Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Quote from: Gnevin on March 28, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2009, 11:48:35 AM
The many people on this board who sit posting on here during supposed work hours have some cheek giving teachers stick.  They do get loads of holidays but at least they do some work when they're in their place of employment.
So you work 8 hours a day? Non stop ,no talking no nothing?

I'm not a teacher.  I go on here sometimes on my lunch break and can't believe how people with weekday jobs post so much during the day on here.  You'd be sacked for doing it where I work and rightly so.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 04:47:03 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2009, 04:02:47 PM
A lot of people do extra work without being paid for it Gaffer and they don't have 3 months holidays, the job security you lot do or the guaranteed pay rises - stop moaning.

Like who?
Well me and most people I know!

Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2009, 05:05:34 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 28, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2009, 11:48:35 AM
The many people on this board who sit posting on here during supposed work hours have some cheek giving teachers stick.  They do get loads of holidays but at least they do some work when they're in their place of employment.
So you work 8 hours a day? Non stop ,no talking no nothing?

I'm not a teacher.  I go on here sometimes on my lunch break and can't believe how people with weekday jobs post so much during the day on here.  You'd be sacked for doing it where I work and rightly so.
Same here, I dont understnad the jobs people have on this board. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rav67

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 03:44:14 PM
Do you enjoy working and not getting paid for it?

It's not like you're paid by the hour.  You get a salary, in return for that salary it should be demanded that you will mark kids' work and prepare at home.  What I'm trying to say is you do get paid for work at home really as it is implied in the contract.  If you didn't do it you would be a pretty shit teacher.  I take work home as well when I have to but I don;t consider it to be unpaid work, if you don't want to be crap at your job you have to do it.

Tyrones own

Right then let me ask it another way having taken the above into account....how many of the teachers on here would swap with any
of the trades people for instance on the outside with their lack of job security, braving the cold day in day out, no sick days, few if any paid holidays,
and that's without even getting in to the summers off, no union sponsored pay raises most every year and on and on?
Do ye really have it that bad lads?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

Gaffer
What jobs are they?

A wide variety, do you seriously think teachers are the only profession/job where people have to work extra to keep on top of things?

Why is it that teachers are so out of touch with reality?

Tyrones own

It's priced in to the contract Gaffer as mentioned above, when do you think these jobs get priced, materials and supplies get moved on and off
the job etc, it's a bit naive to think that teachers are the only ones that get to bring work home with them.
Now I'm not saying for a minute that teachers don't do a lot more work than what the average person thinks but my last post
kinda blows the argument wide open in that I'd hazard a guess that not one of you would give up what you have in comparison,
would I be right?
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 05:57:25 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on March 28, 2009, 05:50:32 PM
Right then let me ask it another way having taken the above into account....how many of the teachers on here would swap with any
of the trades people for instance on the outside with their lack of job security, braving the cold day in day out, no sick days, few if any paid holidays,
and that's without even getting in to the summers off, no union sponsored pay raises most every year and on and on?
Do ye really have it that bad lads?

Do you know any tradesman who would work for nothing in the evenings after getting home from work?

Yes!

Tyrones own

Na!

Tradsemen would soon want back to their former jobs once they realise teaching isn't the 'handy aul number'  alot of them think it is now.

Also, once they realise that they have to carry work home with them night after night  and that there is no such thing as overtime they ll soon change teir attitude.

Yes but you've actually reversed my argument ;) Where did I say any of us felt that we'd, a) be cut out for the job or b)even want the job
No my point was that if you think you have it so tough would you consider swapping your profession with us on the outside????
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 06:20:14 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on March 28, 2009, 06:07:02 PM
It's priced in to the contract Gaffer as mentioned above, when do you think these jobs get priced, materials and supplies get moved on and off
the job etc, it's a bit naive to think that teachers are the only ones that get to bring work home with them.
Now I'm not saying for a minute that teachers don't do a lot more work than what the average person thinks but my last post
kinda blows the argument wide open in that I'd hazard a guess that not one of you would give up what you have in comparison,
would I be right?

But that work at home is part of your job when you are self employed. The time you put in is an investment . When you are pricing a job you are pricing labour which includes the preparation at home. You are not doing it for nothing.

Yes and with the investment the education board makes in offering you boy's the benefits package you receive adding of course the 6 or 8 weeks
paid holiday in the summer months, where do you get off in thinking you're not paid to mark a few sums at home :-\
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

You're wasting your breath TO, teachers are the only people who've to work extra hours for nothing to keep on top of things or take work home with them  ::)
While people are being made redundant, forced to take pay cuts etc they've got it the worst because they've to mark a few books at night.  ::)

Tyrones own

QuoteYou said SWAP which means that a tradesman will have to come in to my class while I m out on the building site.

Feck you'll do anything but answer the question...I'll try once more;
Considering how tough ye have it having to bring work home with you, would you personally consider leaving it to come out to the outside
to work your ass off and take a feed of bad manners with little to no benefits????...it shouldn't be that difficult to answer unless of course the answer
is a big fat fcuk no which I suspect it probably would be considering the difficulty you seem to have in answering a simple question, would then in
turn render your argument ...well a non argument!
  - Walter Lippmann

Gnevin

The work at home is part of the job ,you knew what you where signing on for. Your like a fireman complaining he has to fight fires or the bunch of moaners who moan about living next door too Croker. Thats the way it's been for years it didn't suddenly become part of the job in recent times.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tyrones own

QuoteI do work my hole off and take a feed of bad manners, TO. I'm a teacher !!!
If taking a bit of back cheek from your students is your general idea of bad manners then I think you'd be safer staying where you are!

QuoteAnswer to your question is YES!!
I would love to come to the outside!!!!
So what's stopping you then if it's so bad where you are??

QuoteNow, whats that about a benefits package for teachers.
Paid 6 or 8 week holiday during the summer months,
Christmas break..Halloween break, mid term break/ Easter break, school trips.........................
Paid sick days,
predetermined annual or bi annual pay raises whether it's personally merited or not.
That's just off the top of my head... are there any I've left out?
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 06:50:48 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 28, 2009, 06:44:43 PM
The work at home is part of the job ,you knew what you where signing on for. Your like a fireman complaining he has to fight fires or the bunch of moaners who moan about living next door too Croker. Thats the way it's been for years it didn't suddenly become part of the job in recent times.

The work at home is not part of the job.

The time you get paid for is in your contract and that time is worked in school during the day. 
You should manage your time a bit better.

pintsofguinness

QuotePaid 6 or 8 week holiday during the summer months,
Christmas break..Halloween break, mid term break/ Easter break, school trips.........................
Paid sick days,
predetermined annual or bi annual pay raises whether it's personally merited or not.
That's just off the top of my head... are there any I've left out?

Job for life
backing of a union

QuoteIf taking a bit of back cheek from your students is your general idea of bad manners then I think you'd be safer staying where you are!
Agree, at least gaffer you can punish someone giving you bad manners, try being in a job where youve to deal with members of public all day talking to you like a piece of shit and you have to stand there with a smile on your face and take it.