Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 13, 2008, 10:48:28 PM
Teachers are a pain in the hole..For ever complaining about the hours they work  ::) and how stressfull their jobs are  ::)
As if they had the most important job known to man and no other occupation was stressful...  ::)
As for the hours they work  ::) Give me a f**king break

Jeez, LL, you are having one hell of a bad hair day!
You might be writing too fast or else I'm reading too slow but you've lost me in places.
Maybe you'd give us some more detail.
When did you actually hear a teachers complaining about the hours they work?
I don't recall that ever been said anywhere, any time. What the hell passes for education in Laois? They sure complain about how stressful their jobs are, as youseem to be saying about your own job right now!
Did you ever stop to think about the amount of work and missed dinners that go into Cumann na mBunscol? You can add in lots of other extracurricular activities where teachers don't get overtime, travelling expenses or stay on after hours to give some kids extra tuition or every other thing they take on after hours. That's all voluntary unpaid work and still lots of teachers take it on year after year.
You mean that educating the young and the vulnerable is not an important job? I doubt if you ever heard any teacher denying that other jobs are not stressful either.
Go on, admit it; your toolbox was nicked today by one of them @@##@ Traveller fellas you keep going on about, wasn't it?   ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ONeill

Quote from: drici on October 31, 2008, 02:38:53 PM
Times must be rough for a teacher to have to play music at a wedding in Tyrone on the school holidays.

Must say I admire this man, if he exists. He appears to have sacrificed his much-needed rest to doll himself up and travel a long way in order to soothe the ears of a distant community in the midst of the ravages of economic uncertainty.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Teachers are a pain in the hole..For ever complaining about the hours they work  ::) and how stressfull their jobs are  ::)
As if they had the most important job known to man and no other occupation was stressful...  ::)

100% right and now in the midst of economic gloom, we have teachers going on industrial for more money. At a time when thousands of people are losing their jobs and homes, these work-shy heroes (180 x 5 hour days in a school year, jobs for life based on a 15 minute interview etc., most of whom wouldn't last 15 minutes in a real job) have the audacity to ask for a pay increase.

Shameful and just shows how out of touch with reality teachers really are.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

winsamsoon

Saffron i tell you what to do lad. Come into a school for a 5 or 6 week period and sit in classrooms and observe the job a teacher does.(now granted there are exceptions but isn't everyone different) I mean come into a really challenging school with pupils that have special needs and you will know at the end of the 6 week period why they are asking for more money and why they only work a certain amount of hours. It would be physically and sometimes emotionally draining. You are also forgetting the huge amounts of background work that must be done ie at home . So if you haven't experienced it then i would suggest you keep on the down low.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Minder

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 16, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Saffron i tell you what to do lad. Come into a school for a 5 or 6 week period and sit in classrooms and observe the job a teacher does.(now granted there are exceptions but isn't everyone different) I mean come into a really challenging school with pupils that have special needs and you will know at the end of the 6 week period why they are asking for more money and why they only work a certain amount of hours. It would be physically and sometimes emotionally draining. You are also forgetting the huge amounts of background work that must be done ie at home . So if you haven't experienced it then i would suggest you keep on the down low.

SS2 is a teacher i believe
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

winsamsoon

well then he must be being sarcastic or else he works in a complete handy school where the money is given for turning up.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Minder

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 16, 2009, 09:59:40 AM
well then he must be being sarcastic or else he works in a complete handy school where the money is given for turning up.

A bit of both.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Totally agree with SS2. Talk about teachers having their heads up their hole. Teachers are lucky to be in a relatively secure and well paid job during the current time.

FermGael

Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2009, 10:04:14 AM
Toally agree with SS2. Talk about teachers having their heads up their hole. Teachers are lucky to be in a relatively secure and well paid job during the current time.
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 16, 2009, 09:47:44 AM

100% right and now in the midst of economic gloom, we have teachers going on industrial for more money. At a time when thousands of people are losing their jobs and homes, these work-shy heroes (180 x 5 hour days in a school year, jobs for life based on a 15 minute interview etc., most of whom wouldn't last 15 minutes in a real job) have the audacity to ask for a pay increase.

Shameful and just shows how out of touch with reality teachers really are.

I.N.T.O propaganda alert
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

saffron sam2

Quote from: FermGael on January 16, 2009, 10:08:52 AM
I.N.T.O propaganda alert

Not in the INTO by the way, but could either of you, in the light of the current economic position, justify a) the pay rise and b) the industrial action?

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

DrinkingHarp

I agree with winsamsoon.  I dated a girl who taught biology and between grading homework, grading labs and setting up labs she would put in 60-70 hours a week easily. Some teachers do have it handy just like anyone else but some work very hard just like anyone else. As for the school year with summers off, most teachers hit school themselves or workshops during that period.With regards to a job for life, it is wrong for that policy. A teacher should have a yearly review and pass a proficiency test in order to keep teaching.

I feel teachers, nurses, doctors, law enforcement and firefighters are way underpaid for their services they provide compared to an IT person, sales rep, financial trader or broker. Educating the next generation is one of the most important tasks that one can undertake.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

FermGael

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 16, 2009, 10:19:09 AM

Not in the INTO by the way, but could either of you, in the light of the current economic position, justify a) the pay rise and b) the industrial action?

a) Can  jusity a pay rise because we are looking parity with England and Wales.

What i am more concerned with is the rest of the reasons for taking industrial action.
I think it is essential to have an incremental based pay scale for those teachers who just want to TEACH.
To be rewarded for being a "excellent" teacher would be alot more interesting to me than having to wait on HOD jobs, yearhead jobs etc.
Now how you qualify an "excellent"  teacher is open to debate but i think the principle behind it is worth it

b)  The unions have been going on about this for over 2 years.  It should have been sorted by now.
Sometimes you have to take a stand but with current economics the way they are, an all out strike would have went down like a lead balloon.
This was the only option they were left with.

Whether it has the desired affect or not, depends on the members

delboy

As far as i know the industrial action is primarily to bring in the same conditions as exists in other parts of the UK, i don't see how anyone could have a problem with teachers here playing on a level playing field to their counterparts in other parts of the UK.
Some of the oponions on here seem to suggest though that people would be happy to see teachers getting a rough deal here simply because they are in jobs with a degree of permancy greater than their own which to be honest is a bit petty and childish.

ONeill

As far as i know the industrial action is primarily to bring in the same conditions as exists in other parts of the UK, i don't see how anyone could have a problem with teachers here playing on a level playing field to their counterparts in other parts of the UK.

This is still very much a grey area. With a different set-up in terms of holidays etc across the water there is no agreed consensus on the parity issue.

Fermgael's initial point about rewarding 'teachers' as opposed to those who receive financial recognition for noting down when a school bus is being used would be a minor bugbear of mine. But, unfortunately, it is next to impossible gathering conclusive evidence that one teacher's excellence excels another with subject, academic level of group and age differences.

teachers getting a rough deal

That's pushing it. Nurses get a rough deal.

FermGael

Quote from: ONeill on January 16, 2009, 12:08:52 PM

Fermgael's initial point about rewarding 'teachers' as opposed to those who receive financial recognition for noting down when a school bus is being used would be a minor bugbear of mine. But, unfortunately, it is next to impossible gathering conclusive evidence that one teacher's excellence excels another with subject, academic level of group and age differences.

That's pushing it. Nurses get a rough deal.

Agreed it is hard to define an "excellent" teacher but it is something that needs to be explored.

Nurses get an awful rough deal.