2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

You'd feel for Westmeath...
Not that it won't be hard work for Laois, too.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on March 10, 2019, 11:14:21 PM
I didn't even look a Group A, yet.
Jayz, I thought Laois got a rough draw.
I'll stop my whining, now.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Yeah, the league format next year is all about the top teams. At least this year we had 2.5 competitive chances if you include Dublin, next year we will have one, against Carlow. Shockingly badly thought through.

Left O'Moore park with similar optimism after Saturday. Our backs are young (Matthew aside, no offense), increasingly physical and can all hurl well. Forwards are our biggest problem. Mark Kavanagh and Aaron Dunphy can score but nobody else showing. We really need Cha back hurling well and a few more besides. Full forward line offered nothing on Saturday night.

SCFC

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 11, 2019, 08:46:08 AM
Forwards are our biggest problem. Mark Kavanagh and Aaron Dunphy can score but nobody else showing. We really need Cha back hurling well and a few more besides. Full forward line offered nothing on Saturday night.
The elephant in the room is that some of the best forwards in the county aren't involved for whatever reason.
Principally Zane and Roddy.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on March 11, 2019, 10:19:21 AM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 11, 2019, 08:46:08 AM
Forwards are our biggest problem. Mark Kavanagh and Aaron Dunphy can score but nobody else showing. We really need Cha back hurling well and a few more besides. Full forward line offered nothing on Saturday night.
The elephant in the room is that some of the best forwards in the county aren't involved for whatever reason.
Principally Zane and Roddy.
TBF to Zane, his struggles with his knees are well documented at this stage, and he's done his duty.

We all know the story with Roddy sadly. Although I did hear a rumor on Saturday night about a potential return, make of that what you will.

redsetanta

I felt sorry for Neil Foyle Saturday evening. How many times did he actually get the sliotar in hand? Similar to the Dublin game he gets well marshalled and  ends up in a physical battle for teh game. The lad has ability but not sure how he should be played to get the best from him. He certainly stays trying but we're not getting him invloved in the game enough.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Blow-in

burdizzo

Surely we're gone past expecting Zane back?! Sheesh!
As for King, my understanding was the door was always left open for him. Might be hard for him to come back now, though.

redsetanta

I would think Roddy would be more than welcomed back in. We could certainly do with him. I would think he wouldn't take that long to get up to speed and there's 2 months until Mcdonagh cup first game against Offaly. Be great to have him back.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: Batman!!! on March 11, 2019, 10:40:37 AM
Zane done his duty? Oh right.......
Yes he did. You can say what you like about Camross and Zane's attendance record, but he burst his bollocks for us under Cheddar, albeit with some coercion and he fucked himself up in a shithole in Kerry hurling for Laois. Which is more than many have done. Leave him off.

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on March 11, 2019, 10:30:30 AM
I felt sorry for Neil Foyle Saturday evening. How many times did he actually get the sliotar in hand? Similar to the Dublin game he gets well marshalled and  ends up in a physical battle for teh game. The lad has ability but not sure how he should be played to get the best from him. He certainly stays trying but we're not getting him invloved in the game enough.
He could and should have gotten more service, but we saw the difference out there on Saturday when Neil got a ball in front of him and had Morrissey up his hole. Ball fumbled, down the field, Nah killed it on his hurl, into his hand, point. Foyle will have better days than Saturday.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on March 11, 2019, 12:04:05 PM
Yes he did. You can say what you like about Camross and Zane's attendance record, but he burst his bollocks for us under Cheddar, albeit with some coercion and he fucked himself up in a shithole in Kerry hurling for Laois. Which is more than many have done. Leave him off.
How many years did Zane hurl for Laois in total? 4 or 5 maybe? He was no Tommy Fitz or Matthew Whelan.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 11, 2019, 03:44:29 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 11, 2019, 12:04:05 PM
How many years did Zane hurl for Laois in total? 4 or 5 maybe? He was no Tommy Fitz or Matthew Whelan.
No one called him that. I merely pointed out that he's done his time and has f**k all to give at this stage given his age and injuries. He's maligned sure, but his contribution shouldn't be pissed on either. Cheddar got the best out of him.

Laois Rising

I think Don is correct regarding Zane. Broke his leg in two places in that league game versus Kerry. I don't think he ever returned to quite the same level after that injury but he did give it his all for Cheddar and was one of the key players that pushed Laois forward in those years. 

Joeythelips

Quote from: burdizzo on March 10, 2019, 11:14:21 PM

At least they got promotion but surely there has to be some class of seeding, they have moved them up 2 divisions effectively. All the talk of trying to promote hurling in weaker counties and that happens. Westmeath have been working very hard in recent years and instead of been in group 2 where it would be natural progression (as they would have had a fighting chance at survival) they are in with the big guns. Look at Carlow this year, great work and progress made rather than 4 or 5 hammerings off the likes of Kilkenny and Tipp. But as I have said at least they get promoted rather than have to play Offaly in a relegation play off like it use to be which was the GAA's equivalent to washing their hands of the weaker counties issue.