tightest game in Division 2 on sunday with ( hopefully ) Antrim edging home by a couple of points, although in the absence of the St Galls and Dunloy players I am not overly confident.
Lower down I will go for wins for London, Armagh and Dery although without much confidence.
The Tyrone manager reckons he has only 13 players so Donegal should deal with them with Louth and Fingal winning with home advantage
In Div 4 wins for Monaghan, Lietrim and South Down???

Minder

Think Tipp are a great price at Evens, strong team out and Kilkenny without the Ballyhale contingent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I'm going to take a trot over to Semple Stadium to see the Tipp Kilkenny game. Looking forward to it, and I hope the sleet/snow/hail/rain doesn't destroy it. Is there some celebration or something on before it?

Reillers

Cork team v Offaly.

1. Donal Óg Cusack (Cloyne)

2. Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)

3. David Cunningham (Glen Rovers)

4. Shane Murphy ( Erin's Own)

5. Brian Murphy (Bride Rovers)

6. Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)

7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)

8. John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)

9. Tom Kenny (Grenagh)

10. Lorcán McLoughlin (Kanturk)

11. Mark O'Sullivan (Dripsey)

12. Niall McCarthy (Carrigtwohill)

13. Kieran Murphy (Sars - Capt)

14. Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)

15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Subs

16. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)

17. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)

18. Kevin Hartnett (Russell Rovers)

19. Ray Ryan (Sarsfields)

20. Aidan Ryan (Midleton)

21. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)

22. Graham Calnan (Glen Rovers)

23. Michael Cussen (Sarsfields)

24. Fintan O'Leary (Ballinhassig)

Reillers

Offaly team (according to the Offaly GAA site.)

1. James Dempsey, Kinnitty

2. James Rigney, Kinnitty

3. Paul Cleary, Birr

4. David Kenny, Belmont

5. Diarmuid Horan, St Rynagh's

6. Ger Oakley, Carrig & Riverstown

7. Derek Morkan, Shinrone

8. Dylan Hayden, Birr

9. Rory Hanniffy, Birr

10. Brian Carroll, Coolderry

11. Joe Bergin, Seir Kieran

12. Conor Mahon, Kilcormac/ Killoughey

13. Cathal Parlon, Coolderry

14. Ger Healion, Kilcormac/ Killoughey

15. Shane Dooley, Tullamore

Farrandeelin

I hope Dublin hurlers win something this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lilpaulie85

Waterford team to start on sunday against Dublin,
C Hennessy;
J Meagher,
L Lawlor,
N Connors;
D Prendergast,
M Walsh,
J. Murray;
J Nagle,
R Foley;
M Shanahan,
K Moran,
T Connors;
S Walsh,
G Hurney,
S. Molumphy.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Minder on February 19, 2010, 09:27:50 PM
Think Tipp are a great price at Evens, strong team out and Kilkenny without the Ballyhale contingent.
Where is that Minder?? 8/11 ON PP

Minder

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on February 20, 2010, 03:01:45 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 19, 2010, 09:27:50 PM
Where is that Minder?? 8/11 ON PP

They were evens in Ladbrokes the other day, possibly before they named a strong team.4/5 at Ladbrokes.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 20, 2010, 11:56:48 AM
I hope Dublin hurlers win something this year.

Bit to go yet- hopefully we will have a right crack at the league because I doubt kilkenny or tipp will be that bothered about winning it. But with the championship draw the backdoor beckons.

Milltown Row2

will there be any links for this game tonight? Setanta i think are showing it. bloody disgrace!!!

Tg4 showing our game tomorrow. 8/11 for no goals seems a fair price, with good defence and the weather to be bitter cold i'll have some of that.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Just heading out the door here to Thurles. Good fall of snow on at the moment here in North Tipp. Hope the game is not affected too much. Visibility is pretty bad at the moment, and snow in floodlights must be a nightmare to play in..

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team v Limerick

James Skehill
Damien Joyce
Shane Kavanagh
Pat Holland
Donal Barry
Tony Og Regan
Kevin Hynes
Ger Farragher
Niall Cahalane
Aonghus Callanan
Cyril Donnellan
David Burke
Aidan Harte
Joe Gantley
Niall Hayes

AZOffaly

Well I never made it to Thurles anyhow. Snow very bad, came on an accident where a car had overturned on snow and ice outside Rear Cross. Spent a half hour helping Gardai on point duty (1 squad arrived, lunacy), and decided to head for home.

Looks like I might have made the best decision, that game shouldn't go ahead and will be a farce if it does.

Zulu