Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

After reading that, if I worked in his school I would volunteer for bog all .

Mouth !!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaffer on April 17, 2012, 10:43:23 PM

Mouth !!!
Do teachers earn more on average in the south?

oakleafgael

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 18, 2012, 07:47:18 PM

Mouth !!!

There salary would be higher than the comparabe salary in the North but take home pay wouldnt be that different for an ordinary teacher.

maggie

I would be interested to see Master O'Rourke's payslip.

Orchardman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 18, 2012, 07:47:18 PM

Mouth !!!

I don't have a perm teaching job, it's a nightmare trying to even see a position to apply for, so I wouldn't be too annoyed with him for speaking out. I have subbed in the south before but i wudn't be an expert on the whole croke park deal, many seem to say it has lead to divided staff rooms.

In terms of pay, a starting teacher in the north only gets around 20k, where it was 31K euro in the south, though this may have come to 28k or so since cutbacks. Big difference though considering my mates i trained with finish teaching at end of may and have a 3 month summer holiday, i'd love to get stuck into that!

By the way, i don't totally blame just cut backs for lack of jobs, truth is there is far too many trained teachers, including myself. I qualified in 2008, and even before that i was fully aware that it was really difficult to get jobs. It's unreal the amount the people that continue to do teaching courses, even worse that the colleges get state funding for taking in such numbers

Tony Baloney

Aye it is certainly strange that so many people continue to apply for teaching jobs and alsp that the colleges don't get their places slashed. There are apparently 8500 subs in the north and in 2011 just under half of them didnt get a single days subbing. That tells its own story.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 18, 2012, 09:19:52 PM
Aye it is certainly strange that so many people continue to apply for teaching jobs and alsp that the colleges don't get their places slashed. There are apparently 8500 subs in the north and in 2011 just under half of them didnt get a single days subbing. That tells its own story.

I think something has to be done about the amount of teachers churned out of all the colleges every year. At least the 4 year course is due to be brought in starting from next September or else it has started this year for current first year students. I also know many who do the online course and while it is legitimate, you'd wonder if the amount of money is worth it after all is said and done. I'm one of the lucky few who has a maternity leave this year. The panel lists are out on Monday for the redeployment of teachers in the South. It will make interesting reading.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Just Puck It

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 18, 2012, 09:19:52 PM

Not picking holes in the fact that there are far too many people being trained as teachers (I'm currently at St Mary's University College)  but you need to be aware of where the figures for these surveys come from.  The 8500 figure comes from the number of teachers who are on the subbing register, but not all of these teachers are even looking for employment.  A huge majority are those who have put in their days teaching and have taken a redundancy package, and have now placed themselves on the subbing list for odd day of teaching here or there.

Orchardman

that's true, id say the real figure is around 4-5,000, which is still a lot. I'd imagine anyone who was really looking teaching work this year would have got at least 1 day!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

The missus finally finished her school inspection yesterday! Might get a shirt ironed for work now  :)

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 17, 2012, 10:41:09 PM
The missus finally finished her school inspection yesterday! Might get a shirt ironed for work now  :)

They didn't consider a boycott or are they not INTO members?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Hardy

What's all the sweat about school inspections? People who work in the private sector have their work inspected every day, de facto. And there are consequences if it's not up to par.

deiseach

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2012, 09:47:32 PM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-boys-including-mick-wallaces-son-expelled-over-facebook-sex-claims-about-teachers-3110904.html

What do ye make of this? Expulsion a bit harsh or not?

No! Jesus Christ, put yourself in the position of someone being smeared in this manner on Facebook, especially someone who is in loco parentis. And you're suggesting they should have go back in and face the little shits? They should be grateful they're not in jail