Colt

Group B
The Harps
Rosenallis
Slieve Bloom
Shanahoe

burdizzo

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

burdizzo

Heh! Just a casual observation! Surely you'd agree?!

Mossy Bruce

Group A

03 August 2019

18:30  Naomh Fiontáin Maighean Rátha vs Colt/St Fintan's/Coillte

04 August 2019

17:30  Ballyfin CLG vs Clonaslee St Manmans/Cluain na Slí Naomh Meanmain

Group B

02 August 2019

19:30  Slieve Bloom vs Shanahoe

19:30  The Harps vs Rosenallis

From the Laois GAA website, as of 16 July 2019
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

Group A

I was actually at Mountrath and Colt a few weeks away. From a Colt perspective, they were short a few players and didn't have much to play for. They lost by 7/8 but were quite content. Losing the Clonad lads was a blow to them and I'm not sure the belief is there to be real contenders.
I was quite impressed with Mountrath that evening to be fair. They hurled well without it ever reflecting on the scoreboard. They're a physically-imposing team and I do think they could trouble a couple of teams.

Ballyfin, like Colt, will have been disappointed with the breakup of their Gaels amalgamation with Moutmellick. They had a mixed league and having Eanna Lyons back is massive.
They'll get out of the group but I don't see them as likely champions.

Clonaslee look a team in a bit of trouble. A brutal league and an ageing team leaves them looking vulnerable. They'll probably have enough about them to stay up but it's hard to see much more from them.

Group B

Slieve Bloom had a great year in 2018 and their goal must be to stay up this year. The apparent loss of Ben Conroy is a devastating blow and a loss to Shanahoe will leave them staring at a relegation final. They have a couple of good young hurlers coming though but the panel lacks depth and I think they're in for a tough group stage.

Shanahoe are the third team who will regret the break-up of their Gaels amalgamation and will be going all out to get a win against Slieve Bloom in the first game. I believe they trained with Ballypickas for much of the spring so they'd have had decent numbers in the field but it's hard see them competing at the semi-final stage.

The two favourites round off Group B.
Rosenallis are a progressive club and that's reflected in the way they hurl. They're young, athletic and will really fancy thir chances against The Harps. They've progressed steadily over the last couple of years after a mini-blip 3/4 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see them edge The Harps in game 1 but I've a feeling they'll ultimately fall short.

And fall short to The Harps. They simply must be the team to beat this year. There can be no excuses. They've the best team and panel and I'm still of the belief that Fintan Deegan is a very good coach. They'll build their team around Podge Delaney and he's the best player at this grade ahead of Lennon and Lyons. They'll have options up front in John Brophy, Ciaran Comerford and Michael Lanigan. The fear is always that they have a soft underbelly but that can't be a factor this year. Anything less than a Championship win would be a huge blow for a club that look to have a really vibrant underage system in place again.

Prediction:
The Harps to edge Rosenallis in the final.
Mountrath and Ballyfin beaten semi-finalists.
Clonaslee to relegate Slieve Bloom.

Mossy Bruce

A much appreciated synopsis--Thanks, Merman!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

Quote from: The PRO on February 28, 2019, 09:59:40 AM
Group A
Ballyfin
Clonaslee
Mountrath
Colt

Group B
The Harps
Rosenallis
Slieve Bloom
Shanahoe

Colt and Slieve Bloom to be in relegation play-off.

Heshs Umpire

Thanks for the post Merman. A great read. Surely this is The Harps year?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 18, 2019, 11:19:59 AM
Thanks for the post Merman. A great read. Surely this is The Harps year?

They have an unmatched pedigree when it comes to underperforming, but when you look at the other teams, they are all surely too thinly spread to handle Delaney, Comerfords x 2, Boggy, Lanigan etc. all at once. 
Surely!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 16, 2019, 11:09:18 PM
Group B

02 August 2019

19:30  Slieve Bloom vs Shanahoe

19:30  The Harps vs Rosenallis

Go HARPS!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/08/02/this-years-preview-of-the-senior-a-hurling-championship/

Might be of interest Mossy Bruce.
I think the writer greatly inflates the chances of one team in particular but it'll give you an idea of the strengths of each.

SCFC

Quote from: merman on August 02, 2019, 09:05:18 AM
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/08/02/this-years-preview-of-the-senior-a-hurling-championship/

I think the writer greatly inflates the chances of one team in particular but it'll give you an idea of the strengths of each.
I see Mick Meath is injured for Mountrath!🤔 is he any relation of Dion Dublin? Someone failed their spelling test...

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: merman on August 02, 2019, 09:05:18 AM

That's good write-up and overvierw. Thanks, Merman!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

Good win for Mountrath over Colt last night.
Colt had the better forwards I felt but probably lost the battle in the middle of the field. It was a decent game, quite physical but with both teams trying to play pretty open hurling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mountrath were to turn over Ballyfin and top the group. I think Colt will have more than enough to stay up.