Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

A friend of mine is teaching in the North but its a temporary job.
He has seen a job that is close to him and permanent but it is in the South.
School is 30 minutes drive for him but he is wondering how does he go about applying?
I have looked at the job description on line and it states that you need the following to apply:

Referees (name, role, contact no.)

CV (Unbound/Slide Binder)

Teaching Council Registration

Does this mean all he needs is a C.V and a covering letter ?
Would he have much hassle getting a Teacher Council Registration if he has the equivalent in the North?

Thanks in advance because I have been absolutely no help to him.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

guy crouchback

if he is a primary teacher he is wasting his time, unless he knows the principle and chairman of the board of management. that job is long gone, the interview process is just a sham. the level of nepotism cronyism and clientism in the primary school job market in the south is hard to grasp if you have not been at the sharp end of it.
nowadays i would say that 99.9% of all jobs are allocated  before any interviews are conducted and the person who gets the job will have done so through contacts and family connections.

even during the boom when there were more jobs then teachres id say 80% of all job were allocated in this way ,it is gombeen ireland at its very worst.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

armaghniac

Leaving aside nepotism, presumably there are always teachers who have been doing hours in schools and these are always in pole position for a permanent job? Just as FermGael's mate would be in with a good chance in the school where he is temporary , the devil you know and all that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2014, 04:19:00 PM
Leaving aside nepotism, presumably there are always teachers who have been doing hours in schools and these are always in pole position for a permanent job? Just as FermGael's mate would be in with a good chance in the school where he is temporary , the devil you know and all that.

Again not always the case, unless they are doing a decent job then they won't be given the job, performance and results (if you are on a temp contract) will give you the job  (via a interview) also some of the board sit on these interview panels. Nepotism though is still rife in all types of jobs in N.I .

Would good GAA connections still get you in teaching jobs down south?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

My mate who trained with me in England was applying for jobs at home and got an interview at a secondary school in the North (I'll not name the school) and the day BEFORE the interview he got a letter thanking him for turning up and informing him that, with regret, that he didn't on this occasion get the job. He went to the interview as he had already flights booked etc and apparently a mix up in the office meant the letters were posted too early. Needless to say they were a bit embarrassed. He went home and worked as a substitute teacher for 2 and a half years and applying for every suitable job going before finally moving back to England. It looks like you must be trained in a particular Uni or have some connections to get your foot in the door in some places, but I suppose that's like anywhere.
That was never a square ball!!

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2014, 06:07:21 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2014, 04:19:00 PM

Again not always the case, unless they are doing a decent job then they won't be given the job, performance and results (if you are on a temp contract) will give you the job  (via a interview) also some of the board sit on these interview panels. Nepotism though is still rife in all types of jobs in N.I .

Would good GAA connections still get you in teaching jobs down south?
With regards to teaching jobs in 'the North', are there many teachers from a protestant / unionist background in catholic maintained schools?  A (Protestant) pal of mine recently got a job in a Belfast grammar school.  Would this still be quite rare?

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2014, 09:27:59 PM
Eh, could you let me know his name and which school he is preaching his hatred in so that I can start a Facebook campaign to oust him.

I'm sure he is a model teacher.

In general though this temporary thing is an illustration of the bollix often found in the public sector. In the private sector  if a good person was there they'd just give him a long term job, with a fake advertising of a post.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Eh, could you let me know his name and which school he is preaching his hatred in so that I can start a Facebook campaign to oust him.
He's teacher not a preacher.

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2014, 09:31:28 PM

In general though this temporary thing is an illustration of the bollix often found in the public sector. In the private sector  if a good person was there they'd just give him a long term job, with a fake advertising of a post.

Aye, but in the private sector you are more than likely monitored in terms of performance, from my experience the same cannot be said of the teaching profession and public sector in general.

Have you ever heard of a civil servant or teacher getting the boot for poor performance? Once you're in, you're there for life if you so choose.

HS,
I think your comment flew over the heads of some.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on May 28, 2014, 01:25:54 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 28, 2014, 01:10:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2014, 09:31:28 PM

Aye, but in the private sector you are more than likely monitored in terms of performance, from my experience the same cannot be said of the teaching profession and public sector in general.

Have you ever heard of a civil servant or teacher getting the boot for poor performance? Once you're in, you're there for life if you so choose.

HS,
I think your comment flew over the heads of some.

Not Armaghniac.....
A very "North Belfast" specific comment...

delgany

I'd imagine it was a CCMS school. Without doubt, your mate could put in a claim against the school on fair employment grounds ... They would get a few pound ..... Many ads in irish news should have a sub section (stating wheter a temp teacher is in the post - so don't bother applying !!!     

JimStynes

Back on the 20th ffs, might as well not even call that summer holidays  ;)

P3/4 this year as well  :-\

Gaffer

Quote from: JimStynes on August 05, 2014, 10:56:23 PM

And an inspection looming?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

johnneycool

Quote from: JimStynes on August 05, 2014, 10:56:23 PM

Holy Communion???