Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

In all honesty, this thread is perhaps the moment things change utterly for the teaching profession. It is obvious that from the insightful postings above on the issue that teachers have finally been found out for what they are - lazy, uneducated and whining spongers.

They've had it so good for too long like the Church, guards and politicians in this country. They think they're above reproach. Well, the tide has finally come in for them. They'll pass it off as some form of inherent jealousy or a case of us being old enough now to rebel against those who used to tell them to shut up or read on.

Enough is enough. I call on the govt to abandon the Summer holidays and demand that no teacher leaves his post until 6pm. Also, back to work the day after St Stephen's to clean their rooms or something.

And don't get me started on nurses.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

I always found the female teachers you'd meet in Flannery's or Copper Face Jacks a bit looser than the other women like the Nurses and Ban Gardai..
Though they were only good for the riding,you'd never dream of taking one home to meet the Mammy,thats what the Nurses were for..

Apart from Tony Baloney's wife....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on February 21, 2011, 11:03:02 PM
In all honesty, this thread is perhaps the moment things change utterly for the teaching profession. It is obvious that from the insightful postings above on the issue that teachers have finally been found out for what they are - lazy, uneducated and whining spongers.

They've had it so good for too long like the Church, guards and politicians in this country. They think they're above reproach. Well, the tide has finally come in for them. They'll pass it off as some form of inherent jealousy or a case of us being old enough now to rebel against those who used to tell them to shut up or read on.

Enough is enough. I call on the govt to abandon the Summer holidays and demand that no teacher leaves his post until 6pm. Also, back to work the day after St Stephen's to clean their rooms or something.

Good man.

They don't have guards in Glenavy. Fire guards? Shin guards? Mud guards?

ballinaman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 21, 2011, 11:04:04 PM
I always found the female teachers you'd meet in Flannery's or Copper Face Jacks a bit looser than the other women like the Nurses and Ban Gardai..
Though they were only good for the riding,you'd never dream of taking one home to meet the Mammy,thats what the Nurses were for..
True that, Quinns or McGowans on nights with St Pats class parties.....fish...barrel...shotgun!

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 11:06:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 21, 2011, 11:03:02 PM

Good man.

They don't have guards in Glenavy. Fire guards? Shin guards? Mud guards?

Sorry, I meant guide dogs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

So you married a Nurse you met in Flannery's?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on February 21, 2011, 11:08:22 PM
True that, Quinns or McGowans on nights with St Pats class parties.....fish...barrel...shotgun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIIwqafrO4&feature=fvst
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Quote from: Minder on February 21, 2011, 10:27:50 PM
What are the employment prospects in the occupied six like for students currently at St  Marys? Friend, who is a teacher, said he was talking to one of his old lecturers at St Marys and he reckoned class sizes were well down on previous years and quite a few of the students would have to go to England to get jobs. Curious as my brother in law is at Queens and is thinking of giving teaching a lash.

I'm in England at the moment doing my pgce in primary teaching. I am coming home in June and hoping that I will get enough sub teaching to keep me going until I get a full time post. I have been told it could take me a few years to get any sort of permanent job  >:( 

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 21, 2011, 11:12:16 PM

So you married a Nurse you met in Flannery's?

Flannerys isn't in Kilkenny.
MWWSI 2017

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on February 21, 2011, 09:45:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2011, 09:14:52 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2011, 07:40:27 PM
I'm just seeing this thread for the first time now, haven't read it all.

My sister's a principal and I can tell you some stories about what she saw when working her way up that ladder in the comprehensive system in England.

Teaching a lesson takes a bit longer than the half hour it takes to teach it to one class.  You'll have to teach it to several classes during the day.  You have to plan the lesson ahead of time, something that can add another few hours on the night before.  Then you have to mark the homework from it, add another half hour or an hour for that.

Any time I went to visit my sister during the week she'd come home around the same time as the rest of us (teachers have all sorts of meetings to go to after the pupils have gone) and after grabbing something to eat she'd spend the rest of the evening marking homework from the day and preparing lessons for the next.  You'd be doing well if you have all that done by 9pm.

Then there's the stuff you have to put up with during the day. Imagine you're put in charge of a room of 30 adolescents, maybe three of them want to work, half of them aren't terribly fussed, and then another three of them who are borderline psychotic and violent.  One of them disrupts your nicely planned lesson, you have to discipline him without laying a finger on him, and keep the rest of the class under control without screaming at the top of your lungs (because that would be a sure sign that you've lost it).  You put him outside the room and he's making gorilla noises, beating his chest and throwing himself up against the door, and half the class is laughing at him instead of learning.*  What do you do now, hmm? How would you deal with it? "Kick the crap out of him?" If you want to get fired, do time, and never work as a teacher again, go right ahead.

Seriously lads, do you think you could do it?

And then you get up and do it all again the following day.  I'll tell you one thing, if I had to do that I'd make sure I had all the holidays I could take.  You're basically working from 8am to 9pm in a stressful job five days a week.  Just because you're working at home doesn't mean it's not work.  Sure plenty of people in the private sector 'telecommute' by working remotely from a home office.  Are they not really working because they happen to be based at home?

But then what do I know? 

I'll tell you what.  If teaching's such a handy number and so well paid, why don't youse all become teachers?  Sure if it's just "babysitting" as someone called it and only worth minimum wage then it can't be that important, eh?  Churning out the next generation and being the deciding factor in whether or not someone turns out a criminal or a productive member of society, sure how could anyone consider that an important job? "Education?" Ha! Who needs it?

::)

*Based on actual events and fairly typical in some schools.
f**k them, a lot of them are dregs that couldn't work in the private sector. They go from college to school without seeing a proper days work or getting any life skills. Most of them would be unemployable in the real world. Gone are the days when teaching was a calling. It's now a handy number for the educationally substandard. The missus is in charge of new teachers and has had to correct spelling and grammar errors in their work.

*If this missus is reading this, I don't mean you dear!

Tell us what a 'proper day's work' is or indeed what the 'real world' is.
What everyone outside the teaching profession does and every place of employment outside of schools, respectively.

Rubbish reply. Pathetic !

Put on the spot and you crumbled .
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gaffer on February 22, 2011, 12:23:13 AM

I'd love to put some of these boys in front of a room full of teenagers from Ballymun and asked to keep them under control and teach them something they don't want to learn.  We'd soon see how easy it is.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2011, 01:41:49 AM

I'd love to put some of these boys in front of a room full of teenagers from Ballymun and asked to keep them under control and teach them something they don't want to learn.  We'd soon see how easy it is.
Again, we could all outline the stresses and strains of our jobs and ask the same question. What makes you think teachers are so special?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

If you taught in Ballymun you would probably be one of those teachers who volunteer to come in early a few mornings a week to provide breakfasts to that percentage of its kids who would otherwise sit there hungry.
MWWSI 2017

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 22, 2011, 09:18:04 AM

Again, we could all outline the stresses and strains of our jobs and ask the same question. What makes you think teachers are so special?

I didn't say they were "special" or that their jobs are the most stressful. I said that teaching is an important job (really, it's a big deal whether or not your child goes on to get a degree or not) and that it's not the "cushy number" that the know-alls on this thread are making it out to be.