Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Anyone guess who'll be elected in the various constituencies in the 26? Mairead McGuinness will prob top the poll in Midlands/North/West. Apart from that???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on May 15, 2019, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 09:48:14 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2019, 09:45:23 PM
Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.

It's definitely not the same in every political party.

I see there is an issue with postal votes for the European elections in NI. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on percentage vote share....

Nonsense. Of course it is! Newly elected SDLP councillor Mary Durkan in Derry. Im sure it's just coincidence she's Mark Hs sister and Marks neice. Same with the Robinsons in the DUP and the Trimbles in the UUP.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2019, 10:20:09 AM
Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.

I see there is an issue with postal votes for the European elections in NI. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on percentage vote share....

Nonsense. Of course it is! Newly elected SDLP councillor Mary Durkan in Derry. Im sure it's just coincidence she's Mark Hs sister and Marks neice. Same with the Robinsons in the DUP and the Trimbles in the UUP.

Are you trying to say nepotism is rife in NI politics?

Are Diane, Iris, Paul Maskey, the Durkan's, young Poots and Co not picked on merit?

Big Gavin R is no relation to Peter the punt.

RedHand88

Quote from: johnnycool on May 15, 2019, 10:25:27 AM

Are you trying to say nepotism is rife in NI politics?

Are Diane, Iris, Paul Maskey, the Durkan's, young Poots and Co not picked on merit?

Big Gavin R is no relation to Peter the punt.

The 26 are as bad I've noticed. The amount of posters I've seen  with familiar surnames is shackin, so it is.

Hound

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 07, 2019, 06:32:10 PM
How will it go in your area down South?
Our council in Offaly is currently 8FF 4FG 3SF 1Renua Ireland 3 Independents.
3 electoral areas.
Birr: 6 seats 2FF 1FG 1SF 1 Renua Ireland 1 Independent
Tullamore: 7 seats 4FF 1 FG 1 SF 2 Independents
Edenderry: 6 seats 2 FF 2 FG 1SF 1 Independent

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 15, 2019, 10:04:57 AM
Anyone guess who'll be elected in the various constituencies in the 26? Mairead McGuinness will prob top the poll in Midlands/North/West. Apart from that???
We should probably partition the south elections into a separate thread. Gets lost amongst the 6 county stuff.

trailer

Whats the view on Mark Durkan in Dublin? Will he get elected?

smelmoth

I'll ask you the same question that Marty34 is unwilling to answer - which of these have been co opted?

Rois

That's newly elected Mary Durkan the practicing barrister, who has been involved in politics forever, and who was the poll topper in the QUB Student Union president election back in 2001?  I don't get why you think there's nepotism - Mary doesn't need the role of councillor, given her successful career, and was elected fair and square. 

RedHand88

Quote from: smelmoth on May 15, 2019, 12:23:19 PM

I'll ask you the same question that Marty34 is unwilling to answer - which of these have been co opted?

Durkan was ran in the foyleside dea, it's as good as co opting. Be like running an unknown SF candidate in Black mountain.

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2019, 01:12:27 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 15, 2019, 12:23:19 PM

Durkan was ran in the foyleside dea, it's as good as co opting. Be like running an unknown SF candidate in Black mountain.

Flimsy

The woman ran in her local area, at the most junior level, having served in the party for years and having established herself professionally and then was elected by the public. Not co opted

Rossfan

McGuinness and Carthy should get back anyway.
Hopefully Ming before that Casey fella.
FFrs will surely expect to take a seat .
Don't know enough about the other 2 areas.
There's a plethora of loonylefts in Dublin which will I'm sure eat into the SF vote but will they come back in transfers?
If SF do badly they'll have to reconsider their Queen's position.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Politics in nepotism and jobs for the boys shocker.....

marty34

It's exactly the same in most political parties - co-opted or standinging for the first time.

Durkan in Derry...mmmm...nepotism and all the rest, Maskeys in Belfast, Poots and Robinsons in Belfast.  Family name means a lot on the poster regardless.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 15, 2019, 03:21:17 PM

It's exactly the same in most political parties - co-opted or standinging for the first time.

Durkan in Derry...mmmm...nepotism and all the rest, Maskeys in Belfast, Poots and Robinsons in Belfast.  Family name means a lot on the poster regardless.

Last sentence is probably true but that's democracy. Co opting is not the same is it? The electorate don't have role to play in co opting do they?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2019, 02:06:05 PM
McGuinness and Carthy should get back anyway.
Hopefully Ming before that Casey fella.
FFrs will surely expect to take a seat .
Don't know enough about the other 2 areas.
There's a plethora of loonylefts in Dublin which will I'm sure eat into the SF vote but will they come back in transfers?
If SF do badly they'll have to reconsider their Queen's position.

Queen Mary Lou?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.