Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

They are playing in the tournament as an U17 team:. . The other counties obviously never changed their format like at County level?#ulstersaysno

Cavan Gaels couldn't field a team in u20 championship this year. The numbers are not what they were

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2018, 08:45:42 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 08, 2018, 08:34:05 PM
I see a joint Cavan club team is in the Ulster Minor tournament in Belfast tomorrow.
How can Cavan Gaels be in a joint team? The biggest town in Cavan having to merge at minor level - is this a joke?

In my opinion it is a joke. For some amalgamation is necessary but if it's necessary for cavan gaels it because they are not harnessing the kids in their area.

They can't get 15 lads who are minor age from their club ? This must be the biggest joke ever.

How did the county board allow this to go ahead? That's where the fault lies or even to a certain extent, other clubs who didn't argue against this decision.

I can't believe that the Cavan Co. Board allowed this. 

marty34

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 08, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
They are playing in the tournament as an U17 team:. . The other counties obviously never changed their format like at County level?#ulstersaysno

Cavan Gaels couldn't field a team in u20 championship this year. The numbers are not what they were

I realise there are probably small rural clubs in places like west Cavan who have to join together because of the lack of numbers - but Cavan Gaels? It's a joke.

Itchy

Rodney, if gaels can't field a team at any level it's because of mis management in their club or dare I say an elitist attitude at underage which means they are losing fringe players. Co board should be refusing this amalgamation.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2018, 09:26:30 PM

Rodney, if gaels can't field a team at any level it's because of mis management in their club or dare I say an elitist attitude at underage which means they are losing fringe players. Co board should be refusing this amalgamation.

My personal opinion is amalgamations, if they win their county c'ship, should not be allowed into the Ulster championship competition e.g. the St. Paul's Tournament or Creggan's U21 tournament. The last 'single club' team should progress.

In Ulster colleges hurling does this i.e. An DĂșn (combined Down schools) won the Mageean in hurling last month but are not allowed to progress to the All Irelan 'B' semi-final - this honour goes to St. Pat's Maghera...even though they were beat in the final. 

rodney trotter

Yes, but the schools competition is an All Ireland competition.. This is run by a club in Belfast St Pauls. Not an official Gaa competition.
It would be fair to let non amalgamation enter but that's up to the St Paul's club

The Kerry  senior championship has divisional teams and 8 senior teams. A Divisional team obviously can't play in munster club so it would be of the 8 teams, whoever faired best.

marty34

Regardless, I don't think think joined up teams should go any further if they win county. My main point is that I can't believe a club like Cavan Gaels, with such tradition etc. cannot field 15 players at this age group. This is unreal.

A big town like Cavan. That's like saying Omagh can't field a minor team or St. Eunan's in Letterkenny can't field at this level.

Anybody know anymore about this story? Was other clubs in Cavan protesting when it went to board level?

rodney trotter

If the numbers aren't continually there that's the way it goes. Cavan Gaels have been joined for a couple of years at Minor.
Drumalee are in Cavan Town too, and use to be good underage. They can barely get a team now, and are a junior club now. Some players from around Cavan Town play with Butlersbridge.
More from around the town area starting to play with Killygarry, who the Gaels are joined with

Denn Forever

So will we be losing our Manager for the McKenna Cup?  Well done Mullaneacta (phonetic).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

Itchy

I'm sure he will double job sure they've no game till February.

Incredible achievement for Mickey. Any Cavan man asked into the panel that refused should be looking at those scenes and realising what is possible if they'd only pull up their socks and work with the new manager.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Itchy on December 09, 2018, 04:34:30 PM
I'm sure he will double job sure they've no game till February.

Incredible achievement for Mickey. Any Cavan man asked into the panel that refused should be looking at those scenes and realising what is possible if they'd only pull up their socks and work with the new manager.

Anthony Cunningham double jobbed with Garrycastle and Galway senior hurlers in 2012 and led both to All Ireland finals. If Mickey can get the same type of desire,commitment and work rate out of Cavan they should stay up in Div one against the odds

scoopmine

Westside

Well lads anyone in Breffni today to give a match report?

Itchy

I was at it. Hard to take a lot from it, experimental teams and experimental rules. Loads of errors on both sides. Cavan shooting was better than Downs but in the end down had 3 great chances for goals and only took 1.

The new lads looked light and nervous, pierce Smith did ok. Cadden from Ramor decent. Argue looked the part in midfield, he'll be an asset. Conor Madden was brave, took on two big scores and landed both including a 55m skyscraper to win it. Tactic wise we played a zonal formation on downs kick outs but it didn't really work as they almost always got out but I suppose that will be worked on. Moynagh lost few pounds too and great to see Jack Brady come on.