Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

any attendance from the down game lads?

Itchy

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 12, 2018, 11:41:26 PM
any attendance from the down game lads?

Didn't see anything official but I'd guess around 6000.

southtyronegael

mrdeeds

Fergal Reilly back training. Good addition with injuries in back positions and improves squad.

Look-Up!

Disappointing result at weekend but it was a great battle all the same. A bit more cuteness and maybe leadership/experience we'll be winning those sort of games. Massive test now against Tipp. Really hope we respond well and we get a repeat of our last showdown with Galway. These are the sort of games can really bring lads on and we're not a million miles away.

oliverkelly

No Cavan have made great improvement this year under McGleenan who I hold my hands up and doubted especially after a poor preseason and poor year last year his first I know.
Playing a better style of football this year and with a bit of luck last Sunday ye could have beaten us. Best of luck at the weekend hopefully we will be meeting in croker in a few weeks. Regardless of this weekend i think ye have a great chance against Donegal

Look-Up!

Quote from: oliverkelly on March 20, 2018, 08:55:12 PM
No Cavan have made great improvement this year under McGleenan who I hold my hands up and doubted especially after a poor preseason and poor year last year his first I know.
Playing a better style of football this year and with a bit of luck last Sunday ye could have beaten us. Best of luck at the weekend hopefully we will be meeting in croker in a few weeks. Regardless of this weekend i think ye have a great chance against Donegal

Thanks Oliver. Good luck to you at weekend too and I'd be surprised if you don't go up at this stage. If we do go up we more than likely will be playing ye in the final so that would certainly be a mouth watering prospect. I think new personnel wise, we certainly have the potential to improve on where we've been at, but until we actually take that step it's still only unrealized potential at this stage. Donegal is a big one for us. We have a great chance surely against them if our 15 click but despite their struggles their panel is much much stronger than ours and some of their starting forwards are all star material. So we'll need a lot to go right.

Westside

We are still weaker than we were in 2016 IMO. Mattie has done ok this year but our first serious test was Roscommon and we failed. Lose to Tipp on Sunday and we're proven to be a decent Div 2 side. Which is worse than where we were when he took over.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on March 21, 2018, 01:29:37 PM

We are still weaker than we were in 2016 IMO. Mattie has done ok this year but our first serious test was Roscommon and we failed. Lose to Tipp on Sunday and we're proven to be a decent Div 2 side. Which is worse than where we were when he took over.

True although I'd say your assessment of Sunday might be a bit harsh. Sometimes when you lose it's doesn't necessarily have to be a failure but more a case of being beaten by the better team on the day. And you need a bit of luck too which we got in 2016. Worst case scenario I can live with being a decent Division 2 side with a young healthy panel, hopefully some experienced lads to rejoin and plenty of talented underage players to come through. It's a long cry from where we were before the previous man took over.

Itchy

I thought we would pip Roscommon and they pipped us. Either way there was sweet FA in it at the end. I think it will be the same the next day so hopefully we get the rub of the green.

Itchy

U17s bet 3 games out of 3 in Ulster league. 4 points against monaghan and 7 today against Armagh. What's going on with that team?

Westside

I think they're saying the squad is only coming together very recently because the Rannafast lads are coming back in after the AISF

Itchy

Well a very unlikely promotion secured with a real beauty of a point. Delighted for Madden, he's lot of ability but I fear was treated harshly last year. I hope he gets lots of confidence from that score. We actually played quite poorly. For me Mackey poor until past quarter, gearoid again on the big day went missing. It's incredibly our young players like mcvitty and holla that lead this team. Also couodnt understand caoimhin coming off he was lively as hell. That said Tipp are a very good team and very powerful. Westside I saw you say Johnson was good, I thought he was poor enough. Almost gave away a goal with a silly pass and dropped one short.

We could really do with the win on Sunday. A trophy badly needed at senior level. And a win might also banish this Roscommon hoodoo which is annoying as they aren't much different to us. We really need to go for it Sunday. What a lift it would be for the Donegal game to be div 2 champions

southtyronegael

congrats on the promotion cavan. super 8s have to be a realistic target for you boys now.

Westside

Ah you can't blame Johnston for the goal Itchy, Tipp ran the ball the length of the field after the pass. It's not like he gave it away in his own gull back line.
His use is very limited now and you can really see that the game is too physical for him. But he was calm on the ball and picked out the right passes to get us moving at a crucial time in the game.

I agree that winning Sunday would be a huge boost. I was looking back at the 2014 League Final last night and there's only about 3 Cavan players still there from the starting team, yet Roscommon continue to edge us.

I think we'll need to see something excellent tactically from Mattie on Sunday. Roscommon won't kick the wides Tipp did when the game was in the melting pot.

Caoimhin probably has another few years conditioning ahead of him before we see his best. I thought Bradley looked out of his depth physically and was reluctant to have a go when he got within shooting distance.