Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Poor Dale is getting destroyed by Joe.

Its time the poor fella went for a lie down

Last Caress

Joe was on BBC radio Ulster today. Here is the link if anyone is interested.  Click on today's date. Its about 40mins long. See what u think
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007cpt4/episodes/player

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: knockitdown on March 06, 2019, 02:49:40 PM
I see Joe's having a good chat with Cllr Pankhurst on twitter....

Och, the DUP must have let the poor cub out on his own today. Looks like a twat, in his wee band uniform, though not as bad as Danny Kennedy, at his stage in life, doing a Baldrick impression.

heffo

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 05, 2019, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 05, 2019, 07:44:08 PM
Its a great article with some interesting ideas and a great core message - I don't care if the call happened or not.

I assumed that whole phone call with Canavan was written tongue in cheek by Joe and he never meant anyone to seriously think that the conversation happened.,

That was my take too

Main Street

Quote from: Last Caress on March 06, 2019, 03:44:28 PM
Joe was on BBC radio Ulster today. Here is the link if anyone is interested.  Click on today's date. Its about 40mins long. See what u think
Joe's  rant against DUP's general scummy bigoted attitudes towards minorities, their contempt for civil rights, was on the button.

But what's relevant on this side of the board are GAA matters and I don't think Joe did handle that part very well and did he actually call upon the GAA to get involved with an AI poll?

Rossfan

Jarlath Burns said something along those lines too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: Last Caress on March 06, 2019, 03:44:28 PM

When I click on the link for today's show I get prompted to log in to an account. I am in the US. CAn the rest of you listen to this without having to log in.

Last Caress

He definitely didn't hold back on the DUP. And yes he called upon the gaa to get involved in a border poll.

RedHand88

Joe is a national treasure. His behind the scenes stories about Jim wells, Gregory Campbell etc are great.

Esmarelda

I think he was on Sean O'Rourke on RTE earlier in the week on the same topic.

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 07, 2019, 09:03:06 AM
I think he was on Sean O'Rourke on RTE earlier in the week on the same topic.
I see it was monday
https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_21520437_15036_04-03-2019_
In true Joe Brolly fashion, he interrupts O'Rourke twice at 1.25 mins to let it be known that He was ready to be interviewed and when asked to hold on by O'Rourke, Joe refuses and stands his ground.
Then Joe takes the stand and states his case why the GAA should take a forthright stance and a campaigning role in a border poll campaign

MoChara

Page 1 of the GAA constitution

"Today, the native games take on a new significance when it is realised that they have been a part, and still are a part, of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern her own affairs."

Re-unification is a core tenet the GAA was built on and so is a GAA matter.

Rossfan

Errr.... The GAA was founded nearly 40 years before Partition ;).
The official GAA should NOT take any sides in a Referendum.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: MoChara on March 07, 2019, 01:46:57 PM
Page 1 of the GAA constitution

"Today, the native games take on a new significance when it is realised that they have been a part, and still are a part, of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern her own affairs."

Re-unification is a core tenet the GAA was built on and so is a GAA matter.

There's no such thing as a GAA constitution.

The statement you quote also includes the following:

"The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, nationalminded manhood."

It's a clearly aspirational statement, not meant to be taken literally. Otherwise the above sentence would rule out games for women and girls.

The day the GAA starts a political campaign is the day it dies as a national movement.