County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Scullion was a great player in his time.

WT4E

Quote from: In hiding on October 23, 2017, 10:56:32 PM
Quote from: ck on October 23, 2017, 10:46:47 PM
Cathal Corey has never managed a county team at any level or even been part of a county setup. Significantly he went for county underage jobs in his native Tyrone but was not successful. His claim to fame seems to be applying for the Donegal job and again was unsuccessful. Now hes managing Sligo senior team. I despair!
Wow! Sligo are taking a big leap of faith there

Cathal is a clubman of my own.

He does lack inter county experience but he's a man that puts in a massive commitment and effort and players tend to get on with him as he has a good personality.

To say his claim to fame is nearly getting the Donegal job is unfair - He took Glenties to an Ulster Club final and has plenty of experience throughout the club scene and would have learned from alot of managers. I wouldn't consider there to be much difference between him and Rory Gallagher (both McGuinness no 2's and took over after although when Cathal took over he had much more success than Gallagher)

The reason i can see Scullion in is because Scullion took our club with Corey as No2 in his first experience in coaching from 1998 - 2001 (Scullion bringing us from the brink of going to Junior football to contesting right at the top of Senior by the end and leading the path to one of our better periods where we topped the div 1 league one season). Scullion is a serious coach.

Time will tell with the appointment but I think after season 1 Sligo will be better than they where last year.

the goal was on

Tony scullion been with Derry last couple of years with barton, was seen when they won, never seen when they lost, so was'nt seen much! He cannot be with Sligo though as his role with ulster council only allows him to work with his own club or county

WT4E

Quote from: the goal was on on October 24, 2017, 10:28:12 AM
Tony scullion been with Derry last couple of years with barton, was seen when they won, never seen when they lost, so was'nt seen much! He cannot be with Sligo though as his role with ulster council only allows him to work with his own club or county

I believe that rule applies to Ulster only - As its in Connacht I believe its okay.

magpie seanie

Interesting WT4E. We all wish him well.

the goal was on

so he is paid to develop football in ulster but is able to work for connacht for what could be percieved a rival province.

Rossfan

Quote from: the goal was on on October 24, 2017, 11:43:53 AM
so he is paid to develop football in ulster but is able to work for connacht for what could be percieved a rival province.
Just an unpaid free time activity with Sligo. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

WT4E

Quote from: the goal was on on October 24, 2017, 11:43:53 AM

When you put it like that doesn't make sense - maybe i'm wrong!

sligoman2

I like the decision.  It's better we get a coach that's hungry and trying to make a name for himself than someone who has been there done that as all of the real good ones are already snapped up.
I obviously know nothing about him but he is coming in at a good time imo.  The new COE and the underage competitiveness and school success has led to a decent pipeline of good talent.  Good to hear that some people who actually know Cathal have good things to say about him. A hungry manager and a team starved for success might be a good combination.

I hope I'm right on this one.. I have a good feeling...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

I'm just happy FOD didn't go for it. There would be reason to worry for us in that case.

SLIGONIAN

My understanding is FOD was interviewed Syferus

My thoughts on the Corey as manager are mixed, he interviewed well but let us put this in perspective, people can bluff interviews and talk the talk, from my research he was turned down by Donegal twice, derry and Fermanagh, that for me doesn't send the right message, he has lots of experience in interviews too it must be said so it was bound to interview well, he won Donegal SFC with Naomh Conaill in 2010, he had previously being joint manager with McGuinness the year before. Naomh Conaill went on to the Ulster final but were beaten by cross, hes managed a few clubs and Jordanstown, most recently Truagh Gaels in Monaghan who had a decent senior campaign this year. Interesting to that he ended up with Truagh Gaels in Monaghan last yr.

I wasn't at the interviews but it is curious that McGuinness never got him involved in his Donegal set ups considering they were joint managers in 09 when they lost county final. That would have been a key question to ask for me. I would of seeked a reference from McGuinness on him, maybe they did.

He hasn't any intercounty experience, which is a big worry. Intercounty is a different ball game to club, he will have a lot learning to do. Finances probably decided it sadly.

The only saving grace for me is his backroom team, Rooney is a great link for the u21s of last yr and will bring enthusiasm, energy to it, Scullion is a very highly rated coach and will help defensive strategy, Gilligan will be forwards coach.

His main task is to revamp the squad and team, some of the older players need to be thanked and moved on, he also needs to be his own man and not listen to the people who usually find a way of getting into the ear of our county managers in Sligo.

I wish them all the best but it is a very risky appointment and doesn't hint of any ambition on the CBs part, it go either way but no guarantee of success at all. His team selections during the FBD league will tell us a lot. He needs to work the squad hard on strength and conditioning as I feel we are lagging behind on that front.

It has to be said the County board press release was very poor last night honestly disapppointing but not surprising and is yet another insight into how they are run. To put down him being interviewed by Donegal as some sort of achievement is very puzzling and strange.

In conclusion its another obscure high risk appointment with no guarantee of progression or success as we don't really know what we are getting, but I wish him all the best
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman2

Was Jim Gavin high risk when he took over Dublin?  No senior county management experience?

Haven't most successful county managers had the most success in their first manager Job?

What county manager in the last 20 years has won an All-Ireland as a manager for a second time?  Jack O'connor (And I'm not even sure about that).

Way too much crap and talk about former experience imo.  As I said earlier, he's hungry, the back room team (if confirmed) looks good, we have a decent squad and I'm optimistic about this...

Good luck Cathal
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Orchard park

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 25, 2017, 01:13:53 PM
Was Jim Gavin high risk when he took over Dublin?  No senior county management experience?

Haven't most successful county managers had the most success in their first manager Job?

What county manager in the last 20 years has won an All-Ireland as a manager for a second time?  Jack O'connor (And I'm not even sure about that).

Way too much crap and talk about former experience imo.  As I said earlier, he's hungry, the back room team (if confirmed) looks good, we have a decent squad and I'm optimistic about this...

Good luck Cathal

Jim Gavin as a successful all ireland u21 winning manager in the same county was about as low risk as possible and was overlooked in 2008 in the rush to bring Vincents men Gilroy and Whelan on board

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 25, 2017, 01:13:53 PM

Good luck Cathal
Wow, just wow. Your logic is so far off the scale I don't know where to start. You honestly believe mentioning  his lack of intercounty experience is a load of crap.

Compare him to Holmes/Connelly, FOD etc... why don't some Sligo people get it that we needed experience, we've failed with the 1st timers, its not a successful approach but we keep doing it.

Jim Gavin is a terrible example, u21 winner, AI winning player etc... this guy is coming from Truagh Gaels to Sligo. We could get lucky and he's great but he could be a disaster like Jordan/Carew et... Good luck to him.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

It's the fact he was rejected as an underage IC coach that sticks out to me.