Computer Virus Help

Started by tyroneman, October 29, 2011, 05:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Have a virus on my PC that won't let me run Malwarebytes or Adaware to get rid of it - any suggestions?

Archie Mitchell

Run in safe mode and then try running anti virus. Also try combofix or the windows malicous tool remover. Both free to download.

sammymaguire

S T A Y.  O F F. T H E. P O R N. S I T E S!! 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

tyroneman

Tried the microsoft security - no good won't let me run it either.

deiseach

What are the symptoms of the virus? Google them and there's bound to be a removal tool that you can download and run in safe mode

Seamroga in exile

Can you do a system restore? If so, restore to at least 3 or 4 days ago. Reboot in safe mode. If you can update your anti virus in safe mode, do so. Then run a full scan. The programmes you have installed are pretty good at what they do, but they are essentially doing the same thing. You also need something like AVG, avast or antivir to run in 'real time'.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

tyroneman

Safe mode - No good.

System Restore - No Good - even using a restore point from days ago.

Any other ideas? I'm clean out  :-\

johnneycool

got a laptop delivered to me the other night with this metropolitan police virus thingy, damn thing locks up good an proper. All the fixes on the web are for XP, but this yolk is vista and all the registration files etc they tell you to delete aren't in Vista, well not in the same state.

Anyone come across it and know how to recover the bugger before i shell out for spy doctor or the likes?

Square Ball

does it run a pretend virus check Tyroneman?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

amallon

I would download combofix from bleepingcomputer and run it.  Download it on another computer and put it on memory stick and run it on the infected computer in safe mode.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Abble

Some anti-virus / malware queries....

I went out last night to repair a friends desktop, issue was no internet connection. Also speakers and printer werent working, drivers missing.

Of course on booting everything up, into google we go and everythings fine, or so it appeared. Playing around I decided I'd improve his anti-virus and malware prevention by installing AVAST and MALWARE ANTIBYTES.

When I start to google in and get the files, the internet pages we got back seemed to play up. Ie pages seemed to redirect to some other unwanted sites. Was this a possible virus on the machine trying to prevent me access to certain sites to prevent any virus' etc ?

Also the internet connection would drop quite a bit.

Eventually I had to download the required software onto my own machine and copy on to his and install. So I've now AVAST and ANTI-MALWARE installed on the machine. Does anyone know of better free versions around as I've been using both these for years, I'm just wondering are they both still up to scratch on new installs or is there better around ?

tbrick18

Quote from: Abble on January 24, 2012, 11:50:34 AM
Some anti-virus / malware queries....

I went out last night to repair a friends desktop, issue was no internet connection. Also speakers and printer werent working, drivers missing.

Of course on booting everything up, into google we go and everythings fine, or so it appeared. Playing around I decided I'd improve his anti-virus and malware prevention by installing AVAST and MALWARE ANTIBYTES.

When I start to google in and get the files, the internet pages we got back seemed to play up. Ie pages seemed to redirect to some other unwanted sites. Was this a possible virus on the machine trying to prevent me access to certain sites to prevent any virus' etc ?

Also the internet connection would drop quite a bit.

Eventually I had to download the required software onto my own machine and copy on to his and install. So I've now AVAST and ANTI-MALWARE installed on the machine. Does anyone know of better free versions around as I've been using both these for years, I'm just wondering are they both still up to scratch on new installs or is there better around ?

Sure what would you know about fixing computers? ;)

amallon

I would run combofix.  You can download it from bleeping computer.  It will throw a series of warnings about virus scanners but just ignore these.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.