Touching the ball on the ground

Started by Mayo4Sam, July 14, 2014, 11:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Saw this in the times today, cant say its a rule I've ever heard of and hard to see how its enforced
E.g. if you fall and the ball rolls out of your hands are you still allowed palm it to the goal?
How long do you have? If you are fisting it presumably you have to take both hands off it.

We hardly need to say it, but touching the football on the ground with the hand is a foul in Gaelic football.

There are, however, two exceptions: one for the goalkeeper when they are inside the small square (or rectangle to be exact.

The second exception is Rule 1.2(ii): Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by doing so."

How come then, whenever a player falls to the ground with the football and touches it off the ground, the immediately referee blows for a free?

Every referee does it.

It happened in yesterday's Connacht decider.

It happens every week.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

David McKeown

I remember a bit of an outcry after the 1995 final when Canavan did this and I believe Tyrone scored only for the point to be disallowed and a free out awarded for the touch on the ground.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

westbound

There is a difference between fisting / palming the ball away and trying to regain/retain control of the ball. It is the attempting to regain/retain control of the ball by touching it on the ground that is a foul (and that's what happened yesterday from memory).

westbound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 14, 2014, 11:59:23 AM
Saw this in the times today, cant say its a rule I've ever heard of and hard to see how its enforced
E.g. if you fall and the ball rolls out of your hands are you still allowed palm it to the goal?
How long do you have? If you are fisting it presumably you have to take both hands off it.

We hardly need to say it, but touching the football on the ground with the hand is a foul in Gaelic football.

There are, however, two exceptions: one for the goalkeeper when they are inside the small square (or rectangle to be exact.

The second exception is Rule 1.2(ii): Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by doing so."

How come then, whenever a player falls to the ground with the football and touches it off the ground, the immediately referee blows for a free?

Every referee does it.

It happened in yesterday's Connacht decider.

It happens every week.

To specifically answer this question, it is because the player is not attempting to fist or palm the ball away. They are usually trying to hold on to the ball.

Msgr. Horan

In addition to this there should be someone writing a thesis on when shoulders are deemed fair or not. It seems refs seem more focused on whether the receiver gets buckled by the shoulder or not to determine if its legal or not. Witness Boyle's shoulder on someone in maroon yesterday, it was perfectly fair and shoulder to shoulder. Just because the crowd went "oooohhh" and the Galway player nearly ended up in the stand and couldnt get up, Mr Hickey decided it was a foul. Shoulder to shoulder when challenging for the ball was always the rule. Some refs want to take all physical contact outta the game I fear.

Jinxy

So basically, big Joe's goal in the 2010 Leinster Final was completely legit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dubsfantom

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2014, 07:13:55 PM
So basically, big Joe's goal in the 2010 Leinster Final was completely legit.

No it wouldn't. Big Joe fell on the ground  but still had control of the ball and just threw it into the net.

Jinxy

If I recall correctly, he was knocked to the ground (definite peno by the way) and palmed the ball into the net.

dubsfantom

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2014, 07:31:06 PM
If I recall correctly, he was knocked to the ground (definite peno by the way) and palmed the ball into the net.

If you arrive at that conclusion after watching this then you must be a wind up merchant.

http://youtu.be/bxq6SofU_38

muppet

Which isn't a goal.

MWWSI 2017

neilthemac

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 07:41:58 PM

Which isn't a goal.
No. Same as a handpass

Jinxy

"The second exception is Rule 1.2(ii): Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by doing so."

For Gods sake lads, read the rule.
It's like some of you never even played the game.

neilthemac

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2014, 10:39:52 PM
"The second exception is Rule 1.2(ii): Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by doing so."

Oh yeah. Forgot that.

It's basically a rule to protect a player coming down with the ball.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2014, 10:39:52 PM

He did neither. He threw it into the net.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

It was hard to see with the human eye, but he definitely palmed it.
He's just that fast.