Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopmine

Hey lads anyone finish the PDE and head across the water here. Looking at London in September as there is a slim chance of anything coming up.

ONeill

An Roinn Oideachais, Teach Ráth Giall, 43 Bóthar Bhaile Aodha, Ráth Giall, Beannchar, Co an Dúin BT19 7PR

Department of Education, Rathgael House, 43 Balloo Road, Rathgill, Bangor, Co Down BT19 7PR

Männystrie o Lear, Rathgael Hoose, 43 Balloo Róad, Rathgill, Bang'r, Coontie Doon BT19 7PR
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Any of ye privileged to get the week off for the mid-term?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2014, 08:43:35 PM
Another week off? Sure yer only back after Christmas holidays what would you want another week off for? It's not like ye work that hard.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Yip, we get off next Friday for a well deserved week off   ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: laoislad on February 07, 2014, 08:57:29 PM
Another week off? Sure yer only back after Christmas holidays what would you want another week off for? It's not like ye work that hard.
Don't worry LL, I only get 2 days!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

My history teacher from Nathy's died at 56 last week from Motor Neurone Disease, Father Andrew Finan. He was the only teacher I had all five years.

We drove him absolutely mental and he couldn't control a class for love or money but he has a wealth of knowledge and passion. He'd talk openly about almost any topic with students, from his appreciation of the Simpsons, to his love of Jeff Sterling and the Sky Sports News match-day show to the sillier aspects of Catholicism. He was intelligent in an earthy, unpretentious way that very few people I have met are. He always seemed like he was happiest when he was sharing his passions with others.

He was one of the only teachers who was more concerned about teaching than he was about getting students over the Leaving Cert and, honestly, when all the other memories of classes and fretting over points long since have faded I'll always remember the passion he had, it was special.

http://www.stnathys.com/?page_id=3989

Robur Nathaei.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2014, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 07, 2014, 08:57:29 PM
Don't worry LL, I only get 2 days!

And are ye getting paid for these days?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2014, 11:16:38 PM
He was intelligent in an earthy, unpretentious way that very few people I have met are. He always seemed like he was happiest when he was sharing his passions with others.

He was one of the only teachers who was more concerned about teaching than he was about getting students over the Leaving Cert and, honestly, when all the other memories of classes and fretting over points long since have faded I'll always remember the passion he had, it was special.

I think the penny is dropping finally that this is real teaching. A good teacher can get a good pupil the top grade at A Level/Leaving Cert. An exceptional teacher can do that and make the experience enjoyable.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Secondary School Teachers get 12 paid weeks off in the Summer, approx 2 weeks at Xmas and say another 1 week at Easter. Lets not add in all the other random days they get off.

So that Is 15 weeks off (probably being very generous to teachers). Now lets minus the 3 weeks a new starter would have as annual leave in most other jobs (ie 12 weeks extra). Going on the pre-Jan 2011 payscales, a new stater in Dec 2010/Sept 2010 would now be on €33,041 (Ignoring all the other payments they can get).

So they get €33,041 for 37 weeks actually worked. Lets average that out to 49 weeks work that everyone else does (early part of career). So that means that if they had to work 49 weeks like everyone else on their rate of pay they would in fact be 3 years into their job on €43,757 a year.

If my maths are correct (and there is a good chance I have made an error) then someone 25 years into their career would be on €59,359 or €78,610 if the were to actually work a 49 week year.

Wildweasel74

Dont know why we give it so bad to teachers, alot on here am sure had a chance to become teachers, i could off, but it wasnt for me, and decided on a building bckground finally ending up as a building surveyor.I knew the holidays, it was what my parents wanted me to do but wasnt my thing. Yes i look on on the good holidays especially in the summer with abit of envy but dont really give out about cause i could went down that path if i had wished.

BennyHarp

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 07, 2014, 11:41:13 PM
Secondary School Teachers get 12 paid weeks off in the Summer, approx 2 weeks at Xmas and say another 1 week at Easter. Lets not add in all the other random days they get off.

So that Is 15 weeks off (probably being very generous to teachers). Now lets minus the 3 weeks a new starter would have as annual leave in most other jobs (ie 12 weeks extra). Going on the pre-Jan 2011 payscales, a new stater in Dec 2010/Sept 2010 would now be on €33,041 (Ignoring all the other payments they can get).

So they get €33,041 for 37 weeks actually worked. Lets average that out to 49 weeks work that everyone else does (early part of career). So that means that if they had to work 49 weeks like everyone else on their rate of pay they would in fact be 3 years into their job on €43,757 a year.

If my maths are correct (and there is a good chance I have made an error) then someone 25 years into their career would be on €59,359 or €78,610 if the were to actually work a 49 week year.

And your point is?
That was never a square ball!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2014, 12:24:17 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 07, 2014, 11:41:13 PM

And your point is?

Seriously overpaid for the hours they actually work.

ONeill

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2014, 01:11:55 AM
We're fackin rich.

Saying you are overpaid is not the same as saying you are rich.